GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Read first post before answering
I would keep the original 400 emblem
36.11%
I think it's OK to "downgrade" from a 400/430 to a 300
2.78%
I would rather just de-badge it and leave everyone guessing
61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

What do you think about "downgrading" (with regards to enblems) your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 04:19 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to take anything away with regards to this GS topic, but I think this is a very good and interesting discussion that can also be applied to all Lexus models. Around my area, I get a few sarcastic looks from employees in my workplace when I bring my daily driver ES. Nobody else drives a Lexus there, and instead, most people drive the usual cookie-cutter type cars. On that note, they may think I'm at some high-level position, but I'm just a typical engineer working the grindstone, nothing more
Old 12-09-04, 04:31 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug, I fully understand where you're coming from. I bet if I drive the ES or the IS or the RX, the reaction will be the same.

Some people hear the word "LEXUS" and just automatically put you in a different category. Such as "Oh, he had to get a Lexus huh? I guess a regular car is not good enough for him." Yet, they don't understand that your Lexus cost less than their new Ford Taurus.
Old 12-09-04, 04:42 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally posted by CinFulxGS4
Debadge!

I changed to the L-Tuned grill and now people have to walk around to the back just to figure out what kind of car it is...

With all the badges off just say it is just some Toyota you picked up.

Like wise debadge! .L-Tune grill and just the center Lexus logo in back . I could care less what people think in terms of what kind of car. My only motivation is to suprise some unsuspecting guy at the light..
I say let um find out
Old 12-09-04, 07:46 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

any rebadging of something other than what you have is posing... if you want to give your car the mysterious look, just get rid of all the badges but the big L.
Old 12-09-04, 08:05 PM
Canyonero
Driver

I'd say do what ever YOU think will make your car look best to YOU, not to someone else. I couldn't care less what my boss or co-workers thinks of my car. But, I'd have to admit, ever since I got my car, I've gotten a LOT more respect. Any of you guys feel the same?
Old 12-09-04, 08:11 PM
Canyonero
Driver

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
Cadd, the only thing I can then tell you is this:

Do your job to the best of your ability and if they don't reward you or compensate you accordingly, consider it a sign and start looking for more gainful employment

stay strong!
When it comes to raises and bonuses at my job, it doesn't matter if you're driving a really nice ride or some junker, it will still be little to nothing!

So I guess that's a good thing...
Old 12-09-04, 08:37 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cadd
Doug, I fully understand where you're coming from. I bet if I drive the ES or the IS or the RX, the reaction will be the same.

Some people hear the word "LEXUS" and just automatically put you in a different category. Such as "Oh, he had to get a Lexus huh? I guess a regular car is not good enough for him." Yet, they don't understand that your Lexus cost less than their new Ford Taurus.
Good point Cadd, if you work with people that shallow, 300, 330, 400, 430 won't matter that much, the fact that it's a Lexus makes you a target, you should get a beater and leave the Lexus at home.
Old 12-09-04, 09:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't change anything unless it's the look you want. Anyways, it's not like if you debadge it now they won't know it's the same car anymore.

I say F-em. Besides, this guy you're worried about has 3 Lex that he prob bought brand new and he's sweatin you about your used GS?
Old 12-09-04, 09:05 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Cadd,

Just point out the fact you bought it used and that it is a 1999 model.

I agree with everyone else here. What you drive should not make a difference.

I also l know what you mean. I was talking to my landlord about how my bumpers get destroyed by parking on the street and he said, "well, if I owned a Lexus I would worry about that too."

Ed
Old 12-09-04, 09:14 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
Dave, you had me rolling!

NT2, I would love to stick a Aristo front grille with a Toyota sign.....but that would cost me more $$$....something I don't have.

D2, I guess it attracts more "unwanted" attention huh

Rexdr, as a matter of fact, I picked up the car USED. And it cost me around $20k. This supervisor just kept grilling me about where I picked it up, or how much I paid and how many miles on it, etc. I tried to avoid the questions and I was as vague as possible.

