GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ok, someone talk me out of this...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-01, 02:19 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as some of you may know, I've been looking for a good "beater"...I was considering several cars including a JZS147 GS (our pre-98 GS), a LS of some sort (preferably a UCF20/21 MC Before which would be 95-97 LS in the USA), a SC300, or something other Lexus...I just want something that I can put miles on (nothing insane...only like 20K/year) and not have to baby (like my Black GS430).

Since I plan on turning the GS430 into a mostly a showcar, I don't want to drive it too much (wear and tear and random acts of violence like a loose hubcap on the freeway)...

But I hit my head on a counter the other day and now I've had a change of heart...now I think I want something else as a "beater"....a W203 C-Class with a full Carlsson RS setup (minus the engine work). Silver with a light grey interior with the Aluminum trim (which I'll have to order since you can't get the alum. trim with anything other than the black interior)...maybe I'll do custom Black/Silver Carbon Fiber interior (which I can do myself)

Now this is going against my own grain! First off, I LOVE black interiors but the C-Class's black interior looks BAD (like the black interiors on the ES300). I don't know what it is exactly, but the light grey interior looks SO TIGHT on the C-Class...

Secondly, I'm not a Mercedes-Benz fan in the least, but the Carlsson kit really does it for me (but I think I'm going to do the 1/6 Evo's instead of the 2/5's).

Third, this car doesn't really fit my "beater" qualifications. I'll want to take care of it almost as well as my GS...

My only arguements are that I can put a zillion miles on this car and someone will still pay top dollar for it (look at how much used 190e's are going for!) and that silver is a easy color to maintain (except when it comes to colormatching...silver is one of the most difficult)...and it's more fuel efficient than a LS400 and probably gets better gas mileage than a used GS300/SC300...

Please, someone talk/beat me out of this spell...

here's a picture of what I'm looking at...except for the rims, I prefer the 1/6 Evo's...
Attached Thumbnails Ok, someone talk me out of this...-aktuell_messe_genf.jpg  
Old 05-09-01, 04:26 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manaray....

a mercedes beater.. hahahahahhaha... I wish I had your money and frame of mind!!! I dont know if I'm the correct person to talk you out of it though... I'm the guy who wants to have Lex, benz, bim..etc.... hehe..

but just curious... interesting choice in "beater"/everyday car... what made you choose it?

oh.. .one thing with that C.... the front bottom sort of reminds me very much of the current model Nissan Sentras... Nothing wrong with Sentras.. but... just an observation..

Last edited by babyGS3; 05-09-01 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-09-01, 05:55 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default A beater benz???

Uh, haven't there been a number of posts on the high cost of maintaining a benz?

Sounds like a high maintenance approach to a "beater".

I agree with baby. I'd like to have this kind of $$ for my beater.

And you know you'll end up treating the benz just like your GS and then you'll have two that you can't drive too much and you'll get a third car...like a Supra and you'll want to slam it also and put in a TC...

See, it never ends
Old 05-09-01, 07:55 AM
bcgs4
Driver School Candidate

Default Well said, RealMarty!

It's happened to me as I'm sure it's happened to many, many others! My beater turned into a Shelby GT 350 replica which meant buying another 'beater'. Just a word of caution manaray.
Old 05-09-01, 09:40 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default I have a suggestion...

Get married...You won't have the luxury to worry about a beater car - both cars have to be driveable everywhere!
Old 05-09-01, 10:55 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manaray,

Carlsson has always been one of my fav tuners. but now you are going to use it as a beater?

Brent, that was FUNNNY. Btw, you shocks will be here ~next wednesday. do you want to pick it up before the meet? or should i give them to you at Carson?
Old 05-09-01, 11:46 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Manaray sounds like you're turning your beater into a showcar!

Seriously, if you want a beater, get a beater. Don't think a C with Carlsson kit and rims can go everywhere.

Think Japanese sports cars. Or find a 95 3000GT VR-4 Spyder. One of my all time favorite convertables.
Old 05-09-01, 12:22 PM
zz231
Pole Position

manaray, i have a friend who's getting his c class with the full carlsson body kit sometime next month, very very nice choice. his is gonna have the black interior though. like everybody else said, i'm sure it's gonna turn into a show car that you're gonna love as much as your gs, so you'll end up with the same problem. i bought a 95 nissan 300Z turbo for the same reason right after i got my gs, well, i know it's not a carlsson c class but i fell in love with it just as much and ended up doing mods to it along with the gs. so i still don't have a beater. if you have the money then go with it, good for you. but i assure you it's gonna be more than just a beater.
Old 05-09-01, 02:30 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by zz231
manaray, i have a friend who's getting his c class with the full carlsson body kit sometime next month, very very nice choice. his is gonna have the black interior though. like everybody else said, i'm sure it's gonna turn into a show car that you're gonna love as much as your gs, so you'll end up with the same problem. i bought a 95 nissan 300Z turbo for the same reason right after i got my gs, well, i know it's not a carlsson c class but i fell in love with it just as much and ended up doing mods to it along with the gs. so i still don't have a beater. if you have the money then go with it, good for you. but i assure you it's gonna be more than just a beater.
I use to own a 95 300XZTT. That car is NOT a beater car....That was an awesome sports car for the price.
Old 05-09-01, 02:48 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BLiu

I use to own a 95 300XZTT. That car is NOT a beater car....That was an awesome sports car for the price.
I had an 94 TT and if I hadn't grown tired of shifting (and Nissan service...talk about not knowing how to deal with the owner of a $45k car ) I'd still have it. Great car, great handling, great road feel, went like hell once the turbo kicked in about 2800.
Old 05-09-01, 02:59 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Yup...

