GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What do you guys think-Seat warranty/repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 07:46 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Chuck. What ever happened with this? Did Lexus ever get back to you like they said they would? Here's an idea. Assuming corporate says no, what about trying a different dealer? You'd be surprised how some dealerships really aim to please, especially if there's a good chance that you'll bring them your car for service on a going-forward basis. I think you're due for your 30k soon, so maybe you could hold that in front of them as a "carrot" (I know it's not much, but it's something, right?). I've found that Lexus dealerships will replace non-warranty items (or cover items when a warranty has expired) under what they call "customer good will." It usually applies to things that aren't covered by the warranty or if your warranty has just expired. For example, I went out of warranty earlier this year. When the weather turned cold in Chicago, my headlights started to fog up (I had never noticed this before). My dealership was willing to replace the headlights under warranty under customer good will. I'm not sure who ended up paying for the parts (it may have been the dealership). Anyway, just a thought.

e-man
Old 12-11-04, 09:04 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks E, I'm waiting to hear from corp still. I thought about another dealer if this doesn't work out, we'll see what happens. I definately decided no half *** repair job though.
Old 12-11-04, 09:10 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
Thanks E, I'm waiting to hear from corp still. I thought about another dealer if this doesn't work out, we'll see what happens. I definately decided no half *** repair job though.
Glad to see that you are trying to have it replaced opposed to having it dyed..BTW- which dealership in FL are you dealing with??
Old 12-11-04, 01:11 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Wilde Lexus of Sarasota. They are usually good to me. My service rep is great, but I'm starting to question management.
Old 12-25-04, 09:36 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I went through Lex customer service and still got nowhere. The best I got out of them was they would give me a $200 credit towards a new seat cover . Does anyone have an idea what a seat cover costs THEM?
I am VERY reluctant to let them "repair" the seat. My Svc. Rep thinks I should let them repair it and if it looks bad in a year or 6 months that the dealer will be on the hook for it. But still, I just don't like the fact of letting them F with it
I still have a bad feeling about them doing a half *** fix job. I'm probably just going to leave it alone. What do you guys think?
Old 12-25-04, 06:56 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Chuck -- I really thought Lexus was going to come through for you on this one. A $200 credit is not a bad start, but I doubt it gets you even half way there. My concern with the dealership trying to "fix" it for you as opposed to replacing the leather is that it may look good in the short term, but that it will eventually look worse as opposed to if you do nothing. In other words, the best way to describe the way it looks right now is "worn." If they try to fix it, over time, not only will it look worn, but it will also look as if someone had tinkered with it. In the end, you may regret letting the dealership touch it in the first place. Do you see what I'm saying? I'd give it some thought before you let them do anything. While you're thinking about it, maybe you could get some estimates to resurface the seat.

e-man
Old 12-25-04, 07:24 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy seats

Chuck thanks for posting this

My car has 62K and the seats have this cracking, way worse than yours. Also someone did a botched repair to the right bolster that I did not notice until after I bought the car. When I used the Zaino leather cleaner on the center console the dye came off and it looked like hell.

I went into a dealer (not where I bought car), I do have a friend who works there. I asked about replacing the leather and he said I should go where they send them and save myself a ton of money over what they would charge. But he also said the repair place charges $650 for the leather for the seat and then they charge more to install it. This is the thing I hate about my car and would really like it to look perfect inside like my wife's car. I mean it is embarrassing to have a car like this with an interior that looks like crap. I would love to get this fixed but I'm afraid I'm looking at a $1000 to do it right.

3dog
Old 12-25-04, 07:47 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks e and Ivan- I might try another dealer. There is another Lex dealer about an hour from here(Lex of Clearwater- if anyone's dealt w/them pls let me know). Mine's really not that noticable but it just bugged me enough to try to get it warrantied since car only has 24k miles. I really noticed it when I applied conditioner, but when it dries it's not as bad again. I don't really wan't to dish out $$$ for it and I'm not gonna let them hack it.
Old 12-26-04, 09:15 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuckb,
Have you heard of these people:
http://www.leatheriqueorder.com/

They have some great reviews by users of their product. Used by the restorers of cars like RollsRoyce, Porche, and Ferrari. If you do a search, you can find what other CL members have to say about it as well. I think I'm gonna give their cleaner and conditioner a try. Come to think of it, they are located somewhere in Florida as I recall.

Last edited by DetMich1; 12-26-04 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 02:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally i would just let them repair it. i wouldn't really be bothered by the seats, if they repair it and 6 months later they have problems, now they got their hands on it and they can't just walk away from it
Old 12-27-04, 12:11 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Post Seat repair

Originally Posted by rominl
personally i would just let them repair it. i wouldn't really be bothered by the seats, if they repair it and 6 months later they have problems, now they got their hands on it and they can't just walk away from it
I agree with you on this Henry. Have them make a note in their computer that if the repair goes bad that they will stand by the repair, and fix it right the next time.