GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my 2002 Gs 300 ...looking for several things:

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 04:17 PM
FRENCHIE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2002 Gs 300 ...looking for several things:

1. Body kit, classy style more along the less expensive range....any suggestions or links would be appreciated.
2 complete cat back exhaust sytem, and how much power does it really add to the car for approx ??$$$

3. complete intake, is injen really about the only good one?? and how much hp can i expect to gain from this upgrade....legit horsepower that is!!?? not estimated upto 10 or 12 hp!!
4. Lastly hid lights, average brightness, but i really like the blue color! how much with kit and bulbs?? and any website info would be great..

thanx ...Frenchie
Old 11-19-04, 06:09 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

a borla Exhaust system from the cat back will only add marginal gains, but it will sound AWESOME. we are tlaking 1-2 WHP MAX.

a bodykit as you know, doesnt add any HP, but

www.andysautosport.com

see what they have, also

www.erebunicorp.com

those are the only ones i really know of.

a complete intake will award you with about 3 WHP. whoo-hoo dont run through any deep puddles or you risk sucking water through it.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-19-04 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 06:20 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ArmyofOne
a bodykit as you know, doesnt add any HP, but check these guys out:

www.andysautosport.com

see what they have, also

www.erebunicorp.com

those are the only ones i really know of.
I would rather be stock than put on a bodykit from either of these companies. You will spend thousands just to make them fit right. Trust me, I've bought from either companies for my other cars before. And I WAS NOT happy.
Old 11-19-04, 06:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

as have i, but i didnt say i reccomended them, i just said they were the only 2 i knwo of...there have to be mor out there.

and erebuni kits actually arent that bad. but andy's auto sport..well...you shoudl read here:

Kaotic Innovations/Extreme Dimensions/Andy's Auto Sport Ford Contour GB, gone way wrong!!!

and sorry for the confusion, i re-read the previous post, and it did sound liek i was reccomending them, and I AM NOT, im simply saying they are there, i edited the post.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-19-04 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 06:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Default Re: my 2002 Gs 300 ...looking for several things:

Originally posted by FRENCHIE
1. Body kit, classy style more along the less expensive range....any suggestions or links would be appreciated.
2 complete cat back exhaust sytem, and how much power does it really add to the car for approx ??$$$

3. complete intake, is injen really about the only good one?? and how much hp can i expect to gain from this upgrade....legit horsepower that is!!?? not estimated upto 10 or 12 hp!!
4. Lastly hid lights, average brightness, but i really like the blue color! how much with kit and bulbs?? and any website info would be great..

thanx ...Frenchie
#1, check out our CL gallery of bodykits - bodykit library here. Our CL vendors can get most all of these.
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...puser=&stype=0

#2, 1 -2 WHP max on a GS400 as dynoed by our members before/after. Not a big difference in power, but sound is much better and looks much improved. Look for the Norcal guy's exhaust competition (use search for exhaust competition link)

#3, SRT IMO is the best intake primarily because it has an ECU with it to control air/fuel. My second choice would be K&N and add an SAFC. SRT claims some major hp (25 - 30) increases but it really varies... some get 5 some get 25 hp.

#4... not sure if I understand, does your GS already have HID and you want new bulbs with a blue-er color range OR do you not have HIDs and want to add a kit. One of our sponsors specializes in HIDs - I know they sell kits, not sure about te bulbs. click here
Old 11-19-04, 10:04 PM
FRENCHIE
Driver

Default Re: Re: my 2002 Gs 300 ...looking for several things:

Originally posted by DaveGS4
#1, check out our CL gallery of bodykits - bodykit library here. Our CL vendors can get most all of these.
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...puser=&stype=0

#2, 1 -2 WHP max on a GS400 as dynoed by our members before/after. Not a big difference in power, but sound is much better and looks much improved. Look for the Norcal guy's exhaust competition (use search for exhaust competition link)

#3, SRT IMO is the best intake primarily because it has an ECU with it to control air/fuel. My second choice would be K&N and add an SAFC. SRT claims some major hp (25 - 30) increases but it really varies... some get 5 some get 25 hp.

