GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Range of Keyless Entry??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 01:38 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by ntran18
I think the receiver in the GS is weaker or there are obstructions. The IS uses the same key on the same frequency and get much further ranges. You could actually program an IS key to open the GS doors and vice versa(for those with multiple cars).
Originally posted by TRD-bB
Yes, I believe the IS has the longest range.
I can easily unlock/lock the IS from 50 yards away, without any chin or metal touching trick.
I hope someone figures this out. This is the big reason (there were some minor ones) that drove me towards an aftermarket remote start vs the LMW one.
Old 11-30-04, 05:58 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up range

Man I feel lucky. I can get mine too work thru glass at 75-80 feet away.

I've never tested the max range but I'll bet it would go 100 feet.

3dog
Old 11-30-04, 06:40 PM
Neo
The One

Default Re: range

Originally posted by 3dog
Man I feel lucky. I can get mine too work thru glass at 75-80 feet away.

Man, we need to find out how your car is set up.
Old 11-30-04, 06:41 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone want to unlock their doors at 80 ft away, as long as you are just near your car to get in that's a good range.
Old 11-30-04, 06:52 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by rgarjr
Why would anyone want to unlock their doors at 80 ft away, as long as you are just near your car to get in that's a good range.
If I have a lot of things to gather, I sometimes am not sure if I locked the door or not. I do it so much out of habit that while thinking about other things I can't remember if I locked the car or not. I usually remember as I am walking away. I hate having to walk back towards the car to check (by relocking the car). I don't think anyone will take advantage of the 80ft every time, it is just nice to be able to when you want it.

I am sure people with GS4s don't exercise the 300HP everyday but it is nice to have when it is needed.
Old 11-30-04, 07:07 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Neo

I am sure people with GS4s don't exercise the 300HP everyday but it is nice to have when it is needed.
I didn't know that qualified as exercise That's my new favorite "exercise" then.

BTW-my range is prob about 40-50ft

Last edited by chuckb; 11-30-04 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 07:35 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without touching anything metal, not to say that it doesn't work, but if the key is aimed high enough, i can usually get around 20-30 ft. range. I don't get bad range, definately not 8-10 ft. That's damn near pointless. Except for saving door scratches.

John
Old 11-30-04, 08:35 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So I told my BMW friend about the 'hold it to metal' idea...

My friend tested the idea of holding the key tip to the watch idea...

We literally were 20 cars widths away and he was able to beep his car.

It's not the fact that I have to unlock my car from 120 feet... it's more like- I want to lock it from a distance and I want to be able to press the button and locate my car. In Phoenix, SUVs and trucks are so popular that it's difficult to find the car sometimes since it could be hiding behind an expedition or something.

I wonder what the guys/gals over in Japan are doing to fix this problem. I'm sure someone went diy crazy and modded something already to fix the issue.
Old 11-30-04, 09:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah, this is one problem i can't figure out why... on my gs4, the range hasn't been great since day one, with or without new batteries, with or without tint. i have no clue, and seems like a lot of people have that problem too

on the other hand, on my is3 and some other lexus, the range hs been great and i can remote control the car from far away.

can't figure out why, but i hope there is a fix soon
Old 12-01-04, 08:52 PM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Off subject but when I'm bored in school and hang outside the parking lot stairs, I set my viper alarm off when people walk by, it's great really(atleast when you're bored). Then again i get a distance of around a thousand feet with it(560vx).

Does this help?
Old 12-03-04, 11:40 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i will take the plunge.. this winter break from school i will remove the cpillar and figure out how to extend the range... BUT i need to know how to remove the actual pillar someone have a diagram on how to remove it? i will start working on ir after my finals are over soo the earliest dec. 11th... someone provide me the diagram and i will do the research.
Old 12-03-04, 11:48 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I know this is not the stock remote, but my viper 2way pager 791 has the range of at least 200 yards. I tested it out at night walking to my car as I left school and it worked.
Old 12-03-04, 01:25 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by joshoowa
i will take the plunge.. this winter break from school i will remove the cpillar and figure out how to extend the range... BUT i need to know how to remove the actual pillar someone have a diagram on how to remove it? i will start working on ir after my finals are over soo the earliest dec. 11th... someone provide me the diagram and i will do the research.
Looks like you will beat me to this. This should help you. Check Banana GS webpage for directions to remove the sub. You will only need to remove the rear seats to get to the pillar panel. Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
loca.pdf (60.9 KB, 234 views)
Old 12-03-04, 01:40 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ntran18
Looks like you will beat me to this. This should help you. Check Banana GS webpage for directions to remove the sub. You will only need to remove the rear seats to get to the pillar panel. Good Luck.
excellent... love this site everyone is quick with supplying information, ntran if you want to maybe we can send each other PMs on ideas how to extend the range.
Old 12-03-04, 01:53 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

If I remember correctly, in the owner's manual, it says the range is about 3-4 meters (12 feet or so maximum). So this is clearly by design, and not a problem with the remote.

Quick Reply: Range of Keyless Entry??