GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Accident photos - Advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-04, 08:45 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty much on the fence on this one. I really love the car (just added K&N intake system and Greddy Evo exhaust, and put on some 18's) but I also like the idea of being able to shop for a new car. And if my memory serves correct, doesn't Lexus have some new model coming out in a few months.........
Old 12-04-04, 09:01 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ArmyofOne
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...400&7;LE;G1&&&

looks like you are little upside down, so if they total it, you may have to eat a few hundred...

according to the value, its worth just under 15,000.
usually insurance and banks price your car with the highest you can get from kbb. i know from experience through loans from getting a loan from the bank and being in an accident the begining of the year . i filled in all the blanks and it came up to 17,950. so expect that price from the insurance company. i used a washington zip code on kbb also.

Last edited by antbo; 12-04-04 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-04-04, 09:27 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

i hope u dont rely on the car too much to get to work, because it will take a while to fix.it will take at least 1 week for the agent to come out to appraise it, and after ur shop take it apart, chances are you going to have to wait for the agent, to come back for another estimate of the damage that wasnt seen behind body panels. like suspension and frame related damage, then you have to wait for the parts to arrive and get painted and installed, chances are the car is gone for at least a month. at least its winter time, you should think about changeing the color since the whole car is going to get repainted, you dont want to try blend it, it wont look rite ever,
Old 12-05-04, 02:28 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

if they repaint the same color (which is very atractive BTW) they dont have to rip out the interior and paint in there along with the engine compartment and trunk. full car repaints w/ color change cost about $1500 more than the $2500 or so it would take JUST to paint this one.

he has easily $5,000 worth of damage BEFORE paint.

and they can match it perfectly. most body shops now have a laser system which measures the properties of the color, then they take that to the place that makes the paint, and have paint made to match those exact specificaions.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-05-04 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-11-04, 10:02 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

BUMP***

Any update?
Old 12-12-04, 02:11 AM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey all, I was in Vegas for a few days for a much needed break. I just got back and got an estimate along with a check in the mail. I'm not going to cash it because this seems a little shady to me. Sometime Sunday afternoon I'll try and scan the estimate and post it on here. But the TOTAL is only $7,296.47. I'm hoping someone who knows more about this type of thing will take a look and see if they're trying to rip me off somewhere. Just seems like a low total after many people thought vehicle would be totalled or at the least much more $ to repair. It looks like alot of parts are quoted as being "refinished" and not "replaced". Or maybe the "refinishing" is the painting? I don't really understand the whole 5 pages which is why I will post it after I get some sleep. But one thing that sticks out is they only have 4.5 hours total under "unibody realignment." I thought this would be the most expensive part????
Old 12-12-04, 11:48 AM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

OK, here is the estimate. I would appreciate some opinions on this ASAP as I have to go see the guy at the bodyshop tomorrow.

Old 12-13-04, 12:05 AM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

BUMP - Hoping to get some opinions in the next 8 hours before I go talk to this guy. About the only thing I do know is that I'll have him order the '01 taillights
Old 12-13-04, 01:14 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Nobody?? Gotta go there in about 2 hours
Old 12-13-04, 01:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Estimate looks legit. What kind of guarantee does the bodyshop put on your repairs? And how about Allstate's since it looks like you're claiming through them?
Old 12-13-04, 01:33 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure about the bodyshop's guarantee. They've been in business over 30 years and are one of the most respected places in town. Allstate guarantees the parts as long as I own the car.
Old 12-13-04, 01:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally posted by ivesGS400
Hey all, I was in Vegas for a few days for a much needed break. I just got back and got an estimate along with a check in the mail. I'm not going to cash it because this seems a little shady to me. Sometime Sunday afternoon I'll try and scan the estimate and post it on here. But the TOTAL is only $7,296.47. I'm hoping someone who knows more about this type of thing will take a look and see if they're trying to rip me off somewhere. Just seems like a low total after many people thought vehicle would be totalled or at the least much more $ to repair. It looks like alot of parts are quoted as being "refinished" and not "replaced". Or maybe the "refinishing" is the painting? I don't really understand the whole 5 pages which is why I will post it after I get some sleep. But one thing that sticks out is they only have 4.5 hours total under "unibody realignment." I thought this would be the most expensive part????
BTW, once you cash that check, the insurance company finalizes their claim as you have accepted their settlement offer. You did the right thing by not cashing it because if anything else comes up, you can still talk to their carrier. Refinishing means they will sand it down, repair then repaint. That looks like a prelim estimate. The final estimate will have a higher total when things are all finished.
Old 12-13-04, 05:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Hey man, that is an AWESOME deal, there is easily 10K worth of damage to that car. theres alot of time involved in that. it seems as if i was right, about half the car has to be replaced. and the frame straighened. it definately ahs to be mostly taken apart to straighen the frame.

good estimate, but go get a couple more. dont ever take the first check!
Old 12-15-04, 11:24 PM
steevo
Rookie

hi there, i'm an appraiser (been doing it for about 2 years)and by looking at the pics and the estimate, it looks about right. i cut checks all the time, just because they sent you a check doesn't mean its finalized, you still have options.. once you have the check take your vehicle and estimate to your body shop.then body shop will do a teardown of the vehicle,go over estimate to make sure they include everything in estimate. if there are things left out of the estimate because the appraiser didnt see the damage the bodyshop will call appraiser to have them come out and do a supplement. i go out to bodyshops all the time because when i write an estimate at someones house i dont have the tools to teardown the car and make sure that there is nothing hidden behind the damage. appraisers write supplements all the time,so dont worry if the check was not enough,bodyshop and insurance company will work it out. any more questions on this matter,let me know i do estimates everyday and can help anyone out.
Old 12-15-04, 11:56 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Steevo. I talked to the owner of the bodyshop the other day and he said the same thing. They just ordered parts and expect to have the car around 3 weeks. He said he'll handle any supplemental issues that come up with the insurance company.

Quick Reply: Accident photos - Advice sought