GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rim Brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-01, 04:10 PM
Mike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a good name brand of a 17inch chrome rim? I am looking to spend 175-275. Are Zenetti wheels any good?
How wide can I go on tires without rubbing?/ 1st Gen GS
I was looking at 225/50-17s. I dont want to small of a side wall.
Thanks
Mike
Old 05-05-01, 04:30 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

go with 235/45/17. U still have a good amout of sidewall.
Old 05-05-01, 11:51 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why are you going for 17's instead of 18's (or larger)? Just curious?

For $175-$275, I would do some RH Evolutions...

I know I'm going to draw a lot fire on this one but personally, I don't like Zenetti's because they're a knock-off brand and they do some other cheezy things...like making 1-piece rims that "simulate" the look of 3-piece rims...the rims might be well made (I haven't heard of any falling apart or anything), but the simple fact that they copy and fake other brands of rims leave a lot to be desired in my book...

Most rims in the $275 and down catagory are usually crap (like G-Racing/Katana and other crap) but there are quite a few good brands...like I said, I think something in the RH Evo line is probably your best bet (they make good quality rims with excellent quality control and they have either original or approved designs) but also look at 5zigen's, Moda's, Mille Miglia, OZ, Kosei, Borbet, etc...
Old 05-06-01, 01:04 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

another lecture of Manaray

hahah but hey, I'm behind you on it all the way man!
Old 05-06-01, 01:23 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray - glad to see you back from your trip! I have the same dilemna . Why go to 18" rims ? Is it just for looks or do they actually add to the handling .

I was going to go get dubs but they are just not practical.

So i'm looking at either 17 or 18 . My friends tell me to go to 19's but then i might as well get dubs . But i want to make my wheels lighter than stock. But the brands i'm looking at are Hre , Volk , and Fiske .

Is the ride of 18's alot harsher than 17's or just a little harsher?
Old 05-06-01, 12:51 PM
gs4power
Driver

Cool

Hi 1niceride,

If you want to upgrade to 18" and at the same time save a few pounds, your wheel options pretty much are (lightest first): Volk TE37, SSR GT1, SSR integral. If you keep the 17" size, you'd have much more options.

Something that's frequently overlooked is the weight of the tires (ultimately more important than wheel weight due to its higher moment of inertia). For light tires look no further than the Dunlop SP 9000 and the Toyo T1-S. Both tires in 235/40 18 would save you around 3 pounds over stock.

Good luck on your selection!
Old 05-07-01, 02:23 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

GlobeCLK:

1niceride: Nice selection on the rims! If you're really concerned with lightness, then I would go with what Miguel said...as for the ride, the ride on 18's isn't that bad so long as you get the right size tires...people tend to get too low of tires on 18's (usually to make the 18's look bigger by having less tire) and that's when you get a ****ty ride.

But I would look at 19's too unless you're REALLY concerned with ride comfort and pot holes...19's are more practical than 20's (I know it's only a 1", but it makes a difference!) and they don't look "small" (like 17's and 18's)...

I'd LOVE to see some Fikse Aro's on your GS!

Italy was a blast...my second time there...love the history, the sights, the Ducati's, and the women (not necessarily in that order)...I'm going to Bora Bora (Tahiti) as soon as it cools down for a week of relaxation to recover from Italy (very hectic trip!)...and some Scuba diving (getting certified this month)

Miguel: Good point about the weight of the tires...man, you're REALLY concerned with lightweight wheels/tires, eh?

Last edited by Manaray; 05-07-01 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-07-01, 06:29 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Wheels

Mike,

I'll just add to the rest of the comments by saying you also need to consider the roads you'll be doing most of your driving on. Every once in a while I'll venture down to Manhattan with my GS and the West Side Highway BLOWS!!. There are potholes (craters) that would swallow up a Miata and come back for dessert. I stuck with 17" for that reason as well as tire price. Once you start getting into the 18"+ wheel size tire prices start to climb exponentially.

I have a friend with 19" Lowenharts and he's bent 2 rims already in less than a year.

Hey manaray - where in Italy were you? I was there about 2 weeks ago myself.
Old 05-07-01, 11:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Johnny: If I drove roads like that on a regular basis, I think I would go with 13" rims and some FAT offroad tires...

As for Italy, I was all over the place...I started in Milan, then went to (in order) Florence, Pisa, Rome, Napels, Capri, Venice, then back to Milan to fly back home...

What is the deal with the "consipracy" sandwiches everywhere? The same damn single slice of meat and cheese on a huge bun deal? No matter what city you were in, no matter which "break bar" you went to, they always have the same looking, same smelling, same tasting sandwiches!

And how about a McDonald's on every corner? Like every 10 feet. It's a McConsipracy! What's with the McPink? I didn't even want to try it! Did you like the "Menu Turistico" (aka: Rip-off Tourist Menu)? Hehehehe

What cities did you visit? Was it your first time there?
Old 05-07-01, 02:43 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default To manaray

I know what you mean about the cars/roads I was laughing my a$$ off every time I saw one of those SMART cars.

Anyway I was on a cruise and didn't spend anytime driving myself - all tour bus activity. Anyway started out in Civitavecchia (which is the port city of Rome) hung out there for a day, went into Rome/Vatican City. Later moved up the coast to Livorno (port city of Florence) and visitied a small town San Gimignano and then to Tuscany for a tour of a winery (Castello di Verrazzano) awesome place, awesome food and awesome wine.

We made our way up to Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo, and then finished up in Barcelona. It was amazing! I had been to Rome and Florence before, but it was definitely cool to drive on the streets of Monaco where the Grand Prix is going to be run in a few weeks.

Old 05-08-01, 12:03 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Guys what Rims are these got the picture from the Gallery seems fairly new.
https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/cl...1.JPG&img=&tt=
Old 05-08-01, 01:17 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

BBD,

those rims are TOYOTA TEAM EUROPE(like TRD USA), TTE rims. the blk aristo is either a japanese or british version because the steering wheel is one the other side. lookks MEAN though

imo, TTE has great mods for the lex. but their wheels designs are a little too plain. for the money, there are so many other rims one can consider.
Old 05-08-01, 02:27 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

nice they are quite attractive to the eyes,, something different I should say but I will check em out see if they fit my budget thanks for the Info
Old 05-08-01, 02:33 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

Has anyone heard of this Brand before????
Lecs RCK??? It's a japanese wheel, but I don't know how good the quality is?

Old 05-08-01, 03:04 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Smile To Each His Own!

1Nice - The ride also depends on the tire as well as the wheel diameter. For example, I had 17" Enkeis with XGT's & that combo rode rougher than my 18" Zenetti ( Oh No!!:eek: )/Nitto combo. The Nitto's have a softer sidewall than the Michelins & thus add some compliance to road deflection. I think there are too many variables involved in choosing wheels/tires, most of which have been listed above ( road conditions, driving style, budget, etc ) for one person to tell another what he SHOULD run - these are just suggestions & real world experiences from all our members.
Manaray - I take no offense to U putting down Zenettis nor the other members that slam Nittos. However, they are the perfect wheel/tire combo for ME as I am putting form over function with those choices. If cost was no object, I'd be running the HRE 547's with Pilot Sports ( 8" front & 10" rear ) that Mo offered me a killer deal on ( $4200 to my door ). For me, the $2k I saved with the Vegas/Nittos allowed me to run larger amps & better wires than I could normally afford &, as most of ya know, audio is my thing followed by performance & then handling. Should the NASDAQ come back up & I get the Stage 3 S/C, maybe then I'll NEED to upgrade to the HRE's to handle the power - man, I hope so!!!!

Quick Reply: Rim Brands