GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Nitrous Oxide System.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01 | 02:15 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

I own a GS400 1999.. I dont like the idea of a superchargers + its $$$,, I Love turbo charges but no one does them for the GS400... I am now thinking about NOS for my car.. I went to a few sites I know the general Idea of how they work and eitehr use a button or attach it to your throttle... I only read about the goody goodies about NOS, but i know its bad I want to know what good/bads their are the danger of having it useing it and how long I can use it for without hurting my engine.

if someone has a site that tells you the goods and bads I would really like to read about it and get to know more before making a decision thank you.
Old 05-06-01 | 04:15 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Good Luck!

BBD - Try www.nitrousexpress.com. They have the only kit ( part #20913 & adjustable from 50 to 150 HP ) that I'm aware of for the GS4. I've been hounding Venom to hurry up with their computer controlled kit but they don't seem to be in any hurry! A few members have used the NX kit on other Lexus rydes with some success & they seem to be the only nitrous game in town for now. Word of caution - the factory fuel system will only support 400 flywheel horsepower so be careful with the jetting!:eek:
Old 05-06-01 | 06:15 PM
BBD

nice site thank you,,, I know there are different ways to installing NOS ,, using Direct port which is spraying the NO in each cylinder its more power and harder to install. I rather like the easy way install it to the EFI and it sparys the NO to all smaller dosage ,, but still I need to know what are the drawbacks to it.. everything has good and bad ,, just asking whats bad about NOS

gimmi a Steroid shot
Old 05-06-01 | 06:20 PM
BBD

yes that stage one from www.nitrousexpress.com. sounds Perfect for my needs 50-100hp is just right I dont wanna over do it,, still want my car for everyday use, hmm if I do install it you are suggesting to me to install a heavy duty Flywheel,, to support more hp,, any other adivce I have to warry about ? should I install as a buttom or threw the accelerator ?
Old 05-06-01 | 06:46 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Ever Run Squeeze?

B - Not trying to be an a** but would I be wrong in assuming that U've never run nitrous? That's OK because we all need to start somewhere & asking questions will be a good first step.
Nitrous advantages: Power only when U want/need it; kit can be easily removed when necessary ( warranty work & assuming U haven't done a custom plumbing job ).
Disadvantages: Must keep bottle filled & ready for use; need to increase fuel system maintenance ( more frequent filter changes & run ONLY good octane gas ); pressurized bottle can be a hazard ( potential bomb if rear-ended hard enough ).
That said, I've squeezed for many years & haven't lost an engine yet! U must keep the jet sizes down to whatever the engine limits U to - in this case, a bone stock GS4 would be OK with the 50 HP shot but not much more as U'll be flirting with a leanout condition caused by the fuel injector's limited fuel flow, IMO. Now if U rebuild the engine w/forged pistons/crank/rods & a custom fuel management system, then the sky's the limit ( well, rather the transmission would then be the weak link as it's only rated for around 450 HP w/o some work ). A flywheel would be the LAST thing I'd be concerned with. About the activation method - I've always used both an accelerator mounted switch to energize the system & then a push-button on the gear shift to actually open the solenoids & inject the squeeze. That way, if I missed a shift or redlined, I could simply remove my finger & no more nitrous! Also keep in mind that if U add an intake that makes more power ( like Swift Racing's ), then U need to consider the extra power that it gives ya when calculating the extra available fuel to use with NOS. I'm sure this is confusing but if U stick with conservative nitrous jetting on the NX kit ( 50 HP ), then it should be OK. BTW - I'm not on the gas right now as I've modded my GS so much that don't feel safe adding even 50 HP because I don't feel my fuel system can safely support that much - maybe 35 HP. But wait until Swift comes out with an ECU/injector package!!

Old 05-06-01 | 06:52 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I think that HKS should be releasing a supercharger for the 1UZ-FE......... their drag supra uses it, I've heard that it should make its way to the product listing.
Old 05-06-01 | 06:59 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default It's turbos I think

Globe, I think HKS has a turbo setup not a supercharger in that supra.

hey where did you go? your picture is gone from the signature.

Mind
Old 05-06-01 | 07:17 PM
BBD

Mean Gene
Woot thanks for the replay and yes I have never used NOS.. 1) because everyone I asked told me not too,, 2) they keep scaring me that my engine would blowout and run bad without it...

I am more into Turbos and Superchargers those I understand well and would feel comfy with it...... but yes NOS has taken my intrest I guess if I go on low pressure using teh foggers I will be ok ,, and 50hp is kinda nice with an Extra punch,, 75 or 100hp increase would be better, guess I have to call MO up and tell him thats what I want and get some parts that would make my engine love longer ,, thanks for your Advice
Old 05-06-01 | 07:32 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: It's turbos I think

Originally posted by mindflux
Globe, I think HKS has a turbo setup not a supercharger in that supra.

hey where did you go? your picture is gone from the signature.

Mind

yeah sorry for the wrong info i was talkin to GSinsentive about SCs and that's what went into my typing

haha I went hiding behind my car.:eek:
Old 05-07-01 | 08:20 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down Mo's Response

B - I can give ya Muhammad's response right now about nitrous - "NO!!" Seems he knows of 2 gentlemen in Florida who have ruined their motors using squeeze. Personally, I don't think it was a problem with the nitrous kit & neither does Mo. Rather, they had done other mods that were pushing the factory fuel system to the limit & then they added the gas - major leanout & melted pistons!!:eek: NOT a good thing! Let him hook ya up with one of his superchargers ( cost more than NOS but it's hard to buy piece of mind ) or just go naturally aspirated - I've managed to get almost 350 flywheel HP out of my GS with Swift parts. Or contact Python Injection ( Venom ) as they're developing ( yeah, right!! ) a totally computer-controlled nitrous kit that monitors the engine BEFORE it will inject the nitrous to make sure all safety parameters are met. Think I'll go call them now & hound them!! www.venom-performance.com
Old 05-07-01 | 10:24 AM
BBD

woot nice site.. can I bug em too .. well I stayed up like 5 hrs last night just readind articals about NOS, was really helpfil turns about to be Installation of the N2O on any vehicel if dont correctly, would be ok. but ant lean mixtures in the cyclinders or too low Air/fuel would have a detonation effect in the explosion chamber which does meltdowns to piston rings, piston and exhuast problems. so I have to look for a real pro with N2O instalation here in Kentucky, grrr which red neck garage do I look for now ,,,,,,
Old 05-07-01 | 01:10 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

actualy mean gene I was looking into Nitros myself and from what I found out if you wanna do it right and not ruin your engine it will cost aprox. $3.5k wich is $500 short of a supercharger so I decided not to go with the Nitrous and wait for the SC myself overall its a better buy
Old 05-07-01 | 01:38 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question How Much!!??

Biggie - Man, who's kit is running that much??:eek: The Nitrous Express kit goes for less than $500 for just a basic kit ( no bottle warmer, remote opener, or any other fun bells 'n whistles ). I'm with ya in that I'd rather have a full time supercharger - don't have to wonder if the NOS bottle's full or it taking up space in the trunk ( I already don't have enough there! ). Have a call into Venom to a tech named Greg that I've spoken with before - will keep everyone in the loop.
Old 05-07-01 | 02:20 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Default NOS

You might also want to drop a line to Todd (Double Whoosh) who I believe runs NOS in his SC400. There was a huge thread a while back between him and Swift Racing if I recall that truly got in to the pros and cons of running NOS.

Best of luck whichever route you choose...