GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need your help.....99 GS4 or 05 Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 01:22 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 49IS300
LOL....you guys are great. Thank you so much for the encouraging responses.

However (breaking news).....

I have a little dilema. The person selling the 99 GS4 does not have the car registered or the title in his name. Supposedly, his folks just bought the car a month or two ago and just have not done the paper work. He's selling the car now cause his folks want to put payment on a second house.

Also, since he has not registered it or anything he has not paid the taxes on the purchase. He has the title in hand but does not want to pay the taxes either. So he says he has an uncle who owns a dealership who is willing to take ownership of the car so he can avoid paying the tax and I just buy it off the dealership for the same price.

Does this seem like a shady deal. I was all go until I heard this news. I never dealt with a purchase like this so Im pretty weary on whats going on. Any one with some insight. Thanks.
If you don't feel comfortable with the purchase, shop someplace else.
I'm sure there are plenty of good deals on GSs.

Good luck

Last edited by TRD-bB; 11-18-04 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 01:30 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by LexusPride
[B

btw chuckb, 35k miles on a 4/ almost 5 year old car seems a little implausible. I mean, that's about 8-9k miles a year [/B]
my 2001 has 23,900 miles.

local dealer here just sold this plat 2000 gs400 with 34k miles. they were asking $25900
( I drove it, I was considering it for my wife)

I'd take this over a new Accord in a heartbeat!
Attached Thumbnails Need your help.....99 GS4 or 05 Accord V6-reduced-plat2.jpg  

Last edited by chuckb; 11-18-04 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 01:34 PM
LexFather

LOL....you guys are great. Thank you so much for the encouraging responses.

However (breaking news).....

I have a little dilema. The person selling the 99 GS4 does not have the car registered or the title in his name. Supposedly, his folks just bought the car a month or two ago and just have not done the paper work. He's selling the car now cause his folks want to put payment on a second house.

Also, since he has not registered it or anything he has not paid the taxes on the purchase. He has the title in hand but does not want to pay the taxes either. So he says he has an uncle who owns a dealership who is willing to take ownership of the car so he can avoid paying the tax and I just buy it off the dealership for the same price.

Does this seem like a shady deal. I was all go until I heard this news. I never dealt with a purchase like this so Im pretty weary on whats going on. Any one with some insight. Thanks.
That is nuts. You can't buy a car not registered with a title.
Old 11-18-04, 01:41 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

thats what I was thinking. I just posted on .NET and got a hold of darth who mentioned that this was title jumping and was very illegal. I guess there goes this deal.

Which is all good to me. Better safe than sorry. I feel relieved that I came here first before closing the deal.
Old 11-18-04, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally i would take the gs4 any day man. it's totally different class, and it's such a beast. plus, 5 to 6 yrs on lexus, that's nothing honestly
Old 11-18-04, 01:49 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what I was thinking. I just posted on .NET and got a hold of darth who mentioned that this was title jumping and was very illegal. I guess there goes this deal.

Which is all good to me. Better safe than sorry. I feel relieved that I came here first before closing the deal.
yea plus you dont want to jump on the gold class......

come to the DarkSide.... Black OwnZ joooz!!!
Old 11-18-04, 02:02 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by UptownGS
yea plus you dont want to jump on the gold class......

come to the DarkSide.... Black OwnZ joooz!!!
My old IS was black. Personally its the best color IMO, that and blue. But it was just a ***** to maintain. I ever go to the dark side again it would probably be blue or charcoal gray.

*NOTE*
If any one knows of any sweet deals. Shoot them my way.
Old 11-18-04, 02:06 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

*NOTE*
If any one knows of any sweet deals. Shoot them my way.
www.autotrader.com

Last edited by chuckb; 11-18-04 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 02:31 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

go with the accord. it looks upto date and you wont have to worry about maintance for a few years,, where as the lex u might get in to some trouble after a few months.that trouble could cost you $$$$.. nothing beats driving in a brand new car,, plus the new gs will be out soon and then your gs will even seem more out dated..
Old 11-18-04, 02:38 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

sorry but your camparing a lambo to a pinto in my opinion
Old 11-18-04, 02:48 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

that deal sounds shady as all hell. Look someplace else. If you want to drive something more unique, go with the Lex. Having a new car doesn;t impress me one bit personally. I think it's more of a psychological thing with some people. I'd rather have something more powerful, classy, and unique. But hey, that's just me.

For an intersting twist, go on a honda forum and ask the same question if you haven't already. Should be interesting. Good luck.
Old 11-18-04, 03:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by HKS_GS430
go with the accord. it looks upto date and you wont have to worry about maintance for a few years,, where as the lex u might get in to some trouble after a few months.that trouble could cost you $$$$.. nothing beats driving in a brand new car,, plus the new gs will be out soon and then your gs will even seem more out dated..
A brand new accord is still just an accord. a new accord still rides worse than any healthy GS.
I know, I have two 04 accords in my family(father inlaw and bro inlaw). Even my 1995 es300 with 80K rides/drives and looks better than an accord
Old 11-18-04, 04:25 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default which

In my opinion you should go to the local lexus dealer. You should be able to find a similar deal and with a warranty. I was used to new cars too. I was considering a new Prelude when I got the sc. Everytime I see a Prelude I think how I almost made a mistake. Let's see...Lexus or Prelude....not even close...can't even say it with a straight face. Prelude is a nice car and all but let's say it together.....Prelude or Lexus. No way. Lexus all the way.
Old 11-18-04, 05:31 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the hybrid accords are pretty hardcore, but i'd go with the GS4
Old 11-18-04, 06:05 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd pass on this particular GS400, but, in general, I'd go with a used Gs400/430 over a new Accord any day. As for maintenance, just so you're aware, there is a pretty hefty service at 60,000 miles (costs around $600). Just something to think about.

e-man

Quick Reply: Need your help.....99 GS4 or 05 Accord V6