GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HRE/I forged on GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04 | 04:52 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by chuckb
JT-by doing it right I mean wheels that are hubcentric and fit like they were made for the car.(and look good)They don't have to be HREs. But they do have to be forged and hubcentric
Ahh ok, I can tell you right now that most aftermarket wheels you find will NOT be hubcentric because they have to make them slightly larger to fit the different sized "lips" on the mounting hubs of various auto makers. So, I figure it'd be better off to get something u actually really like without worrying the hubcentricity of the wheel (coz the hubcentric ring will take care of any issue) and not limit yourself to just a few particular models....
Old 11-23-04 | 06:29 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Thats the difference between HRE and "other" manufacturers.......most make the wheels that will require a hub centric ring due to mass production....they want a "one size fits all" wheel....which is achieved due to the hub centric rings.

HRE on the other hand custom makes wheels for specific applications......which also makes them more expensive. You pay more, but you get a rediculously high quality wheel that is specifically made to your needs....not just your make and style car, but your specific needs, ie offsets, etc....

By the way, dont under estimate the importance of a hub centric wheel, it can cause alot of grief if not correct. As many people that there are who say the hub centric rings have been good to them, I have heard a ton of bad stories with them as well.

Not that there arent other wheels out there that are high quality, but after woning two sets of HREs (soon to be three), I couldnt see myself going anywhere else for my wheels. I searched long and hard this time around for a new set of wheel, but I kept coming back to HRE. When you take the quality of the wheel, coupled with the customer service, and hand made applications.....you cant beat them in my opinion.

Plus its the Pimp factor, you cant drive a Lambo for two years then go buy a Mustang........thats how I felt about going from HRE's to anything else.
Old 11-23-04 | 06:41 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Thats the difference between HRE and "other" manufacturers.......most make the wheels that will require a hub centric ring due to mass production....they want a "one size fits all" wheel....which is achieved due to the hub centric rings.

HRE on the other hand custom makes wheels for specific applications......which also makes them more expensive. You pay more, but you get a rediculously high quality wheel that is specifically made to your needs....not just your make and style car, but your specific needs, ie offsets, etc....

By the way, dont under estimate the importance of a hub centric wheel, it can cause alot of grief if not correct. As many people that there are who say the hub centric rings have been good to them, I have heard a ton of bad stories with them as well.

Not that there arent other wheels out there that are high quality, but after woning two sets of HREs (soon to be three), I couldnt see myself going anywhere else for my wheels. I searched long and hard this time around for a new set of wheel, but I kept coming back to HRE. When you take the quality of the wheel, coupled with the customer service, and hand made applications.....you cant beat them in my opinion.

Plus its the Pimp factor, you cant drive a Lambo for two years then go buy a Mustang........thats how I felt about going from HRE's to anything else.

damm showoff comeon now jeff you know your wheels come from discount tire (LOL)

Last edited by lexforlife; 11-23-04 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-23-04 | 08:35 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

You put the words in my mouth TTurboPimp!!

Like I said before, you get what you pay for. Comments such as HRE's are not worth what they retail for sound as if HRE are gouging their customers and selling you a product that is ''not" really worth (quality wise) the price they ask for.

I have to disagree with that. Yes there are a gazzillion other wheel manufacturers out there, but I strongly feel that if you buy a quality car like a Lexus, it deserves nothing less than a high quality wheel. HRE is such a manufacturer and I'm sure there are others out there. The point I am trying to make is that I strongly feel (just like TTurboPimp) that they are not overpriced. They are worth the extra money.
Old 11-23-04 | 08:45 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Don't get me wrong. HRE makes wonderful wheels, I agree to that. It's just that my comment was stemmed off by the first comment made about the "do it right, or stay stock" part. I assumed that what he meant by "doing it right" as getting the ONLY wheels that are right, which would be HRE in his case. It was the general feeling I felt all over CL, that HRE is the final end to all wheels. I am just humbly feeling that it is not so the case. Feelings like that are so myopic in my opinion that anyone who thinks like that is severely limiting his own choices.

