GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I rarely see other GSes driving around

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 11:41 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Skinny

You know, Mercedes & BMW are great at keeping customers excited about a product even when it's in the final years of production. Look at BMW for example, they are always coming out with new sport packages, new wheel designs, new features. Lexus doesn't do that. They basically introduce a product, and then leave it alone for 2-3 years, and then give it a slight facelift, add a few minor features, until the next redesign. ANd in between they come up with lame editions like "Coach" or "sport edition". They need to keep introducing new stuff to keep customers enthusiastic about the products.
they have to get them excited every year so that they don't lose the customer, Mercedes and BMW are forced to redesign their cars in a short life span to be in competition. look at the 2002 E class, it looks pretty out dated even when it's an 02, if you look at an 98 or 02 GS, it still feel like a newer car, despite it's minimal change or the rebadge of the 400 to the 430.
Old 11-15-04, 11:49 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by nate579
In the DC area you rarely see GS 430. About 99% of GS's in the Metropolitan Area are 300. As a matter of fact. In the time i've own my 430, I have seen only 4 GS430. That's including mine and my partner. I had guy with a GS300 asked me where I get my GS430 emblems from? I was like "NAW, DAWG" this is the real thing no fake. Showed him the engine to prove it. So, are there alot of GS300 masquarading as GS430????

that's because the GS430 cost a third more, most people won't shell out the cash for the performance, everything else is just about the same. but imo, the GS430 hold a higher status, and to me, it feels different when you sit in a 430 vs. a 300 especially since it has the navi. the minor differences do stand out. i sat in an 05 GS300 and it was too plain for me, makes me enjoy my 430 when i sat back in my car. maybe i'm being bias..... well, that's just my .02. no disrespect to any 300 out there.
Old 11-15-04, 11:56 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely see modded GS's in NY if any.

There is a guy running around here with NY Wizard's kit, but the car is silver and ironically has the same ghetto half mirror half smoke tint

there are very few 400/430's around here tho...
Old 11-15-04, 01:37 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

You know, Mercedes & BMW are great at keeping customers excited about a product even when it's in the final years of production. Look at BMW for example, they are always coming out with new sport packages, new wheel designs, new features. Lexus doesn't do that. They basically introduce a product, and then leave it alone for 2-3 years, and then give it a slight facelift, add a few minor features, until the next redesign. ANd in between they come up with lame editions like "Coach" or "sport edition". They need to keep introducing new stuff to keep customers enthusiastic about the products.
I agree that that is a strong point as to why those cars dominate this catagory. As you stated, that's probably why the GS and IS sold well in their first years, and then went south.

I don't know what people look for in a car, but what I look for in a car, I can say that I don't think you can make an argument that those 2 cars are better cars than the GS, other than the variety that they offer (engine choices, wagons, sedans, M's, AMG's, etc) I actually liken it to between those 2, which is the ride quality of a Mercedes, power of a BMW.

But then again, the LS does well in a class with the same intense competition. Personally, I think it's because it was due for a major restyling by, say, 2002 already.
Old 11-15-04, 01:50 PM
Skinny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GSing430
they have to get them excited every year so that they don't lose the customer, Mercedes and BMW are forced to redesign their cars in a short life span to be in competition. look at the 2002 E class, it looks pretty out dated even when it's an 02, if you look at an 98 or 02 GS, it still feel like a newer car, despite it's minimal change or the rebadge of the 400 to the 430.
So, MErcedes & BMW are "forced" to redesign their cars in a short life span but Lexus isn't? Well, it's obvious nobody's forcing Lexus to redesign since they have kept the car nearly identical and sales figures fell off a cliff in model year 3.

One would think, when sales fall of a cliff for what should be a volume model, that they would continually update the product to keep sales high. So, it's quite obvious Mercedes & BMW are better at product updates and Lexus lags.

