GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

White wheels on white GS400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-01, 08:13 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Has anyone put white wheels on their GS? I have a 99 white with the original 16" alloys. I want to move up to 18" wheels and I just thought white wheels might look cool on a white GS. OZ Wheels has a wheel called F1 Cup Corsa with red lettering. Opinions? Advice? Other white wheel manufacturers?
Attached Thumbnails White wheels on white GS400?-oz-wheels.jpg  
Old 05-03-01, 08:31 PM
gs4power
Driver

Cool

Hi Bobcat,

I think those wheels would look GREAT on your white GS. IMO, that extra bit of imagination of yours will pay off! The OZs have an all-business look, I personally prefer that look over flashy multi-piece or chromed wheels.

The Volk Racing TE37 is another wheel available in white (standard color), check this one out. Lightest and strongest aluminum wheel on the market.

Last edited by gs4power; 05-03-01 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-03-01, 11:55 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobcat: The only disadvantage I can see (if you consider it a disadvantage) is that it looks too race-boy like. Don't get me wrong, I think white rims look good on cars, but I think that look is more a race look and let's face it, the GS is not a really good race car. A Porsche 911 GT2 is a good race car.

I would do white rims on a JDM Civic Type-R, but not on a Lexus (of any type) or even a Porsche for that matter...

The GS is more of a luxury car and I think white rims won't do it justice. IMO, a clean one piece silver rim would look good...and a brushed silver/polished lip multi-piece rim would be even better...

But if you REALLY want white rims, practially any rim can be powder coated white for like $60-$80 a pop.
Old 05-04-01, 10:46 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Actually I would prefer the race-boy look

In Japan the GS is often used as a race car and trust me it's one of the better 4-door racers out there (Besides Evo, WRX, Altezza). I've seen Aristos with Advan RG, TE37, SE37s, SSR wheels, and other racing wheels. They're not bad actually.

I would rather have racing wheels than chrome dubs, but then maybe that's because I can't afford Dubs
Old 05-04-01, 10:54 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Yup, I agree with GlobeCLK

I like the Racer look too. Hence my choice of rims for the GS4...

PS How do you like your handi-work, GlobeCLK? Thanks.
Old 05-04-01, 10:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that those wheels look nice, but like I said, the GS is far from a race car. It's WAY too heavy and bulky...a Evo, WRX, Altezza, etc., etc. is a much better choice and I would do the white race rims on a Evo or WRX and the Altezza if I had a fully done up one (with the HKS 1 piece Carbon Fiber Body Kit... )

As always, it's all personal preference. I feel that there is nothing wrong with the race-boy looks (so long as your car and your driving skills can back that **** up) but on a GS, I think it's out of place...

I wouldn't do Chrome Dubs either (Dubs yes, but no chrome)...and there are MANY alternatives...take a look at al2jzge GS...clean 19's...

Last edited by Manaray; 05-04-01 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-04-01, 11:09 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Friendly discussion...

First of all Manaray, this is intended to be a friendly discussion so I respect your opinion. I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Although I agree the Alstadt's are very clean, you are implying that the Lexus is more towards the class/luxury mode. For me, that implies cruising the streets picking up chicks in a night club, etc, etc. Now, although granted you can do the same with Racer wheels, I envision the GS more of a car darting in and out of the freeways. I used to own a Z - before that a Mustang GT - and before that an Integra....However, now I have a 5 series also so my background is of the sport sedan variety. I purchased the Lexus - not for luxury - but for the performance equal to the BMW 5 series. The luxury is only a by-product for me. That's why my preference is for the sportier rims. Chrome or polish anything is very nice as well but not my preference which is more to the Sportier Japanese tuner wheels. Sorry, I just found this discussion interesting AND it's Friday...To each his own.

Brent
Old 05-04-01, 01:02 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Originally posted by manaray
But if you REALLY want white rims, practially any rim can be powder coated white for like $60-$80 a pop.
Actually, it costs a lot more. My son has recently decided to have his rims powder-coated white, and he was quoted $120 a wheel, which includes the acid-bath which is needed to remove the existing clearcoat, and he would be without them for 2 weeks!