It's almost like a guy that says, "Either I buy an Enzo, or I will just walk till I can afford one". All I am saying is there are many options out there and one shouldn't be limiting his choice based purely on hubcentric issue alone.
Old 11-23-04 | 09:06 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

, you cant drive a Lambo for two years then go buy a Mustang........thats how I felt about going from HRE's to anything else.

thats a terrible comaprison.... we all know HRE is a great great comapany as far quality. no disrespect but going from HRE's to say I-forged or high end JDM wheels is not like going from a Lambo to a mustang. its like going from a Lambo to a Ferrari or Porsche... with money in your pocket to pay for a movie and wendy's

Last edited by bluelex; 11-23-04 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-23-04 | 09:33 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

thats a terrible comaprison.... we all know HRE is a great great comapany as far quality. no disrespect but going from HRE's to say I-forged or high end JDM wheels is not like going from a Lambo to a mustang. its like going from a Lambo to a Ferrari or Porsche... with money in your pocket to pay for a movie and wendy's
LMAO so funny A

What if I am going from Katana to iForged, can I use the comparison of a yugo to a ferrari???
Old 11-23-04 | 10:08 AM
Neo
The One

I think many on CL has gotten too HRE jaded. Are they nice wheels? I will not dispute anyone there. They are well made/engineered wheels and would I turn down a set? No.

Still, the pedestal that some has put HREs on are way too lofty. HRE is not the end all be all. For example, they have clear coat problems like everyone else. If you hit something hard enough, they will bend like other wheels. The problems may be less frequent but they are there. HRE also has a finite set of designs. I like some of them but some are not pleasing. Others may have different tastes and like the ones I don't like. Others may not like any of them enough to pay for the engineering alone.

Everyone has a goal and a budget. Some but not many can afford to and does not care about paying retail outright. Some cannot. Some has hook-ups or got/can get fantastic deals on wheels. If I can get a set of Work wheels that I want for 2000-2500 or I can get the HREs I want for 6000, are the HREs worth almost 3 times the cost. I think not. Continuing with the same numbers, if the alternative wheels I want are 5000 - 5500, then I would consider paying the extra for the HREs or if I can get HREs for 3000, I would opt for the HREs. I am assuming that I like both design and craftsmanship/engineering and the only issue is cost. This is why, for me, worth is relative and not absolute.

Some who have gotten their car for 15k may not feel it is worth about 1/3 the car to put wheels on. Some may see it as saving on the car so more can be put into wheels. These assessments are all personal. As long as we focus on well made wheels, there really is no right or wrong. The ones with HREs will ultimately defend the purchase and the ones who made other purchases will do the same. Nothing wrong with it.

I think HREs are worth the money depending on what that money is and on the situation. I am not bashing HRE (and that is entirely not my intent if things sound like it) but just keeping them in perspective.
Old 11-23-04 | 10:08 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Folks, here is a link where you can get some hub centric Rings for your car:

http://www.prestigewheel.com/HubRingsbyMake.asp

You will need some info on your wheels like Whee Bore size?

The GS HubSnout is 60.06mm/2.365
Old 11-23-04 | 10:13 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Neo- we think the same, u just write it better..
Old 11-23-04 | 10:19 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

All I know is that Lexus' come factory with hubcentric wheels for a reason. I'm with Hameed and Turbopimp. I'll pay more for quality-that's why I've got a Lex.

And like I said, ride quality is very important to me-so why risk it w/non-hubcentric wheels.

I'm not biased to just HRE. I just want a quality hubcentric 18inch forged wheel. Any other suggestions?

BTW-That sucks Iforged aren't hubcentric because their wheels look great(even though some models seem to be obvious HRE knock offs)

Last edited by chuckb; 11-23-04 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-23-04 | 10:35 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

All I know is that Lexus' come factory with hubcentric wheels for a reason. I'm with Hameed and Turbopimp. I'll pay more for quality-that's why I've got a Lex.
Its kinda s hame that you feel this way because youa re severley minimizing your opportunity with wheels. So many members on this board have non hubcentric wheels and face NO problems what so ever, I would think more about it if you want a good selection of wheels.
Old 11-23-04 | 10:39 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lexis11
Its kinda s hame that you feel this way because youa re severley minimizing your opportunity with wheels. So many members on this board have non hubcentric wheels and face NO problems what so ever, I would think more about it if you want a good selection of wheels.
If you knew my luck you would know that If I buy non-hubcentric wheels-I will be one of the ones who has problems
Old 11-23-04 | 10:47 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally posted by Neo
I think many on CL has gotten too HRE jaded. Are they nice wheels? I will not dispute anyone there. They are well made/engineered wheels and would I turn down a set? No.

