GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

need advise on rims for 2000 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 04:28 PM
sanai79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise on rims for 2000 GS400

Hi. This is my first post on this site. I actually don't have a GS, but my GF does. It's a 2000 GS400. She has decided recently that she needs big wheels on her car because she sees way too many GS300 around in LA with the same stock rims as her GS400. She's willing to spend 3000-4000 on rims /w tires. I've been showing her pictures of different GS on this message board and the ONLY one she likes/loves is the HRE 841R, which looks like it'll cost her 6000+. I don't know too much about modding cars. So this is her criteria:

1. 19 inches (18 inches at atleast)
2. Must look similar to HRE 840R (don't know how to describe it, but slim spokes and no bolts around the wheels.)
3. Must be within 3000-4000 with tires

Any suggestions? Also, would the car need to be lowered if 19 inches is used? What about 18s? Also, how much do body kits cost part/labor/paint (it's pearl white)? Any suggestion on a place where I can get all this done in the Irvine area? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-04, 04:43 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

There are many wheel companies that has the HRE 840 design. There was a group buy on Iforged a few weeks ago, although it ended, I'm sure you can still get a decent deal on it (vendor info is in that thread):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=133691

19s will require the car to be droped or else it will look high.

As for bodykits...there is a boat load ...too many to list, I suggest you also visit another vendor's site:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/

You can get an idea of cost there.

Below is link to the GS body kit gallery:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...=578&password=

As far as cost of paint/labor, that will depend on whether you just buy an add-on lip kit or a full replacement bumper kit. Quality of the job will also be a price factor. Sorry, but I don't know any place in Irvine, but if you want a place up in San Gabriel Valley, just PM me for contact information. The place did a great job on my front bumper.

But to give a rough estimate, I would say you're looking at an average between $800-$1500 for installation & paint.

I also have a 2000 Pearl White GS.

HOpe this helps some, I am sure others will give you more info on top of this. Good luck.

Last edited by r00kie; 11-29-04 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 06:46 PM
FRENCHIE
Driver

18, 19, or 20's your gonna want to drop it even an inch!!!! and btw....go with 20's you wont regret it!!!
Old 11-29-04, 07:13 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

If your looking for 841's and don't want to spend all the money
Check out the Iforged equips
seen below:
hres:
I forged:
*this was a cut and paste, i was thinking of getting these but decided with a different style

You should be able to get wheels and tires for about 4200 or less (estemate)

Email Derrick :
Derrick@d2autosport.com

He will be able to help you out the best www.d2autosport.com

J
Old 11-29-04, 07:22 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

also
here is a picture of ( SoCalSC4 ) 's car. hope he doesn't mind

J
Old 11-29-04, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you said looks like the 840r. but does she want the rivets (bolts) around? if not, then maybe she can look at some of the 1 piece wheels, that's cheaper

also, try talk to d2 autosport about iforged wheels. they are cheaper. not sure if any of them look close enough to the 840 to you though
Old 11-29-04, 10:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

SoCalSC4 has HRE 841Rs which a are a little more open than the HRE 840Rs that I have.

Here are a couple pics of my GS with 19's. You definitely need a drop with these wheels.

IMO you aren't going to find these exact wheels at anywhere near that price point unless you luck upon a set used.

The Iforged Swift and Victory look a little like these, get in touch with D2 for those and other options. http://www.d2autosport.com/ or PM him here.

Also might want to check with a couple of our new vendors that carry a bunch of quality wheels http://www.carrozzeriadesign.com/ and http://www.canautoclub.com/product.php?type=1 . I'm not as familiar with all the brands they carry.
Old 11-29-04, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

dave your car is just sick..... there is zero imperfection on the car man.... and you have good picture ticket skills!
Old 11-30-04, 04:19 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I could certainly get her a set of 19" iFORGED and keep her within those budget constraints. This includes Hi-Polished, Silver, Black, and Gunmetal Finishes.

Feel free to email me to discuss further options

-Derrick
Old 11-30-04, 08:40 AM
sanai79
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help guys! The SoCalSC4 blue GS was what my GF saw when she decided she liked the HRE. If I have to lower her car, which looks like it'll be necessary, what would I need? Just springs and shocks? How much would everything be for the parts/labor? Any recommendation for a shop that can do this near the Irvine, CA?
Old 11-30-04, 09:05 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

here is a picture of ( SoCalSC4 ) 's car. hope he doesn't mind
No problem at all- happy to help out.

So, let me understand this- iForged is making an HRE 841R copy? Do these guys have ANY shame?
In fairness, I don't see it on their website (yet)...

Speaking of no shame, here's my shameless plug: my 20" HRE 841Rs will be up for sale as soon as my new Zone 3 wheels are ready, in 1-2 weeks (they are the first set ever made, just passed test after SEMA!)
However, even "used", you are looking at $5K for this set-up with tires...

With 18", 19", or 20" set-up, the GS needs to be lowered!!!
Old 11-30-04, 12:51 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
So, let me understand this- iForged is making an HRE 841R copy? Do these guys have ANY shame?
In fairness, I don't see it on their website (yet)...
Scroll down to the bottom of the page..................

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&pagenumber=10
Old 11-30-04, 02:52 PM
sanai79
Driver School Candidate

hmm.. the iforged equip DOES look a lot like the 841Rs. I really like the Classic. I'll ask my GF which one she likes tonight.... can someone explain to me the process of lowering the car? I vaguely remember it as having the springs and shocks replaced... no? what's the usual cost for parts and labor? And again, if anybody is from So.Cal, can they point me to the right shop where I can get this done (install wheels and getting it lowers)? Thanks!

Also, what does staggered mean?

Sorry for asking so many stupid questions... hmmm.. maybe i'll get into this and start upgrading my BMW 330.. hehe... or exchange it for the new GS...
Old 11-30-04, 02:58 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Staggered means running larger width tires/rims in the rears.

For example, I am running 19x8.5 in the front and 19x10 in the rears.
Old 11-30-04, 03:00 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by sanai79
hmm.. the iforged equip DOES look a lot like the 841Rs. I really like the Classic. I'll ask my GF which one she likes tonight.... can someone explain to me the process of lowering the car? I vaguely remember it as having the springs and shocks replaced... no? what's the usual cost for parts and labor? And again, if anybody is from So.Cal, can they point me to the right shop where I can get this done (install wheels and getting it lowers)? Thanks!

Also, what does staggered mean?

Sorry for asking so many stupid questions... hmmm.. maybe i'll get into this and start upgrading my BMW 330.. hehe... or exchange it for the new GS...
Staggered is having a larger wheel width in the rear. example 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 in the back. Staggered set ups are only done on Rear Wheel drive cars.Lowering, you can get lowering springs and shocks but your best bet is coilovers. If you go to the suspension and handling forum under the gs. You will see loads of comparison threads and alot of info on both set ups (coils vs springs)

Good luck
and if you try the southern cali forum

and for future reference the search option can be your best friend

J

Quick Reply: need advise on rims for 2000 GS400