GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 paint chips on hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 03:28 PM
LexFather

Default Re: GS400 paint chips on hood

Originally posted by mjanocko
My '00 black GS400 has numberous paint chips on the hood, are there any solutions besides repainting the entire hood? This seems to be a common problem with Lexus paint.
Its a common problem with most new water based paint. Funny I was just talking to a friend who owns his own paint shop in Jackson, MS and he was explaining new techniques to try and minimize this.

After 5 years of driving, with more cars and debris on the road then ever, more trucks, SUVs to kick up rocks, your hood will hurt. And with Lexus cars having sloped hoods, it increases the chance for paint to chip.
Old 11-30-04, 06:42 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When repainting the bumper or hood is it better to remove the parts and paint them or just have them on the car and paint it there?
Old 11-30-04, 07:45 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any ClearBar dealers or Expel or Venture tape here on the east coast? Also how noticeable is the kit on the car? Because the sides aren't done, can you tell that the kit is on because of a naural discoloraiton? Can the kit be waxed or whatever? Sorry so many questions, but i would love to have this kit on my car but not at the cost of a foul facelift. you know?

John
Old 11-30-04, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Re: GS400 paint chips on hood

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a common problem with most new water based paint. Funny I was just talking to a friend who owns his own paint shop in Jackson, MS and he was explaining new techniques to try and minimize this.

After 5 years of driving, with more cars and debris on the road then ever, more trucks, SUVs to kick up rocks, your hood will hurt. And with Lexus cars having sloped hoods, it increases the chance for paint to chip.
yup, very true. the new cars with water base paint due to the environmental laws, they are not as durable as the oil base paint. sux, but what can you do
Old 11-30-04, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by rgarjr
When repainting the bumper or hood is it better to remove the parts and paint them or just have them on the car and paint it there?
definitely remove them from the car for painting.
Old 11-30-04, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by JohnGS4
Are there any ClearBar dealers or Expel or Venture tape here on the east coast? Also how noticeable is the kit on the car? Because the sides aren't done, can you tell that the kit is on because of a naural discoloraiton? Can the kit be waxed or whatever? Sorry so many questions, but i would love to have this kit on my car but not at the cost of a foul facelift. you know?

John
if the stuff are installed well, it's very very unnotceiable. it's probalby the most noticeable on black cars, but still with good install it's very hard to see. the old 3m tape they had yellowing after couple of yrs, but i know they fixed the problem already and the venture tape i heard it's even better.

and yes, you can polish and wax the kit as much as you want, to make them smooth and shiny.

now installers in the east, i don't know. my friend is a professional installer in maryland, that's about it
Old 11-30-04, 10:31 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I'm only an hour and a half from maryland. If i decide to do this, put in a word for me? and let me get directions to his place?

John
Old 11-30-04, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I'm only an hour and a half from maryland. If i decide to do this, put in a word for me? and let me get directions to his place?

John
yeah sure, if you wanna do it and ready, just let me know. he's a veyr good friend of mine, i am sure i can get a good deal for you on both parts and install
Old 12-01-04, 11:10 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just thinking about this.... I owe a detail and a new paint job to my car and hood.

Henry, u did not have the whole hood cover right?
Old 12-01-04, 01:07 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
No he did not, or anyone for that matter. They don't have a sheet of film that big ... yet.
Old 12-01-04, 06:27 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
yeah sure, if you wanna do it and ready, just let me know. he's a veyr good friend of mine, i am sure i can get a good deal for you on both parts and install
Thanks man, i really appreciate it.

John
Old 12-01-04, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
I was just thinking about this.... I owe a detail and a new paint job to my car and hood.

nop, imho that's not really necessary and my taste. it's almost like why not just use the tape and cover up the whole car on all the panels? to me i only need protection on the most vulunable areas plus with a good installation, you can't really see it
Old 12-01-04, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thanks man, i really appreciate it.

John
no problem, just let me know
Old 01-13-05, 07:59 PM
firestorm
Driver School Candidate

Default Venture

I just had Sam and his boys install the Venture Tape Clear Bra on my Spectra Blue Micra IS300 today. So far so good, it is very hard to see in most lighting conditions.

Firestorm
Old 01-13-05, 08:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by firestorm
I just had Sam and his boys install the Venture Tape Clear Bra on my Spectra Blue Micra IS300 today. So far so good, it is very hard to see in most lighting conditions.

Firestorm
awesome, congrats on the install maybe you can show some pics to see how hard it is to show

Quick Reply: GS400 paint chips on hood