GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Squeezing more hp out of a gs430

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 12:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by daleer
How can you feel more power but not actually be faster - I'm not sure I understand?

Thanks for the site - I found a "dragon t/c torque convertor" for $799 and "trd japan gs lsd unit" for $899 - are these the good ones? and where would you go to get them installed. Just any decent autoshop or the lexus dealership?
Thanks again.
well these two mods they do't relaly give more powe to the car, so if you do dyno they numbers are almost the same. but they put you in power band more often, and the car revs faster. that helps a lot in acceleration

and no, you don't want the trd lsd unit, that's just lsd, it helps handling and launch but it doesn't make the car faster. you need the supra tt rear end full replacement, new one is like 1400. but install is only about 200 bucks. with this trd unit, you need at least 600 bucks for install
Old 11-29-04, 01:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by daleer
Thanks futuregs - your explanation on the power is very good. So where can I pick up the supra tt rear you refer to? - i didn't find it on the carson site. I'm still not sure where I'd go to get these two mods installed. Oh, one other thing - after the lsd and tc have been installed, does anything else need to be modified afterwards - like the computer or does it require the l-tuned ecu or something? Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for all the info.
like i said, talk to todd at tmengineering about it, he can get the unit for you

and nop, that's why i love these two mods and have them, no nee for any other change. jus tput it in, and punch
Old 11-29-04, 01:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by T.L.W.
has this happened to anyone else with LSD????

in think something happened to "MORRIS" but i dont remeber if this was it ......
imho, with the lsd, yes, coz' of the massive v8 power, if you go over the limit you will lose the rear. but it's already more predictable than that with the stock open diff. with the stock setup, when it lose, it lose all the way, coz' the rear will get no traction at all. but with the torsen, it will still try to correct and both wheel will still spin and try to grab
Old 11-29-04, 01:07 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
imho, with the lsd, yes, coz' of the massive v8 power, if you go over the limit you will lose the rear. but it's already more predictable than that with the stock open diff. with the stock setup, when it lose, it lose all the way, coz' the rear will get no traction at all. but with the torsen, it will still try to correct and both wheel will still spin and try to grab

Just to add, in an open diff, if you lose traction on a curve or turn, it is on one wheel, so your car will not slide out from under you as the other wheel is just planted on the ground doing nothing while the inside wheel spins. With this LSD, both wheels are spinning and there is nothing to prevent you from whipping it around and losing it. VSC will kick in eventually once it reads there is a difference in wheel rotation amongst the two wheels, however in those rare instances that Morris and myself experienced, if they are spinning the same, VSC will not know that something has gone wrong and your car may be sideways. My GS spun 40 degrees just powering out lightly from a corner before I got her straight. If your going slow VSC may help you. If your moving along pretty good then the laws of physics will rule and VSC will not be much help at that point.
LSD is fantastic for laying the power down from the light or around a corner. Even good for rain situations. Not good for situations once both wheels lose traction in a turn. Things get very exciting at that point and driving experience and religion come into play.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-29-04 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-29-04, 01:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

ah, very interesting explanation there lee. now i learn more about the traction and stuff. not like i wanna try that out myself
Old 11-29-04, 03:09 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Pearlpower. The open diff is actually "safer" than any of the LSD's as one tire always has traction [while the other happily spins away]. With an LSD, once one wheel loses traction power is shifted to the remaining wheel - if that second wheel loses traction [due to cornering, acceleration or both] its power slide city. I much prefer a power slide than having the VSC cut power.

In a previous LSD thread I described the differences between a 2 way LSD [Supra 3.76 and TRD] vs. a 1.5 way [ATS & Kaaz - can purchase as 1.5 or 2.0]. I won't get into it here [because I'm at work] but the shape of the gear teeth affect engagement/lock on acceleration/decelleration which in turn affects your vehicles handling. A 2 way has a more aggressive lock and is better for straight line.

I currently have an ATS Carbon 1.5 way clutch type LSD and will soon be swapping in the Supra 3.76.

Last edited by rominl; 11-29-04 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 03:22 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
I have to disagree from my experience the stock differential is way more predictable. If you start to break loose the car starts to slide in a controlled manner. The front stays in the front and the back stays in the back. With the LSD the rear almost always tries to snap around and trade places with the front.