GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help...car leaning to one side!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01, 12:47 PM
RonM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I just noticed today that my car is leaning to the left rear side. I got my Eibachs and Bilsteins installed a year ago and now it's leaning. Does anyone know why this may be? The right rear now has a larger gap than the left rear.

Is it safe to drive the car all week. I won't have the time to bring it in until next weekend.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
DMPesso (09-30-22)
Old 05-06-01, 06:16 PM
tim330i

Default More information please

Did this start happening now, or did you just notice it? Have you been doing any super aggresive driving? I do not know the GS suspension very well, do the bilsteins for the GS have ajustable perches? I know that for some cars (see link) the perches are ajustable and maybe the metal ring that locks into the shock body broke? That is a total guess, so see what other people think, but if it just started happening it is possible.

http://www.performanceix.com/reviews..._bilstein1.jpg

Tim
Old 05-06-01, 07:41 PM
RonM
Driver School Candidate

I just noticed it this afternoon after I parked the car. I notice everything on the car and know it wasn't like that yesterday.

I'm not sure about the Bilteins either, but I plan to have both the shocks and springs checked.

Hopefully it's not anything serious. From what I can tell, the car rides the same though.
Old 05-07-01, 03:12 PM
RonM
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

OK. I just got back from a local shop here to see if they can look into why the car was leaning. He did some measurements and found out that the car was leaning a half inch to the left rear.

Said that he'd have to charge $200 just to check what the problem was, and then extra to fix it (if he could figure it out). He mentioned that it MIGHT be a bushing on the shocks, but wasn't sure if he could fix it.

At the end of it all, he said that I should leave it alone because it was only cosmetic and wasn't sure if it could be fixed!! What should I do?!?! ANyone here of this problem?
Old 05-07-01, 08:12 PM
salimshah

Received 1,097 Likes on 987 Posts

Also check the diagonally opposite end, that might be higher.

Salim
Old 05-08-01, 05:24 AM
RonM
Driver School Candidate

salimshah,

yeah, checked the diagonal opposite side and it sits .25 inches higher. weird. anyway, i noticed you're in austin. what part? i used to live there a few years ago. longhorn?
Old 05-08-01, 07:11 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RonM...

that mechanic sounds like he wants to get a lot of money from you... OF COURSE there is a way to find out what's wrong with the suspension... and that is not just COSMETIC!!! if your car is driving like that, your alignment will be affected! then tire wear will be affected...

advice?.. do you have an experienced mechanic friend hiding around anywhere? someone trusted?

There could be a lot of things going on with your suspension. Could be something wrong with the springs... Do you constantly park where one side of the car sits higher than the other? Unlevel ground? silly question... but is there something heavy in the trunk? Has there been any noticeable change in driving feel like bouncing around a lot? Funny noises? whatever it is, have it checked... AND dont get ripped off!!! 200 dollars to find out whats wrong? uh.. no... well.. unless that is your only option... if ya got the money, you'll be making a mechanic really happy for a relatively +/- simple problem...
Old 05-08-01, 07:14 AM
tim330i

Default i agree

RonM is right, sounds like BS to me. Have someone who you can trust check it out.

Tim
Old 05-08-01, 07:23 AM
JacobT

Default Ron...

Bilstein shocks use an aluminum collar at the bottom of the shock body to hold the springs. I would check to see if the collar's broken or did not sit in the proper location. These things would affect your ride height. Good luck on your suspension.
Old 05-08-01, 07:37 AM
RonM
Driver School Candidate

Smile

babyGS3 - i always park on level ground and i did check the trunk thinking i had something in there...and nothing. funny thing is that it rides perfectly fine. no noises, no bouncing, nothing?!? i'm glad to know that i'm not the only one who thinks paying $200 to look at it is a rip-off while he even said that he probably couldn't fix it.

JacobT - thanks for the recommendation. i'll mention it to a trusted mechanic so they can look at it.