GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HRE/I forged on GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 06:59 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by beauphus
just out of curiosity...is this hub ring typically needed with WORK wheels? if so do they provide it? thanks!
I just put on a set of new WORK wheels and the installer @ Luxury Motorworks said that the wheels came with Hubcentric rings built into them. I don't know if that is true for all Work wheels, but it was on mine (Euroline LS)
Old 11-21-04, 07:11 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

if your looking for a set of I-forged wheels, I have a set for sale and they will come the hub-centric rings that I-forged supplied..And they do ride smooth even at 60 mph..Heres the link if interested..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=140600

Last edited by johnee78; 11-21-04 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-21-04, 07:19 PM
GS408
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does hub centric mean? and is this something i should be asking about when i buy rims?
Old 11-21-04, 07:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by GS408
what does hub centric mean? and is this something i should be asking about when i buy rims?
It is something you should know about the rims you buy, only to make sure if you need rings or not.

As for what it means, when you take the wheels off your car, you will see a lip at the center of the hub. Rims that are hub-centric fits exactly onto that lip so that the wheel is centered using that lip. Rims that are not hub-centric usually has a hole larger than the hub center bore. These are considered lug-centric as it depends on the lugs and the mounting procedure to center the wheels. You can be slightly off in this method and get vibrations at higher speeds.
Old 11-21-04, 07:31 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
thanks Bit- that's what I figured. Which HREs do you have and any suggestions on where to buy?
I had some vibrations at higher speeds before putting on hub-centric rings on my iForged. They are fine now.

Only you Chuck can determine the value of getting HREs (or other "naturally" hub-centric rims). If it will forever bug you in the back of your mind that the rims are not hub-centric, then go for something that is. I personally would prefer rims to be hub-centric but if they are not, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

As for which HRE, they are all nice in their own way. It depends on which style you like. The 546R you posted is nice. If you like it, go for it. No need to convince you to NOT buy these beautiful rims.
Old 11-21-04, 11:17 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 18" Volks use centering rings and I have never had any vibration or balance issues.
Old 11-22-04, 01:36 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have esperienced with three different sets of JDM wheels on my car. All three set of wheels needed a hub centric ring. Which it never gave me any shaking at any speeds no problems and it will not make your car ride ricey. I dunno if all wheels manucfaturer will provide you with the hub centric rings, But the three sets of wheels i've purchased through GS4Will were included along with new sets of lug nuts and locks. Good luck with your purchase. I agreed with bitkuna.. For the GS you should run staggered setup. It will make your car look better in my opinion.

Tommy
Old 11-22-04, 04:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,622 Posts

thanks Bit- that's what I figured. Which HREs do you have and any suggestions on where to buy?
Are any of the iforged hubcentric?
BTW-I'd even consider stock GS chrome 5 spoke 17s if anyone has some laying around or knows where to get new ones
As you can see from other posts chuck, many have no problems with centering rings and non-hubcentric rims, so as they say, people's mileage varies. HRE's are all good, just expensive. I have the 540R design. You can check out designs, even see them on your car, at www.hrewheels.com. I *thought* iForged made some hubcentric rims, but I'm the wrong guy to ask.

As far as getting stock GS rims, there's often a set for sale in classifieds on here, and usually lots on eBay too.

If you're considering stock 17s too, I guess I need to ask what your goal is? If those will suffice, I wouldn't shell out all the money for HREs!
Old 11-22-04, 05:01 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna

If you're considering stock 17s too, I guess I need to ask what your goal is? If those will suffice, I wouldn't shell out all the money for HREs!
My goal is to have some nice qualtiy chrome or polished wheels. I honestly like the look of the stock 5spoke chrome 17s and the oem quality appeals to me. I know the HREs are a whole different league.

I guess I'm kinda thinking do it right or not at all. (and the stock chromies are kinda like not at all-just a change)

Obviously a wheel change is coming sooner or later

oh yah-where is a good place to buy HRE wheels?

Last edited by chuckb; 11-22-04 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-22-04, 06:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

You can pm Henry ( rominl ) he gave me suggestions/contacts in acquiring the HRE's on my G35 coupe, you can also contact wheelexpert.com.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-22-04 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-22-04, 07:14 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I am kinda surprised that the Iforged ( obviously I wrongly assumed they are a custom wheel manufacturer ) wheels are not hub centric...............................

If you are picky (about possible vibration because wheels are not hub centric) and can afford the HRE's - go for it. You will pay more but you will not regret it one bit. Quality and craftsmanship is very high.

I have a set of HRE 447R's on my GS and other than the fact they they look smaller than they actually are (18 inches), they are absolutely PERFECT!

There is a proverb that goes like this "You get what you pay for" . That definitely applies to HRE's 100%!!.

I cannot comment on IForged wheels or any other aftermarket wheels as I don't have any personal experience with them.

Last edited by Hameed; 11-22-04 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-22-04, 09:38 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

My goal is to have some nice qualtiy chrome or polished wheels. I honestly like the look of the stock 5spoke chrome 17s and the oem quality appeals to me. I know the HREs are a whole different league.

I guess I'm kinda thinking do it right or not at all. (and the stock chromies are kinda like not at all-just a change)

Obviously a wheel change is coming sooner or later

I don't really get this: Why is it that "doing it right" has to mean getting HRE wheels? There are a gazillion other wheels that are just as good for less money than them. They are not the ultimate creme-de-la-creme of wheels, you know....

....just my lousy 2 cents.
Old 11-22-04, 11:07 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

most aftermarket rims(except for HREs i believe) require hubcentric rings....
Old 11-23-04, 04:46 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

I know I'm late but I have iForged and USED to have vibration around 80mph when they were first put on the car. My average crusing speed is about 85mph and the ride is buttery smooth.

Also, iForged provides the ring. It fits perfects snug, I think I even hammered it in, can't remember. Like another member mentioned, its a small plastic ring thats just a little bigger then the center cap. Not worth paying double for HRE, IMO.

I get slight vibration when braking so if anyone can help me figure that out, PM me.
Old 11-23-04, 04:46 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
I don't really get this: Why is it that "doing it right" has to mean getting HRE wheels? There are a gazillion other wheels that are just as good for less money than them. They are not the ultimate creme-de-la-creme of wheels, you know....

....just my lousy 2 cents.
JT-by doing it right I mean wheels that are hubcentric and fit like they were made for the car.(and look good)They don't have to be HREs. But they do have to be forged and hubcentric

Quick Reply: HRE/I forged on GS ?