#4... not sure if I understand, does your GS already have HID and you want new bulbs with a blue-er color range OR do you not have HIDs and want to add a kit. One of our sponsors specializes in HIDs - I know they sell kits, not sure about te bulbs. click here
thanx for the info...yes i need the kit and bulbs!!!! i do not currently have hid's!!!
Old 11-19-04, 10:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: my 2002 Gs 300 ...looking for several things:

thanx for the info...yes i need the kit and bulbs!!!! i do not currently have hid's!!!
OK, then.... Special deal going on here for CL members with XenonDepot https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=139174

For other stuff you asked for, check with Steve Ganz / Carson Toyota / www.l-tunedparts.com if you don't see it on the website and it's something you want for your GS, contact them to ask to see if they have it or can get it. Great service to our members.
Old 11-19-04, 11:13 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I have a kit genuine jdm Auto Couture body kit that fits awesome. you won't have any fitment problems. like everyone said, dont' go with those cheapy knock off kits, they just wont' fit right. sorry for the plug, but i need to sell this for school.

check the link for details. simple yet classy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=138090
Old 11-20-04, 12:42 AM
retrodivot
Driver School Candidate

Post HID's

I am also looking for HID's for my 02 gs 300... I've looked into this a bit and from what I understand, your best bet would be a oem HID headlight assembly (this includes the bulb ,"leveller", housing, and ballast)... if your car is like mine that came without HID's you most likely not be able hook up the "leveller"... I mean you technically could, but from what I hear this is somewhere you REALLY don't want to go... anyways, the headlights will need to be hand levelled, which is a pain, but it is what it is... These will run you anywhere from $650 (there was one on CL forums that just went for this price) to around $1G (on eBay)...

Option number two is the aftermarket HID kits that come with the bulb and ballast. The higher the number (ie. 4500k, 6000k, 10000k, etc.) the more blue the light will appear... Additionally, as the light gets more blue, the more expensive the kits... From what I gather from talking to other CL members though, is that the light is less focused and more dispersed than that of the oem HID headlights... I guess you could help "focus" it more or less with eyelids... I've seen these kits in Car Toys up here in Portland, Orygun for around $500 installed... BUT, as stated above there's a better deal through CL or ebay.... From what I've heard they aren't too difficult to install also...

anyways, hope this helps...

Last edited by retrodivot; 11-20-04 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 10:13 AM
FRENCHIE
Driver

Default Re: HID's

Originally posted by retrodivot
I am also looking for HID's for my 02 gs 300... I've looked into this a bit and from what I understand, your best bet would be a oem HID headlight assembly (this includes the bulb ,"leveller", housing, and ballast)... if your car is like mine that came without HID's you most likely not be able hook up the "leveller"... I mean you technically could, but from what I hear this is somewhere you REALLY don't want to go... anyways, the headlights will need to be hand levelled, which is a pain, but it is what it is... These will run you anywhere from $650 (there was one on CL forums that just went for this price) to around $1G (on eBay)...

Option number two is the aftermarket HID kits that come with the bulb and ballast. The higher the number (ie. 4500k, 6000k, 10000k, etc.) the more blue the light will appear... Additionally, as the light gets more blue, the more expensive the kits... From what I gather from talking to other CL members though, is that the light is less focused and more dispersed than that of the oem HID headlights... I guess you could help "focus" it more or less with eyelids... I've seen these kits in Car Toys up here in Portland, Orygun for around $500 installed... BUT, as stated above there's a better deal through CL or ebay.... From what I've heard they aren't too difficult to install also...

anyways, hope this helps...

thanx for the 411! im prob gonna go with the phillips 4300, not the aftermarket!!!
Old 11-21-04, 10:23 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: HID's

thanx for the 411! im prob gonna go with the phillips 4300, not the aftermarket!!!
Phillips 4300 is just the bulb.

OEM (reasonable) retrofit for the GS is HID housing, ballast, and bulb.

Aftermarket retrofit is keeping halogen housings and adding 9006 rebased HID bulb and ballast.

Both these retrofits can include the Phillips 4300 bulb.

