GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Accident photos - Advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-04, 03:31 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didi anyone mention that you need to get your butt to a doctor and get checked out like, NOW!!!???

Seriously, if you end up having any long-term damage /pain in your back you would have no recourse if you don't get medical documentation ASAP. Go to your family doc or hit the ER waiting room ASAP!
Old 12-02-04, 05:21 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I did go see a doctor yesterday. Got a few prescriptions for the neck/back pain. Going back to him Tuesday. I got a call from the guy at fault's insurance today. They're working on claim but with 6 cars involved, there are alot of stories to gather.
Old 12-02-04, 07:16 PM
Canyonero
Driver

yea make sure you get fully checked out by a real doctor. have him check you for any brain damages.

good luck with the repairs.
Old 12-02-04, 07:36 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Brain damage?? I think that's a pre-existing condition
Old 12-02-04, 07:46 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i were you i would of called a lawyer right away. some lawyers have chiro's that dont need a doctors check up. also if you have a good laywer, theyll take care of everything. all you have to do is go to the chiropractor and leave yer car at the shop and they'll hook you up with a rental. if you dont have a second car or something. plus you get money at the end and a repaired car and back. just sit back and let the lawyer do his job. i know this from experience (happened to me 2 times).

they say that to fix a frame its $1000 an inch. clearly thats frame damage
Old 12-03-04, 05:59 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice. Definitely something I will think about.
Old 12-03-04, 07:09 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

that car has definate frame damage. as is evidenced by the doors not liningup. it doesnt take much in an off center collision to bend a frame. it seems, since both imact sites were on the left side of the car, that the frame may have buckled on this side and stretched on the other. there is not much that can be done about this. you can either drive it like it is if it doesnt get totalled, or spend some major $$$ to have it repaired, and it will never work the same again.

what suxs is, its such a pretty car. did it drive ok on the way home? bent Unibodies create problems with everything from suspension to driveline components.

these cars really dont have "frames" per se, they are unibodies if i am not mistaken. and the only way to fix them is to pull them straigth again. but it wil be weaker than it was.

BTW, from my eyes it seems as if you have about 1/2-2 inches of frame buckle. but the only way to measure this is to measure the acutal lengtt of the car with a laser, like a good body shop can.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-03-04 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-03-04, 07:14 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I had it towed home just to be safe. I think there may be a light on somewhere or something because the battery seems to have drained itself dead. Maybe because the trunk isn't closing all the way??? I'm gonna have the body shop come pick it up and tow it to their place. Then we'll see what they say. Won't cost me anything because one of the 6 guys involved in collision is to blame and his insurance company has already contacted me. Yea, of course I just had it fully detailed and some paint chips repaired less than 2 weeks ago
Old 12-03-04, 07:18 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

good to hear it was towed. you dont want to drive it much.

it may very well not be repairable, though i cant imagine this is the case. sometimes corner hits liek that can render the entire frame usless, in which case it is physically impossible to repair. what year GS4?

they migth fix it...

according to this:

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...400&5;LE;G1&&&

its still worth around $25-28K.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-03-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-04-04, 01:43 AM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

The car is a '98 with just over 149,000 miles. So in a way, it wouldn't totally devastate me if it was totaled. Although I have put alot into it in the last 2 years. Just as long as I got at least what was owed on it (around $15,000).
Old 12-04-04, 05:22 AM
johnnyo808
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure where you stand on this, but with 6 cars involved, the insurance company will likely take a while. So, don't wait for them. You should make the claim through your own insurance company. You might want to check to see how, if at all, it will effect your rates. This will get you your $$$ much faster. Obviously you will be less your deductible, but you will get that back once your insurance company settles up with the other company. I could be wrong, as I often am with each passing day, but I don't think this will count against you if your company recovers the $$ from the other company. And you can bet that your insurance company will have much better luck dealing with the other person's insurance company than you will on your own!

I speak from experience on this, as I had a fender bender a few years back. I waited on the other person's insurance company for settlement. The person was out of state, which may have been part of the problem, but I went 6 months without any $$! Finally I had to call the my state insurance agency (not sure what the official office was) to get my settlement. More recently, I had someone pull in front of me and wrecked my car. This time, I made the claim through my own company and had a check, less my deductible, in 2 weeks. I received a check for the deductible later, but I don't remember how long that took.

Good luck with everything.
Old 12-04-04, 09:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Who's your insurance carrier? I agree with the above, file the claim w/your own carrier asap. If you have to claim against another insurance party (the worst big company ins. carriers to deal with) Mercury & 21st Century, they can take forever to assess liability and get your car repaired if they are responsible. If you were hit by someone with USAA, Geico, State Farm, you shouldn't be concerned.

I'm a claims adjuster by profession btw. If you have a good insurance carrier that waives deductibles, you're definitely in good hands. My company waives deductibles right away if you have at least one of the 3 pieces of info: Drivers License, License plate or insurance policy number, and if the accident was clearly not your fault, we automatically waive it for you. If you were to hit or get hit by a cross insured (same company), we waive deductibles for both parties automatically. Not all insurance companies do this and it all depends by state. Our company is tied with State Farm w/JD Power Associates in the rankings for claims satisfaction. This is based on a nationwide study and we only insure vehicles in Southern California. That tells you alot for a company that insures so many cars in such a concentrated, diverse geographic location.
Old 12-04-04, 03:37 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Reply for last 2 responses: I would pay my deductible and just get on with it but it's $1,000. That wouldn't be so bad but I'm going to Vegas on Thursday and I had that $ set aside for that. If I get back from Vegas and I don't see satisfactory progress, I will just pony up the $1,000. The guy at fault's insurance has already contacted all of the other parties so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before things get rolling.

BTW - I am insured with PEMCO. The guy at fault is with Allstate so at least we aren't dealing with a bunch of local, no-name companies. I just switched to PEMCO about a year ago so this is the first time I've had a claim with them. So far they have treated me quite well and have been easy to get ahold of and talk to.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.
Old 12-04-04, 05:24 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...400&7;LE;G1&&&

looks like you are little upside down, so if they total it, you may have to eat a few hundred...

according to the value, its worth just under 15,000.
Old 12-04-04, 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Sorry about your accident. From my amateur eyes your car looks totalled (won't be worth the cost of repairs).

Quick Reply: Accident photos - Advice sought