GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

what mods to do next? need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-01, 10:13 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for some ideas on what mods to do next

I just got my wheels and plan on dropping the car an inch.
I want to get springs this week and perhaps wait a couple weeks for shocks.. will my ride suffer at all?

also thinking about intake.. not sure which one

how about torque converter? LSD? ECU?

Who makes an exhaust that isnt toooo loud
I had a RMM muffler on my wife's 2000 v6 camry and it sounded like crap
was too loud for my liking

any more suggestions on mods or comments
please bring it on

My car is leased currently but i've decided to keep and slowly turn it into a masterpiece show car

thanks

Old 05-07-01, 02:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my suggestion...

Group 1 Upgrades (Simple bolt-ons):
a) TRD Strut Tower Bar (front)
b) TRD Sway Bars (front and back)
c) TRD Chassis Brace
d) L-Tuned Steering ECU
e) Exhaust

Group 2 Upgrades (a little more involved):
a) SRT HFI/ECU Upgrade
b) Upgrade to height adjustable coil overs (H&R, Tein, etc.)
c) Big Brake Kit (AP Racing, Brembo, etc.)
d) TRD LSD
e) Torque Converter

Group 3 Upgrades (serious):
a) Supercharger
Old 05-07-01, 02:27 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the input

my suggestion...

Group 1 Upgrades (Simple bolt-ons):
a) TRD Strut Tower Bar (front)
got that done already

b) TRD Sway Bars (front and back)
most likely eventually

c) TRD Chassis Brace
probably cant because of complex audio in the trunk

d) L-Tuned Steering ECU
defintly

e) Exhaust
most likely if i find one that isnt TOO loud

--

Group 2 Upgrades (a little more involved):
a) SRT HFI/ECU Upgrade
defintly

b) Upgrade to height adjustable coil overs (H&R, Tein, etc.)
which ones do you recommend?

c) Big Brake Kit (AP Racing, Brembo, etc.)
definetly not imediate futur

d) TRD LSD
definetly

e) Torque Converter
definetly

--

Group 3 Upgrades (serious):
a) Supercharger
do you really want to know
do they make a turbo kit for the gs400?

can someone run down some prices for me

thanks

Old 05-07-01, 07:54 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy Rear Brace

Erick - Glad to hear ( HA-HA!! ) that U got your tweeter problem fixed! Kinda doubt that there's anything wrong with the EPX2 but won't hurt sending it to RF but they aren't too quick in repairing things ( figure 3-4 weeks ). U're right about that rear brace - I couldn't get mine to work because of the sub enclosure & I've seen your pics ( U'll have the same problem ). For pricing, keep an eye out on the SRT forum here on this site because Mo sometimes runs group buys. I got a great package price on the intake/Borlas/torque convertor so U might call him about maybe extending the same deal to U. No turbo as of yet for the GS but TRD's working on a S/C for it that will be covered under your warranty if Lexus installs it ( probably NOT the thing to do to a leased car unless U plan to buy it later! ). Lastly, check with Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota about any TRD parts & maybe the L-tuned stuff ( gonzo4U@earthlink.net ). Have fun!
Old 05-07-01, 09:23 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Erick G

I want to get springs this week and perhaps wait a couple weeks for shocks.. will my ride suffer at all?
Erick,

Just a thought. Install the springs and shocks at the same time otherwise you will pay double for basically the same labor.

Brent
Old 05-07-01, 09:26 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Rear Brace

Originally posted by Mean Gene
Erick - Glad to hear ( HA-HA!! ) that U got your tweeter problem fixed! Kinda doubt that there's anything wrong with the EPX2 but won't hurt sending it to RF but they aren't too quick in repairing things ( figure 3-4 weeks ). U're right about that rear brace - I couldn't get mine to work because of the sub enclosure & I've seen your pics ( U'll have the same problem ). For pricing, keep an eye out on the SRT forum here on this site because Mo sometimes runs group buys. I got a great package price on the intake/Borlas/torque convertor so U might call him about maybe extending the same deal to U. No turbo as of yet for the GS but TRD's working on a S/C for it that will be covered under your warranty if Lexus installs it ( probably NOT the thing to do to a leased car unless U plan to buy it later! ). Lastly, check with Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota about any TRD parts & maybe the L-tuned stuff ( gonzo4U@earthlink.net ). Have fun!
Gene,

Did I hear that correctly???? TRD is working on a S/C for the GS400? Any additional information/specs/dates???

Thanks.

Brent
Old 05-07-01, 09:41 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Brent,

so far just words on the street. my service advisor told me that last year, but i have not seen anything yet
Old 05-07-01, 09:50 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
Brent,

so far just words on the street. my service advisor told me that last year, but i have not seen anything yet
Will,

Darn! So tantalizing....
Old 05-07-01, 11:24 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

My friend owns a bodyshop and can do springs/shocks for free
so im not too worried about thet cost for spring/shock installation

thanks

Old 05-07-01, 01:43 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking The Word According to Steve!

Erick - Steve ( Ganz ) gave me that info about 3 months ago. he said it was going to be similiar to the S/C for the Camry/Solara/Tundra engines but TRD had to work out some bugs with the GS fuel delivery system. Can't ( IMO ) see it making quite the power of Mo's Stage 1 as I'm sure it will be detuned for engine longevity but think the cost will be on par with Swift's. I'm sure Steve will keep us informed as to the latest! BTW - if you're in Maryland, U can't be too far from Swift so go visit Muhammad & see what he can/will do for ya!! Wish I was close enough to drop by but the lure of his Stage 3 S/C might get me divorced!!
Old 05-07-01, 07:43 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

TRD supercharger for gs4???

If Lexus installs there is no void on warranty ??

Looks like if the price is right a lot of people who had never even thought of doing something radical like a supercharger (like me) would do so

Because of the Toyota reliability and because the warranty will not be voided. Excellent !!!
Old 05-07-01, 11:45 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The Chassis brace goes in FRONT under the tranny. Your GS should already have one (but a weak one) so unless you have some crazy *** setup on the stereo system, it should bolt on just fine.

My buddy just got the "stage 1" done to his GS300 today (2001)...I drove it to the shop before he had the stuff done and it drove...well, it drove like a SUV....after the kit got put on, I picked up the car and then picked him up and we took it to a local canyon and MAN what a difference. Even with stock 16" wheels, stock tires, and stock height, the difference was amazing.

I had my GS430 done with my suspension all at once so it wasn't really fair to compare my ride it to stock (I knew it be night and day). Being able to compare it back to back, Stage 1 (minus the exhaust) vs. Stock Ride was quite interesting. It was MUCH better then I though it would be. Ride quality felt the same except that the car tracked much better over bumps and in dips and such the wobbles stopped.

As far as the coilovers, if you want to keep the ride quality, I would recommend the Tein CS system. It goes from stock/mushy to "sporty". The Tein HA starts at "sporty" and goes into "sport".

The H&R's (what I have now) are closer to "sport" but not as harsh as the Tein HA's on it's stiffest setting. Works for me and I know H&R makes bulletproof products. I have never heard of anyone have problem with Tein's and the set I had worked great...I switched to H&R for parts/service availability (you never know...and when you need a part, waiting sucks). I may go back to Tein after they set up shop in the U.S.A....maybe.