And then there is the projector retrofit, but that is MUCH more involved.
Old 11-21-04, 11:37 AM
FRENCHIE
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: HID's

Originally posted by Neo
Phillips 4300 is just the bulb.

OEM (reasonable) retrofit for the GS is HID housing, ballast, and bulb.

Aftermarket retrofit is keeping halogen housings and adding 9006 rebased HID bulb and ballast.

Both these retrofits can include the Phillips 4300 bulb.

And then there is the projector retrofit, but that is MUCH more involved.
and the pros and cons for each??? and best price youve seen on each!!?? thanx neo
Old 11-21-04, 02:02 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: HID's

and the pros and cons for each??? and best price youve seen on each!!?? thanx neo
1. OEM retrofit
Pros - good light cut off since it is HID reflector
Cons - more $, installation slightly more difficult
DIY - medium - need to remove bumper to swap housings. Need to cut/splice/solder a few wires.
Cost - New $900 - $1500, Used $400 - $700. This would include HID housings, ballasts, an bulbs (and maybe the levelling computer but that is not hooked up due to dificulty.

2. Aftermarket retrofit
Pros - easy install, less $
Cons - light output not as sharp, can cause glare to on-coming drivers
DIY - easy, especially the kits with the PnP connectors
Cost - New $350 - $500, Used $275 - $350. This includes bulbs, ballasts, and wiring.

3. Projector Retrofit
Pros - awsome light output, some color (if you like this)
Cons - cost and/or DIY difficulty
DIY - unless you like to open up the housings and custom fit the parts or are adventurous, it is best left to someone with more experience
Cost - (All used) Projectors - $150 - $700 (depending on the projector type), Bulbs - $50 - $100, Ballasts - $100 - $250. You will also need used housings unless you are planning to cut up the ones on the car. An then there is the custom work. You can also get someone to do it for you. Cost is usually $800 - $1500, depending on the options/components.

The cost I listed are just typical ones. If you have hookups, it will be on the low end (or even slightly less). If you don't hook ups, how low the price is will depend on your luck, diligence, and patience as this involves junk yards, eBay, or HID parts sellers availability
Old 11-21-04, 03:06 PM
FRENCHIE
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID's

Originally posted by Neo
1. OEM retrofit
Pros - good light cut off since it is HID reflector
Cons - more $, installation slightly more difficult
DIY - medium - need to remove bumper to swap housings. Need to cut/splice/solder a few wires.
Cost - New $900 - $1500, Used $400 - $700. This would include HID housings, ballasts, an bulbs (and maybe the levelling computer but that is not hooked up due to dificulty.

2. Aftermarket retrofit
Pros - easy install, less $
Cons - light output not as sharp, can cause glare to on-coming drivers
DIY - easy, especially the kits with the PnP connectors
Cost - New $350 - $500, Used $275 - $350. This includes bulbs, ballasts, and wiring.

3. Projector Retrofit
Pros - awsome light output, some color (if you like this)
Cons - cost and/or DIY difficulty
DIY - unless you like to open up the housings and custom fit the parts or are adventurous, it is best left to someone with more experience
Cost - (All used) Projectors - $150 - $700 (depending on the projector type), Bulbs - $50 - $100, Ballasts - $100 - $250. You will also need used housings unless you are planning to cut up the ones on the car. An then there is the custom work. You can also get someone to do it for you. Cost is usually $800 - $1500, depending on the options/components.

The cost I listed are just typical ones. If you have hookups, it will be on the low end (or even slightly less). If you don't hook ups, how low the price is will depend on your luck, diligence, and patience as this involves junk yards, eBay, or HID parts sellers availability
thanx neo, def good low down...ill be doing something as soon as i decide now with xenon depot!!!...
Old 11-21-04, 03:14 PM
FRENCHIE
Driver

hey neo one mo thing!! if i go with xenon depots...extreme hid conversion kit for $299, i need the 9006 correct and do i go with the 6500 or the 8000k!! i heard the 8000 really is no better in color...although im looking for some blue...not completely white!!

Quick Reply: my 2002 Gs 300 ...looking for several things: