GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HRE/I forged on GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 10:59 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

In addition to hub centric rings , they also make metal ones aside form the plastic ones...
Old 11-23-04, 11:31 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

oh god , not this hre vs iforged and all others thread again..

i see no one has even mentioned your top of the line fully forged wheels (lips and barrels)such as fiske and kinesis.. hre are just like iforged and even my ssr gt3 with only forged centers and heat treated spun alloy for the lips and barrels... hres are custom made applications as turbopimp stated so it can be made to fit the hub without centering rings.. a plus for some and no real big deal for others..as well as custom offsets to boot ... thats part of the premium paid for a outstanding built wheel

hre is king but not the only lion in the jungle
Old 11-23-04, 12:22 PM
beauphus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think if it were a major problem to have non-hubcentric rims then it would be a big deal on this and every forum out there...the after market non-hubcentric wheel makers would dry up and everybody would go bankrupt if they didnt produce hubcentric wheels...

next thing you know 20/20 & barbara walters will be doing a special on non-hubcentric rims and safety issues and everyone will sell their aftermarket wheels (except HRE owners)...we're all gonna die if we dont have HRE's...can u imagine the hysteria? im canceling my latest WORK wheel order...j/k

if you want HRE's great!! if not you'll still be okay IMO...
Old 11-23-04, 01:50 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are OZ Scaras hub centric?

BTW-I hope no one misunderstood my intentions- I'm NOT at all saying HRE is the only good wheel and all other are crap. I just want hubcentric forged wheels-HRE or not

NEO-nice write up - And yes, I HATE paying retail, but I love nice stuff I almost went for the 17inch OZ superturismo with tires GB- but I'm not quite sold on the appearance of those wheels. Plus, I just spent $600 on new tires for my 16s before that deal came up

I'm not here to bash anyone or their rims-I'm just "researching" my wheel options.
Old 11-23-04, 02:09 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it really people with HRE's justifying their purchases, or is it those that dont want to spend the cash on them justifying the fact that they dont?????

Its funny to me how many people will get up in arms to jump on the people who back HRE's.........which by the way is purely ones opinion. It happens damn near every thread that comes about on here involving if they are worth the cash.......obviously they are to some, their still in business.

Nobody said that they were the only option out there......just amongst the best!
Old 11-23-04, 02:20 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

great point of view jeff , but not spending the cash is not in the equation...some can justify the cost because they want some custom fitiment , some cannot jusitfy the excess cost because they might not require and or desire to have custom fit so generic high quality semi forged (which is what hre offer as well) would better suit those

it all boils down to each is own .. running with hub centrentic rings does not make the wheel maker or wheel itself inferior...
Old 11-23-04, 02:47 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
Are OZ Scaras hub centric?
I am not sure. I will ask JunctionGS the next time I talk to him, or if he answers, or if someone lile TLW, who owns a set, answers.

I hope no one misunderstood my intentions- I'm NOT at all saying HRE is the only good wheel and all other are crap. I just want hubcentric forged wheels-HRE or not
Yes. This is why I tried to focus on the hub-centricity issue whenI addressed you.

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Is it really people with HRE's justifying their purchases, or is it those that dont want to spend the cash on them justifying the fact that they dont?????
I think it is a little of both. I am sure when I get my next wheel, HRE or not, I will extoll its virtues. I don't think anyone is targeting specific people. People who bought HREs are fully within their right to support their decisions. The ones who did not should also have the freedom to give their point of view. I do think I get a general feeling on CL that HREs are highly thought of but I just thought the high elevation is a bit too high. I like HREs and part of the respect was due to Bob's contribution to the forum. It gave HRE,as a company, a more approachable feel and I liked that. With Bob's departure, HRE is just another good wheel company again.

HRE also lost some of its mystique to me when I was at HIN earlier this year. I don't participate or go to car shows so this was my first opportunity for both. In the "VIP class" hall with the BMWs and MBs, there were so many HREs that they felt like a dime-a-dozen. They were beautiful in person but in that space, they were common.

Anyway, my posts were directed more at my sense of the forum's general attitude towards HRE and not anyone (owner or not) in particular. If it felt like that, I apologize.

Old 11-23-04, 02:51 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

If your purchasing wheels, the only person that the buyer needs to justify anything to is his or herself. Not everyone has the same budget, or desire to spend HRE kind of cash on wheels. Plain and simple.

I do though!!! (the desire that is, not necessarily the budget)

If they were free.....what would you rather have...HRE's, or some of their competition??

By the way, after I sold my last set of HRE's.....I searched long and hard for a replacement, and did not automatically turn to HRE. I was looking for a particular style that HRE does not carry. After looking into other wheels, and seeing how close the price was.....I decided to go back to HRE.....mainly due to the quality that I have experienced with them.....I do have a very opened mind, but I also demand the evry best for my rides.

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 11-23-04 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 03:24 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I was really hoping this thread would not take this turn, but I guess its just the nature of people (with all of us being just human). As many have mentioned, the things that we hold near and dear to our hearts are what we will defend, and this applies to ANYTHING. Overpriced clothes, loud colored furniture, expensive golf clubs, whatever. A person pays their HARD EARNED money for something and that possesion is elevated in the eyes of its owner (perceived value).