He makes over $200k/yr. I make about 25% of that. He lives in a house that's worth $900k (9 bedrooms, 3 car garage & circular driveway). I live in a house with my parents.

He drives 3 Lexus. He owns a LX, RX & ES. I guess he feels like me (making so little money) shouldn't be driving around in a Lexus.

Mooretorque, I understand where you're coming from. You seem to be a fair & professional superior. I certainly hope that my promotions will be based on my performance. I also think I'm a good performer. I joined the firm 4 years ago (straight from college), worked in 3 different departments, and received 2 promotions (the recent one made me an "officer" of the firm which employs close to 50k employees and have offices in over 30 countries).

To tell you the truth, I'm really not concerned about the raise/bonus thing. I really don't think he'll hold that against me. What I'm concern about is the "image" he has of me. He probably thinks that I come from a rich family that somehow helped me with an "expensive" (in his mind) car purchase.

But the truth is, we were on Welfare & foodstamps when we came to America. My family never had a car that was 8 years or newer. We never had a car that was worth over $3,000 simply because we couldn't afford it (until I graduated from college and worked).

But with his perception of me, I'm afraid when it comes time to allocate bonus, if he has to decide between me and someone else to give the extra $3k to, I'm afraid he may give it other the other person (even though I did a better job through out the year), just because he thinks I really don't need it.

Another thing that frustrates me is that, somehow everyone in the department knows that I own a Lexus. Everyone time someone mentions cars, they'll always mention "Ohhhhh, Cadd drives a Lexus". I guess someone told the entire department......I know I didn't.

Every time that comes up, I just remind them that their late model Accord, Maxima, C240, 325i, Camry, etc. cost more than my Lexus.

And of course half these people have no idea which model I have. Hell, they have no idea about cars in general. Hence, the debadging/rebadging dilemma.

GODAYAMM!!! HOUSES ARE THAT CHEAP!?!?!?!? wish the market for real estate was like that over here... for us to have a house like that in hawaii, youre talkin at least 2-3 million... WOW!!! wish i could live where your boss is at!! lol
Old 12-09-04, 09:19 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Why can't you? It's only a plane ride away. You make it seem like it's impossible.
Old 12-09-04, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i will post my experience about having these kind of cars in the office...

the comapny i work for is big, i am talking about 600 to 800 people, so you see a lot of cars in the lot. of all the cars i see, to be honestly, my cars are easily among the top 3 in terms of employees. one of the director he has m5, sl500, ferrari 612 (i think), 911 turbo, and he's definitely a car guy. couple managers or so they have boxters, 745i, etc... and then there is me, just a normal emplyee, but with a gs4 all fixed up, an is300, and also some stuff up my sleeves...

imho, you always get people who thinks you are loaded, that's just how it is when you have nice cars... specailly when you get a new car they will storm to you within days asking if you got a new car and what not. what i do is always try to stay low profile, not say much, if they find out they find out.

if they say i am loaded and stuff, i will just explain that everyone has different priorities. my wife and i love cars, and we are willing to spend money on it, so that's our choice. some people spend 2000 bucks on a damn LV bag too, so how do you call that? and some people they spend tons of money on travel, that's big time money too right?

after my explanation, they actually understand a lot more and agrees that i just have a much "different" interest in stuff in my life, and people feel different about it...

once people know about that, and they understand that you are being humble and not trying to show off crap, they will be fine. it's all about understanding.

and honeslty, sometimes it's not about debadge or not at all say if i own LS430, 911 turbo, sc430, or the m3. i can debadge all i want and peple will still come and damn me
Old 12-09-04, 10:30 PM
Canyonero
Driver

You should move to so cal. Every other person here drives either a bimmer, benz, lexus, etc. You'll almost blend right in.
Old 12-09-04, 10:32 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Debage it and slap and aristo emblem!
Old 12-10-04, 12:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Canyonero
You should move to so cal. Every other person here drives either a bimmer, benz, lexus, etc. You'll almost blend right in.
and actually maybe "under class"

Quick Reply: What do you think about "downgrading" (with regards to enblems) your car?