There's about a group of 5-6 SoCal guys I know that just upgraded their Z's with the HKS BB turbos. They will kick some major butt once the cars are done.

Too bad about Nissan service, I took mine to a guy in SoCal named Greg Dupree - the best service at the best price and a great guy to boot. He installed the Z32 TT engine (VG30DETT) into a 240Z including all the plumbing and wiring. I sat in that car and it WAS FAST!!!! You can imagine how light that 240 was compared to the heavy Z32...Awesome.

Brent
Old 05-09-01, 06:44 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

If you really want a beater, then you should get a car that you do not care about. Mods should be the last thing on your mind when comes to a beater car. I say stay away from any kind of car that you can mod to make it look cool or to make it go fast. Talk about having a beater, I have a 87 Toyota truck that needs a paint job, an ac unit, a working speed odometer, a working heater gauage and an accurate gas gauge.......... you get the picture.

Manaray, since you are a wheel expert, I would like to know what would you recommand as a good wheel diameter for our GS430, 18" or 19". I know that look wise, 19" will definitely look better, but I still want some practical use out of my car. I definitely have to consider the fact that my wife mayl have to drive the car around with kids in the future. Yeap, got to think about wife and kids, I guess....heheeee

thanks for your input

Old 05-09-01, 07:34 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default My quest for a beater...

Wow! Lots of responses! Thanks guys...

What Real Marty said is really true...I'll end up treating the C-Class like my GS...parking in the farthest and/or largest parking space, driving slower to avoid potholes, etc...but damn it, I have a feeling that no matter what I get, I'll end up fixing it up...

As far as maintenance is concerned, I believe that all MB come with free scheduled maintenance. Lexus could learn from this (instead of their HIDEOUSLY overpriced maintenance SCAM!)

BabyGS3 - You're right about the Sentra look-a-like. But Nissan copied the German DTM Mercedes (which is what that "look" is suppose to be on the Carlsson kit)...you want to talk about a warped state of mind? I don't even have a job! (and I'm not even a mommy/daddy/trust fund leech...)

I guess I should buy a beater that you can't or don't want to fix up. Like a 1989 Toyota Camary (does the TRD supercharger fit on that year?)...AHHHH!!! See, I can't help it! What kind of nutcase would put a supercharger on a 1989 Camary?! At least I can't put a body kit or rims on it (that car looks SUPER cheezy with a body kit and rims)...at least the SC is hidden and will make the car faster (which will get me more tickets)...what a vicious cycle.

Brent - Get married? Are you INSANE? Don't you watch Married with Children? Really though, I'm not ready...it's hard enough dealing with girlfriends as it is, but to be STUCK with one in a legal, binding contract? No thanks!! Once I meet Mrs. Right (someone who looks like Josie Maran, but with the "right" personality), I'll settle down...maybe...you know there is a Marriage "tax penalty" too, right? Boy, I hope she has a good job!

GS4Will - Well I won't be "beating" up C-Class too much...but I'm definitely not moving furniture with it!

GlobeCLK - My homie has a 3000GT VR4...very nice, but not mechanically sound. He's had a LOT of problems with it (my other buddy has a non-VR4 3000GT and it too has it share of "issues").

ZZ231 - I can NOT get a Nissan 300ZX. That car has just WAY too much aftermarket things available for it...WAY too much...I would end up with some type of Steve Millen-Style GTR 300ZX with a full bore widebody kit and 12" wide rims with a super upgraded turbo...ack! It's already not a beater! Damn it.

Kajukenbo - I know what I'm SUPPOSE to do with a beater, but I can't help it...I can't even leave a '89 Camary alone! I have a sickness...I need 12 steps to recovery...I need the AMA (Automotive Modifiers Anonymous) or something...

As far as wheels go, if you're concerned with practicality, DEFINITELY go with 18's...with 19's, you'll still have to be careful and with wife and kids and such...18's, definitely...won't look as nice as 19's, but it won't hurt you as much when it hits a pothole or a curb (most women I've known don't know how to drive a lowered car with large rims, but hey, if your wife does, go for the 19's!)...

Oh, here's a picture of Josie Maran that I found on the web...I figure most people have never heard of her...
Attached Thumbnails Ok, someone talk me out of this...-josie_glam_832.jpg  
Old 05-09-01, 09:34 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

do what I did buy a 79 lincoln coupe for 100 bucks paint it bannana yellow with a $2 can of spray paint bolt the windows from the outside with a nail gun so the window wont constantly fall out and make sure you use 110 octane everytime you take it to emmisions and youll be fine whats really funny is even though that car is a coupe its still longer than my GS and it wont fit in my garage lol

now thats the true definition of a beater

it has 220,000 miles on it and runs like a...... ok it runs but hey the good thing is nobody know you have an awsome lexus waiting for you in the garage hehehehe
Old 05-09-01, 09:44 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up to manaray

M,

thanks for the pic(i mean the lovely josie) . i saw her in several cosmetic and printed ads. she def belong to my top 50 chart. i had a list of 25- will's most wanted girl, but every few months, the list gets longer.

i have a beater- a toy camry.

Quick Reply: Ok, someone talk me out of this...