GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New lexus owner and windshield question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-04, 12:45 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New lexus owner and windshield question

Hey all - I just bought my first Lexus (on Ebay :-)) - a 2001 GS430 and I'm stoked to have found this forum - it's awesome - tons of info!! I don't know much about these cars so I'll be having a ton of questions - and here goes my first.

My car has a lot of wind noise coming from the windshield area when I get above 45 mph. I took it to the Lexus dealership and they said that the windshield isn't oem and therefore has a wind/air leak at speed which is causing the noise. They said that I'll have problems with anything other than Lexus glass and I need a new windshield to the tune of $1100. Are they just trying to get business and should I try getting a new windshield from a local autoglass shop for around $225? I can't imagine that a well installed windshield couldn't fix the problem even if it's not oem glass - but if it's really the case better to cough up the $1100 now I guess.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-25-04, 01:02 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

welcome to the club.. i think you can just get a replacement glass from an auto glass place and it should solve the problem you have.
Old 11-25-04, 01:16 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome aboard

and happy thanks giving

i agree just get one from safelite or another local company

[

Last edited by T.L.W.; 11-25-04 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-25-04, 01:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went through the insurance company on the comprehensive, $100 deductable and insisted on OEM.
Old 11-25-04, 01:38 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Just a thought, but are you sure it's coming from the windshield? The reason I ask is because I had a similar problem (so I thought), but it turned out to be the fact that the undercarriage plugs were missing from my car. In short, if the undercarriage plugs fall out, at highway speeds, air rushes up through the holes, up through the a-pillars, and it seems as if you have a wind noise problem coming from the front corner of the windshield where it meets the window. Check under your car to see if the plugs are there. I believe there are a total of 6 -- 2 in the front and 4 in the back. You will want to focus on the 2 front ones. They are positioned just behind the front wheels, about one foot in from the side of the car. You can't miss them. They're about $2 to replace, which is a heck of a lot easier to swallow than several hundred or more. Let us know how it turns out.

e-man
Old 11-25-04, 01:45 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus OEM windshield I think are really expensive. The thing is the windshield are so subject to get a crack or have a rock hit it and there goes that 1100 dollar windshield.
Old 11-25-04, 03:26 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Wow - thanks for all the reply's - I really appreciate it. So first thing I'll check is the undercarriage plugs as e-man suggests , if the plugs are there - I'll try going for a replacement windshield from local autoglass shop. Hopefully one of those will fix it - this is coming out of my own pocket so oem glass will be a last resort I guess.
Old 11-25-04, 04:08 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

One more interesting thing about windshields: even replacement windshields cost godawful, but when you mention your insurance, all of a sudden the price generally will become whatever insurance will pay and you are only out the deductible on your comprehensive (which is, I think, where Neo was going with his post). At least, so has been my experience in times past..........

And I agree that there should be no problem with any local reputable glass company, regardless.
Old 11-25-04, 05:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a chip and had it replaced for free via insurance. In FL there is no deduct for windshield. I also insisted on oem and an oem molding kit. The dealer told me who does their winshields and sent me to them for install
Old 11-25-04, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally i don't think it has to do with oem or not, it has to do with the install and whether it's done correctly. if it's instlaled correctly it should be ok
Old 11-27-04, 08:12 AM
ballin
Pole Position

Default OEM Windsheild

Wow, $1100. I heard from a dealer that some of the Lexus windshields are impregnated with rain repelling substance. I was wandering maybe thats why its so expensive. Have any of you heard of this before?
Old 11-27-04, 08:22 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: OEM Windsheild

Originally posted by ballin
Wow, $1100. I heard from a dealer that some of the Lexus windshields are impregnated with rain repelling substance. I was wandering maybe thats why its so expensive. Have any of you heard of this before?
well i dont know about others but i notice that my windshield and rear windshield beads water way better than any of my friends cars. i dont use any chemcials on my windows either.
Old 11-27-04, 09:31 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: OEM Windsheild

Originally posted by joshoowa
well i dont know about others but i notice that my windshield and rear windshield beads water way better than any of my friends cars. i dont use any chemcials on my windows either.
I have noticed that too. I thought maybe it had to do with the window wash I use.

I have also seen aftermarket winshield that look wavy from side angles.

Last edited by chuckb; 11-27-04 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-29-04, 09:12 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Originally posted by e-man
Just a thought, but are you sure it's coming from the windshield? The reason I ask is because I had a similar problem (so I thought), but it turned out to be the fact that the undercarriage plugs were missing from my car. In short, if the undercarriage plugs fall out, at highway speeds, air rushes up through the holes, up through the a-pillars, and it seems as if you have a wind noise problem coming from the front corner of the windshield where it meets the window. Check under your car to see if the plugs are there. I believe there are a total of 6 -- 2 in the front and 4 in the back. You will want to focus on the 2 front ones. They are positioned just behind the front wheels, about one foot in from the side of the car. You can't miss them. They're about $2 to replace, which is a heck of a lot easier to swallow than several hundred or more. Let us know how it turns out.

e-man
E-man - there seems to be at least one hole that's not plugged! I sure hope that that's it. Where can I pick up one of these $2 plugs? Can they be found online?
Old 11-29-04, 09:28 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I got mine at the Lexus dealer. They had to order it from the warehouse, and it took about 3 days to come in. Just go back to the parts department and ask. They should be able to figure out the part number by by looking at a parts diagram. By the way, if I were you, I would get at least 2 and replace the one that you still have up front (I assume the missing one was up front). The plugs tend to dry out over time, especially in colder climates, and the one that's still there will probably fall out eventually. Good luck and let us know if it works.

e-man

Quick Reply: New lexus owner and windshield question