Still, the pedestal that some has put HREs on are way too lofty. HRE is not the end all be all. For example, they have clear coat problems like everyone else. If you hit something hard enough, they will bend like other wheels. The problems may be less frequent but they are there. HRE also has a finite set of designs. I like some of them but some are not pleasing. Others may have different tastes and like the ones I don't like. Others may not like any of them enough to pay for the engineering alone.

Everyone has a goal and a budget. Some but not many can afford to and does not care about paying retail outright. Some cannot. Some has hook-ups or got/can get fantastic deals on wheels. If I can get a set of Work wheels that I want for 2000-2500 or I can get the HREs I want for 6000, are the HREs worth almost 3 times the cost. I think not. Continuing with the same numbers, if the alternative wheels I want are 5000 - 5500, then I would consider paying the extra for the HREs or if I can get HREs for 3000, I would opt for the HREs. I am assuming that I like both design and craftsmanship/engineering and the only issue is cost. This is why, for me, worth is relative and not absolute.

Some who have gotten their car for 15k may not feel it is worth about 1/3 the car to put wheels on. Some may see it as saving on the car so more can be put into wheels. These assessments are all personal. As long as we focus on well made wheels, there really is no right or wrong. The ones with HREs will ultimately defend the purchase and the ones who made other purchases will do the same. Nothing wrong with it.

I think HREs are worth the money depending on what that money is and on the situation. I am not bashing HRE (and that is entirely not my intent if things sound like it) but just keeping them in perspective.
I couldn't of written it better myself..you and Jon(jtanoyo1) both make excellent points..IMO, I think it's very closed minded of a person or group of people to think that you can only get quality wheel from only one manufacturer, but that seems to be the trend, here on CL..
Old 11-23-04 | 10:49 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by bluelex
Neo- we think the same, u just write it better..
Nah. I just had a little more time.

Originally posted by chuckb
All I know is that Lexus' don't come factory with non-hubcentric wheels for a reason. I'm with Hameed and Turbopimp. I'll pay more for quality-that's why I've got a Lex.
Well, it is very difficult to compare to OEM. I do applaud HREs in this respect. I'll stand by my earlier statement on worth though.

If you are comparing to OEM, even the less expensive Civics, Tercels, ... come naturally hub-centric so this aspect has nothing to do with the Lexus quality.

Chuck,
I see you bought a used 2001 GS430. You probably did your research and got a good enough deal on it to make the leap. You also jumped on the L-Tuned deal. Would you have done so if the pricing was still retail? I am not trying to make it a negative thing. I would have done the same thing. You made decisions (and IMO wise ones at that) that were based on thorough research, availability, and opportunity. Again, relative worth.

Are Lexus the best cars out there? For the sports driving enthusiasts, they will still say a stock BMW will out drive a stock GS. The BMWs are tuned for driving from the factory while the GS is not. The GS can be modded to drive well, but it will not be like that from the factory (goes back to your factory point). Does this make the GS a lesser choice? Not to me since I saved some $ and there are other benefits that come with the Lexus over the BMWs. I'll let you fill in the blank on the benefits since it is potentially different for each of us.

If you find a deal on some good hub-centric wheels with the styling you like at the price point you like (or if the style is OK but the deal compensates for it in your scale of worth), then go for it. If hub-centricity is VERY high on your scale of worth, then you are doing the right thing. I'd just hate for you to pass up on some nice wheels because of it. You've made some good reasonable choices so far and I don't think hub-centric rings are bad (or at least bad enough to take a hardline stance).

As for other maufacturers, you may want to look at O.Z. They make very strong wheels; The L-Tuned wheels are O.Z. and they came hub-centric. L-Tuned supposedly bought out O.Z. remaining stock of the ones they offered to make them exclusive to L-Tuned. Because of this, I don't think O.Z. re-casted the wheels to have the Lexus hub bore size. O.Z. also makes JP Scaras, another pricey exclusive wheel.

Quick Reply: HRE/I forged on GS ?