GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone do the big 3 on the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 05:47 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone do the big 3 on the GS?

I'm having trouble w/ 1 of the big three..... the alt to pos battery post. The line seems to go from the alternator into the fuse box and I dont see it going anywhere else.

who has done the big 3 on the GS and can halp me out. Should I just bypass the fuse box and go directly from the alternator to the Positive post on my battery?

also I'm currently running off my stock amp right now but will plan on upgrading it to 130amps. Should I put a fuse inline of that "alt-battery" line? if so how much should the fuse be? 120?
Old 11-14-04, 06:46 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

well I guess I'm going to just bypass the fuse box and go directly to the battery terminal and attach an external inline fuse to the battery side.

DIY to follow in a few days once I get all my parts.
Old 11-14-04, 07:56 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry bro but whats the BIG 3? Is that like a grounding kit?

Last edited by GammaLex; 11-14-04 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 08:59 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

If you have a audio system or are complaining about a crap alternator then this is definitely for you! plus its a fairly simple mod... actually its very simple. w/ only 3 key points you can really maximize the efficiency of your electrical system.

The BIG 3.... Highly recommended mod by ME!

I've been skeptical about the grounding systems such as the teckis and various ebay ones b/c of such small awg but I guess I'll give it a try since ppl have been claiming left and right about smoother shifting. who knows.... for what its worth atleast it'll look pretty!

PS I've heard of 12.9 volt jumped to 13.9 from just 1 of the big 3. I've seen some GS engine bay's here on CL w/ the Big 3 done or atleast 1-2 of them. So I know some of you know about it.

also I'm shopping for inline fuse holders from knukoncepts.... 100a fuse AGL fuse holder. $20 for the fuse holder and $6 for the fuse. Anybody know a place where I can get some cheaper?

Last edited by UptownGS; 11-14-04 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 11:37 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default circuit breaker = better than fuses.

Get circuit breakers. That way if you overload the system and it throws, you can just switch it back instead of replacing the fuse and you don't have to worry about finding new fuses or ensuring you have a few on hand JUST IN CASE.

Originally posted by UptownGS
If you have a audio system or are complaining about a crap alternator then this is definitely for you! plus its a fairly simple mod... actually its very simple. w/ only 3 key points you can really maximize the efficiency of your electrical system.

The BIG 3.... Highly recommended mod by ME!

I've been skeptical about the grounding systems such as the teckis and various ebay ones b/c of such small awg but I guess I'll give it a try since ppl have been claiming left and right about smoother shifting. who knows.... for what its worth atleast it'll look pretty!

PS I've heard of 12.9 volt jumped to 13.9 from just 1 of the big 3. I've seen some GS engine bay's here on CL w/ the Big 3 done or atleast 1-2 of them. So I know some of you know about it.

also I'm shopping for inline fuse holders from knukoncepts.... 100a fuse AGL fuse holder. $20 for the fuse holder and $6 for the fuse. Anybody know a place where I can get some cheaper?
Old 11-15-04, 03:15 AM
will33184
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont get circuit breakers.

99% of professionals dont use it, becasue when somthing CAN go wrong it WILL go wrong. and your GS and thousands of dollars of equipment are at risk.

im a big audio guy

did the whole install on my gs including full deadening of the 4 doors, back seat, whole trunk, rear deck

running big amps (depending on mood, i got alot of amps), alpine 9835, diamond hex up front with baffles, diamond m6 in back in baffles, large ported box w/2 RE 15" custom subs.

honestly if u have a gs400 all u need is a optima, i have ran ALOT of power and quite frankly the factory wiring is not very thin.

big 3 will help though. but in my opinion not that much for the gs.

maybe the gs300 would need it more though, i am not familiar with engine wiring for gs300.

if u need to know anything about gs audio hit me up. or audio in general just email me

wjcheng@ucla.edu

or soundomain page "gswill" still got lots of pics to load though, peace.
Old 11-15-04, 09:24 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the difference between using the two? If you get a circuit breaker that trips isn't it the same as a fuse that burns out due to an amp load being too high?

c.

Originally posted by will33184
dont get circuit breakers.

99% of professionals dont use it, becasue when somthing CAN go wrong it WILL go wrong. and your GS and thousands of dollars of equipment are at risk.

im a big audio guy

did the whole install on my gs including full deadening of the 4 doors, back seat, whole trunk, rear deck

running big amps (depending on mood, i got alot of amps), alpine 9835, diamond hex up front with baffles, diamond m6 in back in baffles, large ported box w/2 RE 15" custom subs.

honestly if u have a gs400 all u need is a optima, i have ran ALOT of power and quite frankly the factory wiring is not very thin.

big 3 will help though. but in my opinion not that much for the gs.

maybe the gs300 would need it more though, i am not familiar with engine wiring for gs300.

if u need to know anything about gs audio hit me up. or audio in general just email me

wjcheng@ucla.edu

or soundomain page "gswill" still got lots of pics to load though, peace.
Old 11-15-04, 09:38 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

well w/ the battery I dont want to use a CB b/c in all honesty I've seen a few CB's fail in my time in aviation... yea what a great place to see electronis fail! in a frickkin airplane! But I figure a CB has a possibility to fail or get stuck especially when you cannot protect under the hood from possible rust grime etc etc that might jam a breaker. So if it gets jammed and the battery overloads and explodes i'm pretty much SOL. Last thing I want is battery acid all up inside my hood w/ a big dented hood from the battery case.

Thanks will for the tips, I have the GS3 and the fact that I only get out 90a hot already makes me errky of the electrical system. Then I look at the wiring and they look entirely too small and flimsy. I'm not sure but I think they are 10-awg? Doing the big 3 certainly couldn't hurt it and if anything I'll have a beefier connection so I have nothing to lose especially w/ only $30 in parts.

hey buddy how much should sound deadening be for the whole car?