GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Understated Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01, 08:00 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Anyone have this RM spoiler? It looks kinda cool to me ... less agressive than the standard spoiler. It says you put it on with 2 way adhesive. Anyone tried this? Will it cover up the holes left by the original factory spoiler? When you order, can you specify your vehicle color or do you have to have it painted to match?

Thank you, bretheren.
Attached Thumbnails Understated Spoiler-r_rear1.jpg  
Old 05-06-01, 08:04 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Default another view

side view
Attached Thumbnails Understated Spoiler-gs3piece.jpg  
Old 05-07-01, 11:37 AM
2k1GS3
Rookie

I like the look of a small lip spoiler, like the one on the M5. Does anyone have one? The smallest I've seen is the TTE, which to me is still slightly big. Am I weird? Where can I find one to my liking?
Old 05-07-01, 12:30 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Thumbs up Cool color

Never mind the spoiler - I want a car that color!!! Such a "ladylike" lavender........

C.
Old 05-07-01, 12:59 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all you lexuslady and make sure you make the emblems from that big diomand you got lol j/k
Old 05-07-01, 05:55 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Bobcat

hmm RM spoliers are nice yes ,,, you asked "When you order, can you specify your vehicle color or do you have to have it painted to match?"

Well if you order the spoilers RodMillen does not paint them for you,, thats something you have to do yourself or take it to a body shop... the reason is they dont want to send spoilers and the paint gets damaged on the way,,, well thats what Blair at Rodmillen told me....

but dont worry am sure a good paint shop would do a great job on them spoilers just have to see the kind of work they do before giving it away to be painted
Old 05-07-01, 05:57 PM
BBD

PS* that is the 3 peice Spoiler ,, I heard that it doesnt require drilling or something along those lines ,,, but it would fit GS300 , and GS400,, so only ask about the GS models ,, the GS430 has a different rear section I am not sure it would fit but you can ask.
Old 05-07-01, 11:22 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BBD - What do you mean the GS430 has a different rear section? It's exactly the same. The only thing that diff is the tail lights...

2k1GS3 - I'm with you...I like the small spoilers...unfortunately, my car came with the factory wing (supposidly, it's the only way you can get the Nav/ML "fully loaded" model...) Personally, I don't want holes in my trunk and I don't feel like getting all the work done to fill up the holes...oh well, I guess I have to live with it.
Old 05-07-01, 11:41 PM
BBD

manaray

well I talked to the Lexus dealer a few weeks ago they said the tail lights are different and the rear section of the car was different than the oldr models ,, (wether he was saying the truth or not I am not sure) ... however I have noticed in the GS430 models ,, the rear trunk has a curve,,, and the old models is kinda boxed ,,, I still have to put my GS400 beside a GS430 and see the difference in my own eyes
Old 05-08-01, 06:03 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Your dealer is getting creative (that's a nice way of saying he's full of *****).

The back end sheetmetal of the 430 is the same as the 400. From what I've read and seen and been told by my dealer the only difference is the tail lights.

Last edited by RealMarty; 05-08-01 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-08-01, 10:46 AM
Kichgai

I talked with RodMillen about a week ago on the usage of their parts on the GS430, the only two items they mentioned would NOT work were the Air Intake and the Sway Bars.

Old 05-08-01, 11:20 AM
BBD

Damn Lexus Dealers ,,, I dont think they want me to Install the new GS430 tail lights ,,, anyways yes your posts are VERY true I just ordred the 2001 tail lights from Steve at Carlson ,,, they said they fit directly takes about 10 mins installation thanks
Old 05-08-01, 12:47 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default to Manaray

I looked at my GS and I also have a factory wing. Mine is a 98 if that matters. As far as I see, there are no holes in the trunk. The wing is afixed to the bracket with bolts. But the bracket is placed onto the bumpber with some super stick tape. I have a friend who had his removed. It takes a bit of work to take of the adhesive and make sure that the removal doesn't pull off the paint. But the end result is there is no holes. My cousin has a factory spoiler on his 99 GS3, and I was surprised that they drilled holes in his trunk. Take a look at your trunk again. If there is no holes that you can see on the trunk itself, then I am pretty sure that they didn't drill any. Or better yet you could ask your dealer.

Laterz
Ricky
Old 05-08-01, 01:39 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Something To Remember

If your GS came with a rear spoiler the high rear red light is on it. If it came without the spoiler the light is on the back of the package shelf.

It doesn't look like the RM spoiler has provisions for the light in it. If so, and you replace the factory wing with it you'll have to somehow create a high red stop light (or come up with a good excuse for the blues).
And you can't just add the light to the original package shelf. The GS has different package shelves depending on whether it has the light fittings or not. If you got the factory spoiler the package shelf is not designed for the light.
Old 05-08-01, 05:01 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't aware that the third taillight is required by law? That's news to me....

Brent

Quick Reply: Understated Spoiler