GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Does GS Usually Have Heavy Steering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-01, 03:17 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do GS400s usually have a heavy steering feel? I have been driving my uncle's LS400 for a week now and when I went back to my GS the steering feels really stiff compared to the LS. Even compared to my old Maxima, my uncle's 01 Sienna, 01 Maxima, 99 Nissan Quest, my GS is very stiff. All those other cars have smooth, soft, steering and are very easily steerable.

Is this because of the GS4's hard grip of the road with its tires?

I am thinking about test driving a new GS430 sometime next week to make sure its with all GS4s but I want to know what you guys think about this hard steering.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-01, 03:41 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Nano, the short answer is no. GS steering a little slow for some tastes (that's where the L-Tuned steering ECU should help) but I don't think anyone would call it heavy. Plus effort doesn't build with cornering forces as would be desireable.

Part of the problem may be coming out of the LS into the GS. LS steering IS very light by comparison but, then again, it is THE luxocruiser for Lexus.
Old 05-02-01, 04:02 PM
chowder
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually agree wholeheartedly with nanotech. I noticed it when I test drove the GS before I bought it. But only after you get in and out of different cars enough do you realize how much heavier it is.
I drive a Celica quite often when I mountain bike and ski, etc. That car is the farthest from the GS compared to the other cars I use. Very short throw to steer and very little effort to steer.
I don't think we can blame it all on the big tires. I sometimes wish my 99 GS4's turning were more responsive at low speeds and less responsive at highway speeds. Maybe this steering ECU cleans this up a little.
Old 05-02-01, 06:40 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Don't confuse the wheel's resistance to turning with slow steering.

From what I've read the GS steering resistance was designed in to make it feel comparable to BMW (primarily the 540i sport) and MB. And to my feel it is. It also feels more like the sports cars I've owned than most sedans. I find most cars steering too light and power boosted and I prefer the feel of the GS -- and like the L-tuned ecu's feel even better.

I believe the heavy feel goes back to early sports cars' rack and pinion steering. It was quick and precise and heavier than most recirculating ball systems of the time.

As for the steering being fast or slow. My take is the steering is quite slow. It takes a lot of movement to get the front wheels to turn and a lot of turns lock to lock. I find that it (and the GS's tendency to understeer) makes quick moves between lanes on the highway more work than it should be. I'd like it to be more nimble.

The steering ecu makes the steering a bit heavier and quicker, but not as fast as some sports cars. When I had my 300ZX Turbo I would tell friends who wanted to get behind the wheel that you don't need to really turn it, you just have to think it and you'll move the wheel enough for the car to respond. You don't want minimal resistance in the steering wheel when small movements cause the car to move quickly.

Last edited by RealMarty; 05-02-01 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-02-01, 06:55 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

So the GS IS heavy and the l-tuned steering ecu WILL make it heavier.

Can someone explain about the L-Tuned Steering ECU in a little more detail. I have been interested in getting one as part of my complete handling package (with all the bars). But if its going to make the steering heavier than it already is, that is, its going to be even harder to steer, then I would have to re-think the whole thing.
Old 05-02-01, 06:56 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, my other uncle's S500 has light/easy steering too compared to my GS.
Old 05-02-01, 07:14 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dontthink the ECU makes it heavier more like stiffer and more precise from what I read the only time you will feel it bieng heavier is when you are trying to parelel park but I'm not sure since I dont have one....yet
Old 05-02-01, 07:52 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as the steering ECU is concerned, here is what I have heard. The ECU merely changes the amount of power assist. Since the steering is rack and pinion (sort of like gear teeth, which can't be changed electronically), there is no way to change the ratio without major alterations. The ECU decreases the power assist, resulting in a heavier feel to the steering wheel.
Old 05-02-01, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

My $0.02...

First, I think the GS steering is 'heavy' (with or without the L-Tuned ECU) - by heavy I mean the physical effort required to turn the wheel is higher than the previous cars I've owned.

As for the effect of the ECU - gs400jon, I don't think what you wrote is correct. The L-Tuned ECU doesn't change the 'effort' really, since that feel is mechanical I believe, but it DOES change the 'ratio' or rather how much wheel/tire turn you get based on steering wheel input. Before the ECU I couldn't drive 'one handed' on twisties because I needed so many rotations of the wheel, but with the L-Tuned ECU I can easily drive one-handed and 'whip' around curves - it's a blast. The L-Tuned ECU will be more useful with handling upgrades, but even with a stock setup, it's a no-brainer upgrade.

Old 05-02-01, 09:37 PM
chowder
Driver

that one-handed twisties comment might have just sold me on the ECU. bitkahuna, was that something you observed before and after on the same road?
i don't mind the heaviness/resistance part of the wheel but the hand over hand turning is a peeve.
where is the best place to get the unit? is this one of those steve@carson deals?
better to let the dealer install or try it myself (i saw the how-to here but what's more reliable)?
thanks.
Old 05-03-01, 12:59 AM
UK_GS300
Driver School Candidate

I was considering the L-tuned ECU but I though it may not make any difference to a UK car. I was right, if the L-Tuned ECU is just a Euro ECU.

I feel the steering is a little too light with the Euro ECU but I am getting used to it now. It is lighter than a Euro BMW.

US vehicles always have extremely light steering and very soft suspension compared to Euro/Japanese market cars.

Old 05-03-01, 09:28 AM
gs4power
Driver

Smile

Hi Bitkahuna,

I believe the ECU can’t change the steering ratio. The ratio depends on the teeth design of the rack and pinion, thus it is a fixed parameter and cannot be changed by computer intervention. On the contrary, the ECU can change the steering effort. Many cars including the GS have speed sensitive power steering, this is accomplished by varying the power steering pump’s assist level in accordance with the output of the speed sensors. The assist can be changed by opening or closing a valve at the power steering pump discharge, regulated by the steering ECU. The L-tuned ECU simply lowers the assist level/input speed ratio.
Old 05-03-01, 09:49 AM
sTWO
Rookie

Default L-tuned ECU

I'm not sure what the ECU is, but I like what I'm hearing about the end result: being able to one-hand turns and rotate the wheel less for everyday driving.

How can I go about getting this upgrade? and how much will it cost? any help is appreciated - thanks,

Old 05-03-01, 10:05 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are talking anout the steering ECU-a chip that control the firmness of the steering wheeel. the factory one is a tad too loose for some car dudes like us. so last year L-tune came out with one thta you can order from steve@carson toyota for ~$125.

the unit is located below steering wheel column, and you can replace it yourself in~30-45 minutes. 99% of users think it is worth the money. gs is a very powerful machine, and the factory ecu makes steering feel too light and is kind of dangerous, imo.
Old 05-03-01, 10:07 AM
gs4power
Driver

sTWO,

I believe the ECU won't allow you to rotate the wheel less, the turns lock-to-lock (3.4) and the ratio are fixed mechanical specs.

For the ECU, contact Steve Ganz at gonzo4u@earthlink.net. He's the coolest and can give you a great deal!

Quick Reply: Does GS Usually Have Heavy Steering?