ANd I think you miss one big point, the BMW 5-series was just redesigned after 7 years. The last 5-series ran from 1997-2003, and it sold just about as strongly in year 7 as it did in year 1.
Old 11-15-04, 02:20 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5series was a marvelous machine out the box. I dont know about this new one though. I think the only reason it sells is b/c BMW has such a name for itself now. IMO the last 5series design is timeless and a great feel. but the new??? compared to its competitors I dont like it one bit. The headlights were catchy at first but got old real quick.
Old 11-15-04, 09:09 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GSing430
that's because the GS430 cost a third more, most people won't shell out the cash for the performance, everything else is just about the same. but imo, the GS430 hold a higher status, and to me, it feels different when you sit in a 430 vs. a 300 especially since it has the navi. the minor differences do stand out. i sat in an 05 GS300 and it was too plain for me, makes me enjoy my 430 when i sat back in my car. maybe i'm being bias..... well, that's just my .02. no disrespect to any 300 out there.
Nav is an option on both the 300 and 430, other than the drivetrain and e-shift on the 300, the cars are identical, what minor differences do you mean?
Old 11-15-04, 09:35 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Indio
Nav is an option on both the 300 and 430, other than the drivetrain and e-shift on the 300, the cars are identical, what minor differences do you mean?
Chrome shift bezel, Wood steering wheel w/ audio controls,wood ashtray,auto leveling HIDs,
MEAN SOUND AND 300 SMOOTH HP
Old 11-15-04, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by AutoCoutureSC
so true henry. go to Orange County and it seems like they have a money tree in their backyard!
yup, true that.... every time i am down there i go like "gosh, where do they get all the money from"
Old 11-15-04, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Let's face it...there aren't a ton of GS's sold to begin with so you're not going to see alot. It's a sales dud.

For the last 2 years, average monthly sales for the GS300/430 combined have been about 1,000 a month. Compare that with about 7,000 to 8,000 RX300/330's, 6,000/7,000 ES330s, and about 2,000 LS430s/month. And actually I think this year the SC430 is even outselling the GS300/430 combo.

It's strong years were basically 98 and 99, IN 1998 the GS line was selling about 3,500 a month and about 3,000 a month in 99. Whereas the E-class Benz sells about 5,000 to 6,000 units a month no matter what year of it's product cycle it's in and the BMW 5-series does about 3,000 in the later years of it's product cycle.
well, true, but imho, don't forget the fact that the GS is a car to stay, unless the car is totalled, very likely the car is still running very strong now. however, bimmer and mb, they sell a lot probably coz' they lemon a lot too? hahha... j/k

honestly, i never said that there are more GS (or lexus) for that matter than bimmer and mb. in fact i say i see a lot more mb and bimmer than lexus in socal for sure. that's a easy call. however, that doesn't mean i don't see a lot of GS. i don't even see the relationship between the two. it's just like you ask me do you see a lot of chinese restaurants around, and i tell you there are even more KFC around....
Old 11-15-04, 09:50 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure the main reason I see more LSes than GSes is that the average age in my town is deceased.(ok , so it's 89)
Old 11-15-04, 11:42 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by chuckb
Chrome shift bezel, Wood steering wheel w/ audio controls,wood ashtray,auto leveling HIDs,
MEAN SOUND AND 300 SMOOTH HP
Again, everything you named other than the V8 is available or standard on the 300 or 430, the differences stop at the firewall.
Old 11-15-04, 11:56 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn i dont know about you guys but man, i see a modded gs at least once a day and they are not the same cars... its ridiculous, because i thought my car was pretty unique but then again, i see so many modded gs's... get me thinking that i should try to get a used lotus or something.. its hard being unique here... i just saw a black gs with painted housing and i was thinking of doing it myself until i saw that... i am so amazed.. but after my japan trip, i dont think someone will have what im bringing back in spring break... muahahaha... its gonna be a crazy surprise..
Old 11-16-04, 12:35 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here on Guam there are a ton of GSes for the small population we have! I see one at almost every building in the metropolitan areas. There are at least 3-4 in every mall!
Old 11-16-04, 04:41 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Indio
Again, everything you named other than the V8 is available or standard on the 300 or 430, the differences stop at the firewall.
How about the wood ashtray and good luck finding a 300 w/ wood wheel/shifter and HIDs. Perforated leather and you can't get audio control on wheel either and don't forget 300 HP and GOBS OF TORQUE. The stuff in front of the firewall as you say is the most important part anyway. The V8 alone adds prestige.

Last edited by chuckb; 11-16-04 at 06:07 AM.

Quick Reply: I rarely see other GSes driving around