BLiu (Brent???),

Those rims look so good on your car!!! I have to add my .02 and say that I like the look of a wheel that is "color-coordinated" with ONLY a black, or white car. Any other color would look stupid.
We have a monkey driving around here with a gold BMW 5-series, with gold rims, and it looks really cheap!!!

Bobcat:

Those Oz F1 Cup Corsa's are cool - I've even considered them myself. I'd say go for it......

C.

Old 05-04-01, 01:26 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Bobcat,

I generally don't get into the rims discussions because for the most part they're not my thing. I'm perfectly happy with my stock 17s. I could make a case that any after market rim looks race boy. I could also make a case that they look classy. There is no absolute. These are all opinions.

But, on the few occasions a rim catches my eye on the street, it's very often a white car with white rims...and these Corsas are hot looking rims.

I think they'll look great. Go for it!
Old 05-04-01, 01:43 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusLady

BLiu (Brent???),

Those rims look so good on your car!!! I have to add my .02 and say that I like the look of a wheel that is "color-coordinated" with ONLY a black, or white car. Any other color would look stupid.
We have a monkey driving around here with a gold BMW 5-series, with gold rims, and it looks really cheap!!!

C.

Thank you for the compliment, Lexus Lady...
Old 05-04-01, 02:52 PM
gs4power
Driver

Exclamation

Bobcat,

Those rims are very nice, I have to agree with you RealMarty and Charonne!

One word of advice: If you decide to get them, ask OZ if they can supply you an extra set of the red stickers on the lip. You may find yourself in a repair/paint/retouch situation and the extra stickers would come real handy.

I am myself struggling real hard trying to find the blue stickers on my Volk TE37s. David are you listening?
Old 05-04-01, 03:11 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Cool

... thanks for all the advice and opinions!

I'm still thinking about 'em. I'm definitely not a race-boy, but I just think I'd like the look. I have had a few people tell me my car looks like a drug dealers car. It has some pretty fat exhaust tips (Rod Millen) but it doesn't have tint. The thing is, I don't want the car to be TOO flashy. Some of the shiny chrome (?) rims are just too much flash. I have to admit though, that if I had a lot of money I would give the Lowenhart LD1's a serious look. I think they come in silver or chrome. I assume both are very shiny, though... probably too flashy.

Attached Thumbnails White wheels on white GS400?-lowenhart_ld1_wheel_2.jpg  
Old 05-04-01, 03:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

here
Attached Thumbnails White wheels on white GS400?-oz-white-gs.jpg  
Old 05-04-01, 06:12 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Flash and Friends...

I'm not big on flashy rims either. That's why my rims are brushed with only a polished lip. No gaudy chrome, crystals, or other such non-sense...I have much mad respect for Japanese Tuner wheels like Volks but I've gone through my rice-rocket days and I'm more into the whole JDM VIP thing now...like I said, to each his own...no feathers ruffled...

Charonne, it could be that $120 is the price in your area...I'm in LA so there are a lot of places to get stuff like this done...I had a set of 17" Racing Hart CP-035's powered coated Black for my ex-girlfriend's CRX (plus a engine transplant and a few other little "things"...she had the fastest CRX in her neighborhood...until her brother crashed it...idiot.) and it cost me $60/rim. That included a full chemical strip and a base sealer...
Old 05-04-01, 06:58 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Default Re: Flash and Friends...

Originally posted by manaray
Charonne, it could be that $120 is the price in your area...I'm in LA so there are a lot of places to get stuff like this done...I had a set of 17" Racing Hart CP-035's powered coated Black for my ex-girlfriend's CRX (plus a engine transplant and a few other little "things"...she had the fastest CRX in her neighborhood...until her brother crashed it...idiot.) and it cost me $60/rim. That included a full chemical strip and a base sealer...
Yeah, I think you're right! The place that gave him the estimate is the only one in town that does powder-coating.

C.

Quick Reply: White wheels on white GS400?