GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New lexus owner and windshield question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 09:55 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou E-man
Old 11-29-04, 10:26 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

part #90950-01710-hole plug
Old 11-29-04, 01:24 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Originally posted by chuckb
part #90950-01710-hole plug
Hehe - cool thanks. Glad I found this forum!!!
Old 12-01-04, 06:44 PM
daleer
Pole Position

OK guys the problem did turn out to be an air leak from the top of the windshield. I took the car to a local autoglass guy and he ran some kind of nifty sensor around the edge of the windshield and it lit-up right when he hit the area the leak was at. He then took some black sealant stuff and put it under the windshield molding in that area to prevent air from getting in. Cost me a total of $30 bucks and the problem is totally gone. I'm very happy I took it to that guy and very dissapointed with the Lexus dealership. The liars told me that the problem was that I didn't have oem glass and I needed a new $1100 windshield or I'd continue to have problems. The autoglass guy today pointed out the lexus logo on the lower drivers side of the windshield - it was an oem windshield so they'd flat out lied to me. Guess they were hoping from an easy $1100 from a sucker - thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited by daleer; 12-02-04 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-01-04, 06:57 PM
drwaldo69
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear you got it fixed and welcome to the board. FYI : the Lexus glass is water repellant, at least on the 430s. Says so on the Lexus web site and in the manual. Another interesting thing about our cars I guess. Maybe they mix rain-X in with the glass You can go to the Lexus website and see all the changes through the model years.
Old 12-01-04, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

good to know that it's fixed now that's why i am being very careful choosing a shop to do my windshield too. i have a little crack on my windsheild, it's not getting bigger that's the good thing, so i can try to find a good shop to do it
Old 12-13-04, 06:12 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Daleer. I'm thinking of getting my car looked at for this. Today was a little windy, but the wind noise was out of control. What exactly did they do to your car? Did it solve the problem completely?

e-man
Old 12-14-04, 11:33 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
good to know that it's fixed now that's why i am being very careful choosing a shop to do my windshield too. i have a little crack on my windsheild, it's not getting bigger that's the good thing, so i can try to find a good shop to do it
Daleer, thanks for your input.
It was wrong for you to call them "liars". We call them "stealership" j/k . Unless it was an honest but blind mistake, that was wrong of them to try to rip you off like that!!!
I have a chip in my windshield and bought one of those repair kit thing for about $5. I haven't done it yet, wonder if it's worth the trouble to do it myself? From the instruction, you can't use it for hairline cracks and other more longer or more complex chips, only small and contained one. I'll post if it works.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 12-14-04 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-14-04, 01:13 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Originally posted by e-man
Hey Daleer. I'm thinking of getting my car looked at for this. Today was a little windy, but the wind noise was out of control. What exactly did they do to your car? Did it solve the problem completely?

e-man
The autoglass guy took some tar-like black stuff and put it under the molding around the windshield where the leak was. It solved the problem completely.
Old 12-14-04, 01:44 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Did the black stuff go under the molding? In other words, I assume you can't see the black stuff when looking at the car, right?
Old 12-14-04, 03:29 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by GS3Tek
Daleer, thanks for your input.
I have a chip in my windshield and bought one of those repair kit thing for about $5. I haven't done it yet, wonder if it's worth the trouble to do it myself?
Some insurance company will pay for someone to come out to take care of the chip for free, no deductable. I guess they figure it is cheaper than to have to pay later to replace the whole glass.
Old 12-14-04, 08:38 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The following comment is based on my experiences only...

Lexus techs are TERRIBLE at solving issues. The fact is the cars just don't break that often, but when they do, the techs have no clue how to fix it. My car was in the dealer over a month for a ticking noise - they tried everything from "They all do this" to "we don't hear it" to my favorite "As the car warms up, at a certain temp, the engine computer has no control over what the engine is doing and so it detonates" - I loved that one.

My wife's RX300 trans seal has been replaced twice. Once at 50.3K - they did that under warranty as a "good deed" - and then again at 54K - BY THE SAME DEALER. Both times, we did not report any issue they "just found it". The best part was they wanted $200 when they found it at 54K - we pointed out to them that THEY JUST REPLACED IT FOUR MONTHS AGO! Amazingly enough they found a way to cover that under warranty - EVEN THOUGH IT IS COVERED BY THE 7/60 POWERTRAIN WARRANTY!

Ok, I'm done venting about Lexus service departments.

Last edited by doug_999; 12-14-04 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-14-04, 08:59 PM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Originally posted by Neo
I went through the insurance company on the comprehensive, $100 deductable and insisted on OEM.
Neo,
Just curious which insurance company you have. I just had to replace my w/s a couple of months ago and was insisting oem, but CSAA said no dice, that I would have to pay the difference btw what the glass shop offers as an aftermarket replacement vs. oem lexus. The Lexus glass was over $800 while the PPG or similar was $400. I even tried calling the Dept of Insurance to see if the insurance company could force that on me and they said since it was "like kind and quality" it was okay. Also said that w/s are regulated by the DOT and anyone installed would have to be safe and meet all federal regulations. Since I didn't feel like paying out of pocket (besides the deductible) went w/ the PPG glass since I heard they were decent.
Old 12-14-04, 09:33 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by JyGS430
Neo,
Just curious which insurance company you have.
Allstate.

Last edited by Neo; 12-14-04 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 01:23 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Originally posted by e-man
Did the black stuff go under the molding? In other words, I assume you can't see the black stuff when looking at the car, right?
Yes - that's correct.

Quick Reply: New lexus owner and windshield question