GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need your help.....99 GS4 or 05 Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 09:59 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help.....99 GS4 or 05 Accord V6

Hey all. I've been trolling the boards as of late learning as much as I can about the GS400. I previously owned an IS300 so I am familiar with Lexus quality.

But now its time for me to make my decision as I have deals pending on both cars. I cant decide on whether I should go with a 99 GS4 or 05 Accord V6.

The 99 GS4 is Gold w/ Tan leather. Has 52K miles. All options except NAV. Pretty clean inside and out. Going for $21,900.

The 05 Accord V6 is obviously brand new.

I have test driven both and both are excellent cars. Will I have to worry about any maintenence issues with the GS4 since it is 5 years old with 50K? Or would you rather have a brand new car. Obviously you can see my range in what I can afford about $20K -$23K.

I know this is a Lexus board but I'd rather post here than on the Honda boards since I feel I'll get a more mature response here. (I'm really impressed with how everyone treats each other here. Just like family.) I'm just looking at opinions on what others may do. So try to be as unbias as possible. Thanks.

Last edited by 49IS300; 11-18-04 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 10:27 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard decision.. 2 totally different breeds w/ different pro's working for it. It's just a personal decision for you right now.... what is your taste.

if it were me I'd probably pick the GS4 b/c I know it'll last a long time, there's a whole lot of power in there, it looks hot, the resale value is probably going to be along the same lines as the Accord, and the accord is ugly. But then again, I dont mind used cars.... thats just my personal quirk.
Old 11-18-04, 10:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Without any question I would take my 6 year old GS for a brand new Accord any day.

50K in miles on a GS is nothing. The GS4 engine is just breaking in at 100K.

It beats the Accord in every single respect - Looks, power, reliability, pleasure to own - the list goes on and on...........
Old 11-18-04, 10:53 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Hameed
Without any question I would take my 6 year old GS for a brand new Accord any day.

It beats the Accord in every single respect - Looks, power, reliability, pleasure to own - the list goes on and on...........
Everything he just said! Simply no comparison, welcome to the GS club
Old 11-18-04, 10:59 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed

yes sir....right on, its just a bigger acr aswell with more room for backseat people and more leg room up front....

Last edited by bluelex; 11-18-04 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 11:11 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

GS anyday!
Old 11-18-04, 11:27 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the GS has more curb appeal by far, it also has more power and is more luxurious. 52K is nothing in terms of mileage. The lexus satisfaction also is at least as good if not better than honda.
Old 11-18-04, 11:48 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't go wrong with either choice. You'll just have to look deeper into your own preferences, though. To me the biggest factor is that the Honda will have a 3 yrs/36K miles warranty, and when the warranty runs out, I predict that it'll be cheaper to maintain. (And I understand that they're both very reliable cars).

My colleages above are right in that these are two completely different cars. I went from a Civic to a GS430, and I miss the "tossability" and economy of the Civic. But I adore the power and all the amenities of the GS. Again, count yourself smart and lucky for considering such solid cars. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 11-18-04, 11:58 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

IMHO, the only thing going for the Accord is that its a brand new car.
But as other have said, 50K on a GS is nothing.

V8 vs V6...................GS wins
RWD vs FWD..........GS wins
Service Dept............GS wins
Lexus vs Honda......see a trend? GS wins again
Old 11-18-04, 12:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally posted by TRD-bB
IMHO, the only thing going for the Accord is that its a brand new car.
But as other have said, 50K on a GS is nothing.

V8 vs V6...................GS wins
RWD vs FWD..........GS wins
Service Dept............GS wins
Lexus vs Honda......see a trend? GS wins again
First, sit in a Lexus then the Accord. I'm sure you will feeeeeel a BIG difference!
Now when you're driving on the road, look around and see what's on the road:

Majority (I say 80%) of the cars: Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, Chevys. When I'm sitting in traffic, I feel very fortunate in my car. A Lexus makes me feel of an accomplishment while an Accord is just an everyday car, no matter how new or how much option it has.
There's a snob factor here b/c when you pull up in a Lexus vs an Accord, I'm sure you'll have more attention than the Accord.

Just my opinion. BTW, I have 110k on my GS3 and still smooth as ever...not lying
So now imagine the 400, lots of power!!!
Old 11-18-04, 12:25 PM
LexFather

AS soon as you drive off in the 05 Accord, it will be worth the 21K the GS is sellinig for.
These cars are total opposites. Accord is built for mostly effiency, reliablity and beating the Camry.
The GS was built for beating and competing with the 5 and E class.
As Hameed stated, 52k on a GS is nothing. Driving these 2 cars is a total different experience as well.

Now don't get us wrong. The Accord is a very fine car and possibly has the best interior for a family car (i.e Altima, Camry, Impala etc).

But we are comparing one of the most acclaimed japanese sports luxury sedans ever with an appliance.
Old 11-18-04, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Oh and welcome to Clublexus. Don't forget to put insurance diff and maintance differences into account.
Old 11-18-04, 12:26 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the price of a new v6 accord you should be able to find a 2000GS4 in the 35k mile range.

My bro has an 04 accord V6 and it feels cheap, light and cheesy to drive. front wheel drive also sucks.fake wood ugly too.

get a Lex for sure(what else did you expect to hear here)

Old 11-18-04, 12:46 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

LOL....you guys are great. Thank you so much for the encouraging responses.

However (breaking news).....

I have a little dilema. The person selling the 99 GS4 does not have the car registered or the title in his name. Supposedly, his folks just bought the car a month or two ago and just have not done the paper work. He's selling the car now cause his folks want to put payment on a second house.

Also, since he has not registered it or anything he has not paid the taxes on the purchase. He has the title in hand but does not want to pay the taxes either. So he says he has an uncle who owns a dealership who is willing to take ownership of the car so he can avoid paying the tax and I just buy it off the dealership for the same price.

Does this seem like a shady deal. I was all go until I heard this news. I never dealt with a purchase like this so Im pretty weary on whats going on. Any one with some insight. Thanks.
Old 11-18-04, 01:13 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

why aren't the parents selling you the car or even going to the uncle, why is a 4th person involved? And I'm not sure how a dealership works, but I don't know how you can avoid paying taxes, isn't this a registry issue? Buyer beware!

btw chuckb, 35k miles on a 4/ almost 5 year old car seems a little implausible. I mean, that's about 8-9k miles a year

Last edited by LexusPride; 11-18-04 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Need your help.....99 GS4 or 05 Accord V6