GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What do you guys think-Seat warranty/repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 09:21 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What do you guys think-Seat warranty/repair

My 01 GS has 24k miles and is still under warranty. I went to the dealer today to see if they would warranty my seat.
It has some small hairline cracks on seat back. It's not that noticable but it's the only flaw on my interior so I figured since it's under warranty I'd see what they would do.
They won't replace it but they offered to have it repaired by this guy that does their stuff and they say is real good. I don't know if I trust them to mess with it. I have never heard of this repair job before and I question how it would look and last.
Should I let them "Fix it" or just forget about it? Has anyone had this done?
thanks
chuckb
Attached Thumbnails What do you guys think-Seat warranty/repair-seat-002.jpg  
Old 12-06-04, 10:50 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go look at some of the guys other work
Old 12-06-04, 11:05 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What do you guys think-Seat warranty/repair

Originally posted by chuckb
My 01 GS has 24k miles and is still under warranty. I went to the dealer today to see if they would warranty my seat.
It has some small hairline cracks on seat back. It's not that noticable but it's the only flaw on my interior so I figured since it's under warranty I'd see what they would do.
They won't replace it but they offered to have it repaired by this guy that does their stuff and they say is real good. I don't know if I trust them to mess with it. I have never heard of this repair job before and I question how it would look and last.
thanks
chuckb
the dealership is going to have the seats dyed to hide the cracks..it looks good at first but will be noticeable in the long run..you may want to try to get the seat cover replaced instead of DYED (repaired)
Old 12-06-04, 11:09 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: What do you guys think-Seat warranty/repair

Originally posted by johnee78
the dealership is going to have the seats dyed to hide the cracks..it looks good at first but will be noticeable in the long run..you may want to try to get the seat cover replaced instead of DYED (repaired)
I tried, they wont replace it.

I'm thinking I'll just leave it alone. I don't want a short term fix that will end up worse in a year or so. Like I said, it's barely noticable. I had to put the camera 3 inches from the seat for the pic to show it.
Old 12-06-04, 11:10 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Fisher503
Go look at some of the guys other work
it will look good at first but it's like putting a band aid on something that should be replaced..I had mine done about 3yrs ago and within a year it looked kinda crappy like it was dyed..The dealership does this so that the interior looks new and they can make it a CPO..it saves then alot of money instead of replacing worn leather..
Old 12-06-04, 11:31 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by johnee78
I can't say whether your dealer would do a "dye-job" on your seats (I doubt it), but I think you should take them up on their offer - if their soloution doesn't work, then you have a basis from which to return to your initial request. My Lexus dealer had to replace the glass screen on the climate control/trip computer system on my `04 SC430. In so doing, the technician damaged the leather that frames the screen. The dealer's leather repair contractor fixed it using some type of compound on the damaged areas and it's impossible to see any residual damage. By the way, I experienced this same thing on my former `02 SC430 with the same result.
Old 12-06-04, 03:47 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

On these "repairs"-Do they fill in cracks with some kind of synthetic filler or what. Obviously they cant melt leather into it

Last edited by chuckb; 12-06-04 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 03:51 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

When I was at Toyota they would just air brush them. Temp fix for car they try and sell. Looks good for a while.
Old 12-06-04, 09:43 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What do you guys think-Seat warranty/repair

thanks
chuckb
Chuck, that's the driver's seat, right? So that is the bolster closest to the window. Just curious, are your windows tinted? Do you use a sunscreen on the front windshield when you have to park out in the sun? You have pretty powerful sun down there in Fla. I think the UV rays are a major contributor to that kind of cracking of the leather. Obviously, if it cracks thru during the warranty it will be replaced. In general, the dealers like doing warranty work for Lexus cause they just swap new parts for old, quick and easy fix, makes the customer happy and Lexus pays for everything
Old 12-06-04, 09:52 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DetMich1
Chuck, that's the driver's seat, right? So that is the bolster closest to the window. Just curious, are your windows tinted? Do you use a sunscreen on the front windshield when you have to park out in the sun? You have pretty powerful sun down there in Fla. I think the UV rays are a major contributor to that kind of cracking of the leather. Obviously, if it cracks thru during the warranty it will be replaced. In general, the dealers like doing warranty work for Lexus cause they just swap new parts for old, quick and easy fix, makes the customer happy and Lexus pays for everything
No tints- but my car is garaged and rarely in the sun all day. I think it's from the previous owner rubbing on it while getting in and out. I have warranty until April so I'll try again later. I don't think I'll risk letting them mess with it unless they agree to replace.

If they were to replace the back they should do the bottom too so it matches, right?
Old 12-06-04, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well you probably might go ahead and take up the offer on the rapair, that's your best bet i think. unless you know the people well, otherwise replacing it is too much, considering that this is all wear and tear item

my gs400 has more cracks like that but it's all expected imho

just condition the seats more often now
Old 12-06-04, 10:26 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
well you probably might go ahead and take up the offer on the rapair, that's your best bet i think. unless you know the people well, otherwise replacing it is too much, considering that this is all wear and tear item

my gs400 has more cracks like that but it's all expected imho

just condition the seats more often now
Yah, the dealer said repair was not really under warranty but they would do it once for goodwill.

I'm just afraid in a year it may look worse than if they hadn't touched it. The fix sounds like a half *** repair to me.
Old 12-06-04, 10:28 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my seats/armrest re-dyed gray by lexus under warranty and it came out very nice. Almost all my cracks seemed to disapear and the seats looked brand new. But after driving on them for 3 months now, some cracks seem to becoming back and where the cracks are, the dye seems to be fading away. Still doesn't look that bad compared to before. I was told that I should not use any leather products that contain cleaners on my seats or it slowly strip the dye off...

I was told the warranty job was about $500 to re-dye the seats and armrest...
Old 12-06-04, 10:32 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

how much do you think new seat covers cost them(dealer)?

Last edited by chuckb; 12-06-04 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Yah, the dealer said repair was not really under warranty but they would do it once for goodwill.

I'm just afraid in a year it may look worse than if they hadn't touched it. The fix sounds like a half *** repair to me.
well, it's not really a fully fix, it's just a cosmetic cover imho, so over time it will come back out for sure.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think-Seat warranty/repair