GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Driving in snow, is the RWD GS any good? or is AWD the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 08:03 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by rai
Hi, I'm new here (first post)

Here's my situation. My next car may be a GS. I like the V8 better (natch) and the extra $$ doesn't bother me. However AWD is only available with the V6

So if I got either car I'd buy a full set of snows + rims.

I work where I have to get in unless the roads are shut down.

I've driven in ice storms before.

Just wondering what you guys think? Will GS430 RWD + snow tires + stability control (etc,,) be good in inclement weather? Or is the GS300 awd V6 the only way to go?
The GS400 has a bad rep. It doesn't deserve. I put Blizzack WS50's on mine and my wifes GS400's last winter. In wet snow and sheet ice, up hill and down the Blizzacks griped great

Last edited by 3dog; 11-18-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-17-04, 08:16 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default GS400 goes great in snow

Originally posted by rai
Hi, I'm new here (first post)

Here's my situation. My next car may be a GS. I like the V8 better (natch) and the extra $$ doesn't bother me. However AWD is only available with the V6

So if I got either car I'd buy a full set of snows + rims.

I work where I have to get in unless the roads are shut down.

I've driven in ice storms before.

Just wondering what you guys think? Will GS430 RWD + snow tires + stability control (etc,,) be good in inclement weather? Or is the GS300 awd V6 the only way to go?

The GS400 handles great in the snow as long as you put high quality snow and ice tires on.

I've got Michelin Pilot SportAS as my normal everyday tires. They do not handle snow very well.

My wife and I both drive GS400's. During last winters snow and ice here in Seattle Washington, we used Blizzack WS50 snow and ice tires. They handled everything thrown at them. We live on a very steep hill which is possible to slide down. It is a good block long and gains about 100 feet elevation. More than once I went up it while families were tubing and sledding down it. We had sheet ice and then dry snow and then wet slush on top of it all. With proper tires this car goes in the snow very well. They have an amazing amount of grip even on the ice.

I actually enjoyed snow driving with this set up and went looking for places that would challege me to keep from getting stuck. Never had a problem.

One disclaimer on the Blizzack WS50's. I did not like them at all on dry roads. They tend to oversteer on corners. I took them off as soon as the snow was gone.

good luck

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 11-17-04 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 09:42 PM
psukhu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modern RWD cars have stability and traction control, so you should be fine as long as you have the right tires.

Of course an AWD will outperform a RWD in the snow, but that's given.

Funny story- In Dallas we only get 3 inches of ice/snow per year. However, it usually comes all in one day. The last time it snowed here I had I had the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions on my BMW. I reversed out of my garage to see what kind of snow traction these tires had. They had NONE. I was lucky to get the car back into the garage. And this was with traction control.

My RWD truck with all terrain tires (and no traction control) had no problems.
Old 11-18-04, 06:07 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. I won't put Blizzaks on b/c we are 90% snow free in the winter. So I just want something good in dry and good in snow.

I have a FWD Passat I put Michelin Pilot-alpine (high-performance snow tires). I just ordered a set of Dunlop Winter Sport tires for my Sienna.

I find the high-performance snow tires handle about the same as regular all season tires.

One reason I asked how good or bad the RWD will be is because my wife will drive it sometimes and she doesn't care about V8 power (at all) but she'll complain if the car wants to oversteer.

Last edited by rai; 11-18-04 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 07:14 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BA_GS400
I'm really not following you NT2SHBBY. I mean, yes, tread design is paramount, however, in a "head to head" test, FWD is almost always better for snow. More weight right over the wheels.
nope...a good driver will always opt for a RWD car...the weight is more evenly distributed and the car is much more predictable, especially in a spin out
Old 11-18-04, 09:52 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

nope.
Old 11-18-04, 10:44 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

I use pilot alpines in the winter with the stock 17's and I have never had a problem in the winter, they also handle very well in the dry. I think this year I am gonna try the P/A 2's but I will experiment with a different size 225/55/17, Im tring to keep the overall diameter of my 19's.
Old 11-18-04, 11:26 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default Winter Tires

Originally posted by rai
Thanks guys. I won't put Blizzaks on b/c we are 90% snow free in the winter. So I just want something good in dry and good in snow.

I have a FWD Passat I put Michelin Pilot-alpine (high-performance snow tires). I just ordered a set of Dunlop Winter Sport tires for my Sienna.

I find the high-performance snow tires handle about the same as regular all season tires.

One reason I asked how good or bad the RWD will be is because my wife will drive it sometimes and she doesn't care about V8 power (at all) but she'll complain if the car wants to oversteer.

The Blizzak WS50's provide the very best snow and ice traction.

It doesn't snow very much here in Seattle. In fact the storm we got last winter was the only one that really had much impact on the area in the last 8 years

We went 3 years without any snow whatsoever. So you can see I don't need snow tires most of the time.

I feel that I need the Blizzak WS50's to guarantee me and my wife the best chance of not having a bad encounter during adverse conditions. It is a little bit of extra work , but what I do is I have my snow tires already mounted on the 16" wheels so if snow is forecast I can switch them pretty quick. I much prefer my Michelin Pilot Sport AS 17" for either rain or dry roads.

I've heard good things about the Michelin Alpin snow tires as well as the Dunlop Wintersport M2 and M3. Blizzack also makes a winter performance tire the LM22.

Someone also made a good point of using the traction control . If you do that and get some good winter tires you will not and your wife will not have any problems . If you don't do these two things you can very quickly have the rear of the car swing around in front of you.

3dog