GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you consider your GS a big car

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 09:59 AM
Ditto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by UptownGS
I'm asian! I think its a HUGE car
Have you ever been in in those 1971 Chevy Malibu or Ford LTD?

Now these are big. The GS will look tiny compared to this,

Old 11-17-04, 10:34 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how's this for BIG (and it's a current model Toyota!........in Japan that is)
Attached Thumbnails Do you consider your GS a big car-century.jpg  
Old 11-17-04, 10:37 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
how's this for BIG (and it's a current model Toyota!........in Japan that is)
Wow... that's unbelievably ugly and about 15-20 years outdated looking, too. Did the hire the guy who designed late 1980s jaguars to design the sheetmetal on that car?
Old 11-17-04, 10:54 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the GS is not a small car. Parking it is not as easy as something smaller like a civic/integra/... It is relatively heavy. With that said, I like the size of the GS. It is big enough outside to not be lumped in with the smaller "younger" cars so it gives it a certain level of class. The cabin is cozier than the outside dimensions would dictate but still has space. And with adequate suspension support, the GS can feel more like a small car without being a small car.

About just right for me.
Old 11-17-04, 11:46 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For European standards my car is Huge.
It's pretty difficult to find a parking space for it.
Old 11-17-04, 12:36 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Smile Usta think it was big

I used to think the GS was a big boy... until the day i first put a babyseat in the back I bought my wife an 02 ES.. (the first year with the new body) and actually sold it to save some money when we had the baby.. put her in my GS4 thinking it was a promotion The car is much much faster, more "fly" etc.. (though that new black/black ES with Nav/ML is a RIDICULOUS value.. VERY nice, we loved it) it is DEFINATELY smaller on the interior than the ES. I am ~ 6'2" and things are beginning to seem pretty cramped in the GS...primarily when traveling as a family of 3. Still love it though... and will keep it forever..

my 2 cents..
Old 11-17-04, 12:46 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i dont think the GS is a big car.. compared to like a s class mercedes.. well i mean i am 6'6 220 lbs.. and i dont thin it is big but i dont consider it a small car either.. i guess since i drive my dads h2 aorund it doesnt seem big.... but definately bigger than my nissan pickup truck.. which is incrediably tight for me.
Old 11-17-04, 01:12 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Usta think it was big

Originally posted by GXLUV
I used to think the GS was a big boy... until the day i first put a babyseat in the back
The GS is definitely smaller inside than you'd think based on the outside.
Old 11-17-04, 09:03 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I would definately say the car is not a big car, by any means. Park it next to a small truck. no wider, and not as long. Also, check it out from a 3/4 view, you can tell, it's a mid-size, beefy car. Probably looks more beefy if you have rims and bodykit, but all and all, mid-sized car.

John
Old 11-17-04, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by AutoCoutureSC
Wow Henry! you better watch out when the Santa Ana winds get here!

back on topic, yes, the GS is huge compared to my car.
haha very true, she was scared when we went to the santa monica beach

anyway, the sc is not small at all man. i think the sc looks "lower", but the car is so long, it looks more like a boat to me than the gs
Old 11-17-04, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Neo
Well, the GS is not a small car. Parking it is not as easy as something smaller like a civic/integra/... It is relatively heavy. With that said, I like the size of the GS. It is big enough outside to not be lumped in with the smaller "younger" cars so it gives it a certain level of class. The cabin is cozier than the outside dimensions would dictate but still has space. And with adequate suspension support, the GS can feel more like a small car without being a small car.

About just right for me.
very true, the gs is a bit hard to park if you are not used to the size. by comparison my is3 is a breeze to park on the street, very small, very easy to turn. the gs4 though, although it's bigger, but it's still better than some of the previous cars i have driven in terms of turning and precision
Old 11-18-04, 07:29 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Being so used to my GS, which is just about the right size for me now. the IS, 3 series, A4 and even the new RL feels so small especially inside. it feels uncomfortable for me to sit in those 4dr cars. i kept hitting my head in the back seat of the RL.
Old 11-18-04, 07:45 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by GSing430
Being so used to my GS, which is just about the right size for me now. the IS, 3 series, A4 and even the new RL feels so small especially inside. it feels uncomfortable for me to sit in those 4dr cars. i kept hitting my head in the back seat of the RL.
That's very odd... two of my friends have 03+ Accords and the rear headroom in their cars is most definitely superior to the rear headroom in my GS. Heck... almost all of the dimensions on the interior of their cars feels bigger than mine... except maybe width (hip room, shoulder room). But their leg room and headroom definitely feels larger.

You would think that the RL would certainly not be any worse in terms of interior headroom being that it is at least a slightly larger car and a much more expensive one at that.
Old 11-18-04, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts
Default Interesting thread

The GS is a great car to haul up to 4 adults. The rear leg room is better than my old Acura Legend (4 door) yet the GS is a lot shorter. So proportionally, the GS is really sweet. That was one of the huge attractions for me. Short hood, short front overhang, the rear LOOKS short because the rear glass is a long slope.

But if you drive an IS and a GS back to back, the GS feels IMMENSE! The IS feels small, nimble, but still fairly comfortable, if rather narrow.

I've concluded the 2nd gen GS is a terrific balance in size and function, but it's bigger than I really want, and next time I will likely get a smaller car. That is unless I just conclude I'm 'done' with sporty cars and get an LS430 or something similar (also a possibility! ). I've been 'in between' for the 3 of my 4 vehicles and I'm ready to either go bigger or smaller for a change of pace. That's another reason the next GS is not for me, because it's slightly bigger in every dimension than the current one, but no doubt not as comfy as an LS430.
Old 11-18-04, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Default Re: Interesting thread

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The GS is a great car to haul up to 4 adults. The rear leg room is better than my old Acura Legend (4 door) yet the GS is a lot shorter. So proportionally, the GS is really sweet. That was one of the huge attractions for me. Short hood, short front overhang, the rear LOOKS short because the rear glass is a long slope.

But if you drive an IS and a GS back to back, the GS feels IMMENSE! The IS feels small, nimble, but still fairly comfortable, if rather narrow.

I've concluded the 2nd gen GS is a terrific balance in size and function, but it's bigger than I really want, and next time I will likely get a smaller car. That is unless I just conclude I'm 'done' with sporty cars and get an LS430 or something similar (also a possibility! ). I've been 'in between' for the 3 of my 4 vehicles and I'm ready to either go bigger or smaller for a change of pace. That's another reason the next GS is not for me, because it's slightly bigger in every dimension than the current one, but no doubt not as comfy as an LS430.
i can only compare the gs4 to my old tl-s. the tl-s rear space is definitely smaller than the gs4. the gs4 has a lot more headroom, and i think a tad more leg room. i have to say though, the tl-s seats probably feels a bit softer than that of the gs4

Quick Reply: Do you consider your GS a big car