GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

22hp and 24ft/lb torque gain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01, 04:16 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was going through some old posts, and saw the mention of the swift High Flow Intake/ECU upgrade for the gs300. so i thought id check out their site.

to my surprise it says you get a 22hp and 24ft/lb torque gain.

this sounds real nice. but then i looked at the price and its almost priced at 1 grand. so some thinking must be done, and i hope to get advice from many of you knowledgable ones -=)

are those gains very accurate? what does this mean for my 0-60 time? I know lexus says the stock car does 0-60 in 7.8 seconds (although magazines and other sources say its a little faster). Around where will the new 0-60 time be?

I know with just the intake itself, ill be doing my car a favor, because it will get more air at higher rpms. but will the ecu put extra strain on my car? the ecu seems like a huge upside because itll fix the air.fuel ratio and get rid of the pinging, but i dont want extra strain on my car (ie:forcing too much).

is it easy to install the ecu? i know its easy to talk about all its good things..but what are its downfalls?

im the kinda driver that takes his car to the extreme daily, so the more pressure i could take off the car to make up for this hard driving, the better i feel.

compare this to just a plain rmm intake, without ecu. why dont i see many people with the swift intake system? is it just because of the high price tag?

thanks
Old 05-06-01, 06:50 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this really isn't the answer to your question but:

I would also like to know, the piggy-back ECU adjusts the air/fuel ratio, but will something like the RMM intake coupled with a Super AFC be able to do the same thing? Plus the AFC is adjustable whereas the ECU is not. It cannot be tuned any better once the car has other parts like exhaust, or intake/exhaust cams since there can be more optimal settings.
Old 05-06-01, 07:48 PM
RacingAristo

I'm second to Ray. I also would like to know the performance intake with APEXi's S AFC. My guess would be the S AFC may out-perform the SRT intake/ecu because each car is different and as Ray mentioned, some people have different setting and mod, therefore the ECU should be adjusted to his particular setting.

I will talk to APEXi's people next week once I finish my midterm and will post the feedback and etc.
Old 05-06-01, 11:24 PM
Jazziz
Driver

IMHO you can probaly make some other intake and ECU setup outperform the Swift system. But, after you find out the intricate details of your car's engine mapping, and have a dynometer at your disposal for free to make numerous Dyno runs to fine tune the system, I have some serious doubts about whether you can match the performance to price ratio of the SRT system. $650 for 22hp and 30ftlb at the rear wheels I consider a real bargain, that is if you got in on the last GS4 group buy.

I would much rather have someone else experimenting on their car getting it right, than me doing the same on mine. Some of those parts for the engine in your cars can get quite expensive if you make a miscalculation.

Just my .02
Old 05-07-01, 08:38 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

i agree with Jazziz. i feel that srt must have done a lot of testing to find the perfect settings on which everything works perfectly. but nobody answered my question about its bad sides...an added question would be, does anyone know on what parts of the warranty this might mess around with? and if it messes around with too much, cant i just take it off if anything related to that happens, and then take it to lexus? how easy is it to disconnect and connect the intake? the ecu? does anyone have this installed..if so please post, and tell us how you like it so far.

thanks
Old 05-07-01, 12:04 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how bout a super AFC with the SRT combo? (i know the most expensive, but is it the best)

my only concern would be that the AFC doesn't have enough range of tuning, (spark timing, fuel/air ratio etc.)

can you tune your car to be super rich AND super lean? and adjust the spark curve by 2 or 3 degrees? (i think thats a lot)

i remember hearing that it doens't offer a wide variation, if you know what i mean, like you can only change it a bit different from stock.
Old 05-07-01, 02:11 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
how bout a super AFC with the SRT combo? (i know the most expensive, but is it the best)

my only concern would be that the AFC doesn't have enough range of tuning, (spark timing, fuel/air ratio etc.)

I don't know about the S-AFC being able to control the piggyback ECU. Plus if the SRT piggyback is said to utilize the intake to the max, the AFC won't matter much. The problem is AFTER the mod. Adjusting air/fuel will be hard, if not impossible, with a piggyback ECU. If you take into consideration the other aspects of your car such as exhaust and ignition timing, the air/fuel ratio MAY need adjustment and that's where the AFC comes in handy, not a piggyback.

Spark timing? I think you adjust that with something like ITC- Ignition Timing Controller, not the AFC. So I would say get AFC and ITC together, but then you really can't gain much with stock engine components or just intake/exhaust. I'm sure V300 has alot to say about this N/A tuning subject matter. V300?

Old 05-07-01, 11:25 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

i dont understand why not that many people are posting about this topic. i thought this intake with ecu would be the next best thing to a s/c or turbo. basically takes you one fourth of the way. with it, the bmw 3 series and 5 series would be no competition (i think?). and from what ive heard the price tag is around 700 with a group buy. thats pretty good for a 22 hp increase. ok enough said..i guess i over did this topic.

nite

Old 05-07-01, 11:52 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

FierceGS:

do you have any pics of your cleared out rear lights? would like to see them please?
Old 05-08-01, 09:46 AM
mlevy

Default SRI HFI/ECU

Everything you've heard and read about the SRI HFI/ECU is correct. I have had it on my GS4 for almost 2 years and have never had a problem. If you go to their website and view the install pics, that is my car. Mo used it to prototype the unit. Installation is very simple. It takes more time to remove the OEM stuff than to install the intake. The performance improvement is impressive from the seat of the pants to the wonderful intake growl at WOT. No complaints here. Mo and Swift did their homework on the unit. It provides good power in the useable RPM band with 100% reliability. BTW, gas mileage has improved.
Old 05-08-01, 10:28 AM
Swift Racing
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Levy,
How have you been, please give me a call at your earliest, I need to talk to you

You can reach me at 301-384-7319 as always, later.
Old 05-08-01, 01:07 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

globeclk, unfortunately i dont have any pics of my car yet. Ill take the pics in about 2 weeks... ill be sure to post it when its ready.