GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Moon roof Glass adjustment???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 05:28 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moon roof Glass adjustment???

I was cleaning the GS today and noticed that the back end of the moon roof glass is below the body line. I looked on the inside when I was finished and pushed up on the glass and it was giving A LOT. I took the black trim parts off the glass surround to see if the bolts were loose, but none of them were. I checked the glass bolts and they were all at their lowest point, meaning that the glass was at its highest at the rear. so, my question: is there another way to adjust the glass so the back can be where its supposed to be? Also, this might explain my beef with cabin noise that I've been noticing lately.

Last edited by Stage3; 11-21-04 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-21-04, 05:59 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Stage 3 -- it is my understanding that the glass is adjustable front to back and side to side, but not up and down. I had the infamous TSB performed on my car to correct the moonroof creaking/popping problem and ended up with a really bad air leak. I watched the technician adjust the moonroof laterally and front to back to fix the problem. The only way to adjust the height is through the use of shims. I believe it is normal for the moonroof to sit slightly beneath the roofline. If you do some searching, I am sure this issue has been discussed before.

Oh, and as for the fact that the moonroof has a lot of vertical give when you push up on it from the inside, it is supposed to do this. Here's the test. Exit your car and close your door with a little force while watching the moonroof. You will see that it pops up a bit. I was told that the moonroof is deliberately manufactured to have some give to alleviate cabin pressure issues. Maybe I was fed a line, but it made sense to me. I hope this helps.

e-man
Old 11-21-04, 06:35 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it does make sense. Maybe its just my experience on VWs thats making me paranoid. If you notice on VW's that come with sunroofs, they usually have the front a little below the roof line and the back a little higher than the roof line (or at least thats what we did at our dealership). The glass never used to move any when the door was shut (yeah, i noticed that when i first got the car). maybe the GS is supposed to be that way (the water seems to run off of the roof well) but im paranoid that its going to start leaking... and once a roof gets a leak, its about impossible to find it until its WAY too late.
Old 11-21-04, 06:46 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah. I wouldn't be concerned about how it looks. When I was having the wind leak issues, they put shims in the back of mine, so now the back of my moonroof sits just above the roofline. If I could go back and do it over again, I wouldn't have had the TSB done, and I would have left well enough alone. Once they start adjusting things away from the stock position, I would think it's really hard to get it back to the way it was. Just my .02. The good news is that mine seems pretty quiet, so I'm going to leave it alone.

If you are hearing wind noise in the cabin, there's a few easy things you can check:

(1) Have you checked the undercarriage plugs? There are six of them, and sometimes they fall out. Wind rushes up through these holes (especially on the highway), and sometimes comes up through the a-pillars and makes it seem as if you have window wind noise when you really don't. I'd check that first.

(2) The second thing I'd check would be the moonroof water drainage tubes. They exit the car in the rear wheel wells and sometimes they hang down too low, which also transmits wind and road noise into the cabin. If they are hanging too low, you should pull them up a bit (you can do this from inside the bottom of the trunk).

There is a lot of information/threads on both of these issues that you should be able to find with a little searching. Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.

e-man
Old 11-23-04, 10:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no matter what though, i think the best way is just bring your car in to dealership and ask if they can asjust it somehow. you don't wanna break it somehow, that's going to be costly