GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

thinking of removing factory spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-04 | 09:33 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

Default thinking of removing factory spoiler?

I think the factory spoiler just doesn't flow to well with the car.I am thinking of removing it.How hard would it be and what will it look like once the spoiler is gone.I.E. holes? thanks
Old 11-25-04 | 09:44 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Default Re: thinking of removing factory spoiler?

Hey Buddy-

Happy Thanksgiving!

On the WRX forums, I've seen people who have spoilers swap out the entire trunk lid with other owners who don't have the spoilers so they don't have to worry about the holes.

That might be a route you can take since you don't have to worry about holes.

2 hurdles to this idea are: 1) Your VIN number on the trunk lid won't match the rest of your car. 2) you need to find someone with the same paint code as your car who doesn't have a spoiler but would like one and is willing to overcome hurdle number 1 as well.

Good luck!

(maybe just bolt on a diff spoiler and have the new one match the current holes?)

Clifford

Originally posted by BUSTN
I think the factory spoiler just doesn't flow to well with the car.I am thinking of removing it.How hard would it be and what will it look like once the spoiler is gone.I.E. holes? thanks
Old 11-25-04 | 10:39 AM
FRENCHIE
Driver

i wouldnt mind gettin a diff spoiler also, but have the same problem!!??
Old 11-25-04 | 11:10 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: thinking of removing factory spoiler?

Originally posted by BUSTN
yes there would be holes

and believe its only 4 bolts

if you decide to replace it

check out the Junction Produce 3 pc spoiler

imo it s the one that flows best with GS's lines

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=eyelid

Last edited by T.L.W.; 11-25-04 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-25-04 | 01:46 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Hey guys. Been there, done that. In my opinion, the best option (which is the one I went with) is to get a new trunk. I found that most body shops wouldn't remove the spoiler and repair the trunk because they said I would never be satisfied. Holes are difficult to repair, and the discerning eye will always notice irregularities in the areas where the holes once were. I have a 98 GS400 in alpine silver, and I found a dealership not too far from my office that had a 99 GS400 in the same color. They were willing to swap out the trunk for free (I assume that my trunk was worth more with the spoiler on it, and that canceled out the cost for the manhours). Anyway, if you go this route, it is true that the vin number on the trunk won't match your car. Two thoughts about that -- (1) the vin number is on a sticker on the underside of the trunk but it is covered by the trunk lining, so no one will ever see it; and (2) if someone does see it, it can be very easily explained, especially if you have pictures to back up your story. That being said, here are a few things to watch out for: (1) make sure the paint matches exactly -- paint wears differently on different cars depending on a number of factors, and the last thing you want is a mismatched trunk (in my case, the dealer made very sure that it matched, because obviously they had just as much interest in it matching as well); (2) make sure the dealer changes out the lock cylinders or else you will only be able to open the trunk with the remote release (either inside your car or on your key); and (3) make sure the trunk opens and closes easily and the gaps are uniform all around.

Anyway, here are some before and after picks:

Before:
Attached Thumbnails thinking of removing factory spoiler?-dscn0207-1-resized-.jpg  
Old 11-25-04 | 01:47 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

After:
Attached Thumbnails thinking of removing factory spoiler?-dscn0435-1-resized-.jpg