GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are These Wood Trim Suppliers OK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 11:32 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats too much i wouldnt do it... now if they had an aluminum dash kit then i would seriously look into it... i remember seeing an aluminum kit on ebay once looked very cool
Old 12-03-04, 12:43 PM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Very appropriate thread for me. I have my GS400 '99 model for about a month now.

Previous owner of the car had the wood installed. I had mixed feelings, when I first saw it - more to say, I did not like it. But the car was clean and I liked everything about it, so the wood was just one slight negative.

Now that I have had it, I am coming back to my first impression, and agree with what people say on here, if I had it to do to my own new car, would definitely not do it.

Now on this '99, I'll just have to see what to do, maybe try taking some off and see how it goes. There is some slight clear checking that is occuring I guess by sunlight. And the insignia "Nakamichi" is sort of blocked, the cutout in the 'wood' isn't big enough.

So I wonder how bad it would be to take them off and get the adhesive off, I have some very high quality 3M adhesive remover, that may work.
Old 12-03-04, 03:50 PM
joeydingo
Rookie

Be VERY careful with that adhesive remover, it can do a number on the plastic parts of your dash. I would recommend using something like Goo Gone which is a less powerful/more work method to remove the adhesive, but less likely to discolor the plastic on your dash.

I have to agree with everyone else here, I almost bought a dash kit, but passed once I saw one in someone's car. They just don't seem high quality enough for a Lexus, as evidenced by people saying they have checking and peeling of the finish after a while.
Old 12-03-04, 05:25 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by gottahaveit2
...the insignia "Nakamichi" is sort of blocked.
I still have not seen a car in person with the added wood trim. But I've continued to do research on the internet for the fun of it. I found that a company called "Sherwood Dash, Inc." makes trim kits with factory symbols and labelling. They supposedly supply a lot of dealers with kits for dealer installation. Several online distributors are available, such as carxccessory.com. I've attached a picture showing their labelling versus a couple of competitors. The labels are printed UNDER the clear coat so they won't rub or wear off. I suppose if I ever decide to get aftermarket wood trim, I'll go with Sherwood.

Michael

Old 12-03-04, 08:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by MailManX
I still have not seen a car in person with the added wood trim. But I've continued to do research on the internet for the fun of it. I found that a company called "Sherwood Dash, Inc." makes trim kits with factory symbols and labelling. They supposedly supply a lot of dealers with kits for dealer installation. Several online distributors are available, such as carxccessory.com. I've attached a picture showing their labelling versus a couple of competitors. The labels are printed UNDER the clear coat so they won't rub or wear off. I suppose if I ever decide to get aftermarket wood trim, I'll go with Sherwood.

Michael

for all i care the one with the "cut-out" looks pretty stupid
Old 12-03-04, 08:09 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they all look stupid and REALLY CHEAP
Old 12-04-04, 12:09 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by chuckb
they all look stupid and REALLY CHEAP
Absolutely! A few well exceuted accents of wood looks far more elegant and classy than plastering the entire interior surface of the car with a stick-on version of wood.
Old 12-05-04, 07:29 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up wood trim

Originally posted by KayGee
Don't do it. I installed Exotic Wood Dash about 5 years ago when I first got my car. I liked it for about 6 months. The clear covering started to peal recently and I had to remove them which is a PITA big time.

Hey I know I'm different cause I kind of like the look.

KayGee I think yours is the best looking one I've seen.

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 12-05-04 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-05-04, 07:38 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: wood trim

Originally posted by 3dog
Hey I know I'm different cause I kind of like the look.

KayGee I think yours is the best looking one I've seen.

3dog
Have you ever seen them in person though, 3dog? When you see them in person it's very obvious they're just stickers.
Old 12-05-04, 07:58 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess to each his own

whether they look like stickers or wood

to me........ they brighten up the interior

plus i feel it really compliments the steering wheel

ive been in a stock GS and noticed the difference

heres mine haters LOL

Old 12-05-04, 08:43 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by T.L.W.
i guess to each his own

heres mine haters LOL

I love it, very cool

Hey Johnny let me know if you want to sell that steering wheel. I'd love to have it.

Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 12-05-04 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 01:01 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by T.L.W.
i guess to each his own

heres mine haters LOL

Well, at least the steering wheel looks cool, but I think you could do without the wood accents around the tiptronic buttons. That wheel is by American Stitches isn't it, Johnny? They appear to do great work. I plan on having mine done soon now that I have a loaner steering wheel to use while the job is done.
Old 12-06-04, 01:05 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 3dog
I love it, very cool

Hey Johnny let me know if you want to sell that steering wheel. I'd love to have it.

Ivan
3dog
Ivan, if I'm not mistaken, the wood/leather steering wheel upgrade is done by a company named American Stitches located in Texas. They do very fine work as you can see. For about $400 you can have your wheel refurbished with wood/leather to match your interior, just take the wheel off and ship it to them. Takes a couple of weeks is all.
Old 12-06-04, 01:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by DetMich1
Ivan, if I'm not mistaken, the wood/leather steering wheel upgrade is done by a company named American Stitches located in Texas. They do very fine work as you can see. For about $400 you can have your wheel refurbished with wood/leather to match your interior, just take the wheel off and ship it to them. Takes a couple of weeks is all.
yup that's right, around 400 to 500 bucks, very good work indeed.

the problem probably imho is the leather matching. as seen on the pic the leather doesn't relaly match that on the airbag very well. localled someone with grey interior and he had the same problem too. 1st try and it was way way off, they did it again but still not perfect
Old 12-06-04, 03:53 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Question Loaner steering wheel

Originally posted by DetMich1
Well, at least the steering wheel looks cool, but I think you could do without the wood accents around the tiptronic buttons. That wheel is by American Stitches isn't it, Johnny? They appear to do great work. I plan on having mine done soon now that I have a loaner steering wheel to use while the job is done.
So how do you get a loaner steering wheel?

3dog

Quick Reply: Are These Wood Trim Suppliers OK?