The HRE versus iFORGED/ JDM yadda yadda arguement is so old and tired now, that I will not even acknowelege it. I just think that a certain aspect of manufacturing that is held in higher regard for a small amount of people should not allow blanket statements ( "BUY XXX OR BUST") to be made. One thing that I think is forgotten is this is a written message board, and the subtleties of voice inflection, facial expression and body language cannot be captured. So if I come and say "I WANTED THE BEST SO I BOUGHT I-FORGED", or "I AINT MESSIN UP MY RIDE WITH NO JUNK, SO I GOT ZAUBER", of course SOMEONE out there is going to read that and take offense! I'm sure chuck and 'Pimp did not mean to offend anyone in their statements, and that was made clear after 2-3 posts, but the initial shock is easy to understand. I personally hold lip sizing options in high regard, with most 3pc forged wheels (HRE / iFORGED whomever), the lip sizing in the rear on a GS is pretty much stuck at 3" with normal offsets widths etc. The outer barrels only come in half inch increments. With iFORGED 2pc the lip can be whatever the offsets dictates (down to a mm), thus a 3.35" or 3.6" etcetc. Just because HRE does not offer that option, I would never think to say "AHH, THEY DONT EVEN HAVE ANY LIP SIZES". Or any other blanket statement. Lip size is important to ME personally, but others may have different priorites.

As far as the hubcentric thing goes, I will be the first to state that in order to offer a top notch product within a certain price range certain concessions must be made. iFORGED obviously wanted to make a wheel with premium materials, finishes, offsets, and custom tailored lip sizes. In order to do that, I would assume the hub centric center may have pushed the production costs into another realm ( and out of the price range of many consumers), so they chose the hubcentric ring route. I make this same assumption about the VAST amount of JDM wheel makers that use the same process. Quite honestly, I would rather a concession be made on hubicity rather than wheel strength, aluminum density, offset availibility etc etc.

I honestly think HRE is a TOP NOTCH PRODUCT. And to those that choose to spend that amount of money on them deserve to have some features/benefits that justify that price premium. I also think iFORGED/WORK/WALD etc etc are great products as well, with features/benefits that justify their price premium over lesser wheels.
Old 11-23-04, 03:52 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

how do you know if your wheels are hub centric.. i mean honestly i have no clue about this.. do my MAYA DTS have these..
also when i was looking into a wheel .. i was kind os specific on what i wanted... now HRE were some of my choices.. and i looked at Jeffs quite a few times.. and came close to buying them.. but im more of a flashy person.. i want the chrome reflection your car when i drvie by.. HRE doesnt do this for me.. hre is a great wheel and VERY sporty.. i just wanted mre BLING.. but i have heard HRE came out with some new wheels ...
witht his being said i spent 5k on my wheels... i didnt realyl carea botu price .. i wanted soemthing i liked.. HRE didnt do it for me.. i mean i liked but wasnt liek OH CRAP.. i want those..
but anyways.. anyone know is mayas are hubcentric
Old 11-23-04, 04:00 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default hubcentric

Originally posted by 00lexondub
how do you know if your wheels are hub centric.. i mean honestly i have no clue about this.. do my MAYA DTS have these..
also when i was looking into a wheel .. i was kind os specific on what i wanted... now HRE were some of my choices.. and i looked at Jeffs quite a few times.. and came close to buying them.. but im more of a flashy person.. i want the chrome reflection your car when i drvie by.. HRE doesnt do this for me.. hre is a great wheel and VERY sporty.. i just wanted mre BLING.. but i have heard HRE came out with some new wheels ...
witht his being said i spent 5k on my wheels... i didnt realyl carea botu price .. i wanted soemthing i liked.. HRE didnt do it for me.. i mean i liked but wasnt liek OH CRAP.. i want those..
but anyways.. anyone know is mayas are hubcentric

My Mayas were custom made for me but still needed a hubcentric ring. I was told they did that in case I didn't really go through with the deal or wanted to sell them later. In other words, you get some flexibility in fitment. I have bought over 10 sets of wheels and never had a problem with hubcentric rings. You just need the right one. Some shops are inexperienced but these days, manufacturers know enough to tell dealers what rings to use on which wheels.
Old 11-23-04, 04:02 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW-That sucks Iforged aren't hubcentric because their wheels look great(even though some models seem to be obvious HRE knock offs)
if we are going into the who copied who territory than we could start with HRE aswell. doing wheels that looks like the older BBS's and Fiske's.......all companies copy each other designs. why do you think you go to the mall and you see 10 different companies doing the same style turtle neck shirt.

Last edited by bluelex; 11-23-04 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 04:13 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Yup I agree very much so. When I first arrived on this board the big hoopla was HRE and I remember looking at the wheel line and thinking wow for 6k these are very vanilla, which is perfectly fine. I obviously have had very cheap wheels for 1.5 years now but with my new purchse I got soooooooooo much bang for the buck it was a no brainer. I am sure HRE are very well made no one is questioning that but having hubcentric wheels does not make them inferior to anyone.
Old 11-23-04, 04:35 PM
GS408
Pole Position

Talking

I don't know but I'm just glad I joined Club Lexus. Until now, I have never even heard of all the stuff you guys talk about on here...hub centric, BBK, yada yada etc etc...for a while I didn't even know what BBK was...haha... And all these name brands you guys throw around like iForged, HRE, teins etc......

I read alot of the post and forums and it sure helps!...My GS is coming along and I will post a pic when I feel it is worthy enough....(just put on my l-tuned skirts)

but anyways.... nice thread...its helping me make some decisions on rims...im thinking iforged!!!
Old 11-23-04, 05:57 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

you guys are focusing too much on the hib centric part of this conversation.........its not just that part of it that makes one wheel better than the other.

Also.......How short memories are........just a short itme ago there was a thread two miles long ready to lynch a particular wheel manufacturer due to their complete F Up of another CL members wheel order.......so lets throw customer service into the mix as well.

I would love to see a top five wheel manufacturer poll ont his forum....with reasons why they made the list!!

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 11-23-04 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: HRE/I forged on GS ?