GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sunroof shade driving me crazy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 11:02 PM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henry,
I've got the same rattling problem when the shade is slightly open. I can't picture in my head what you mean by "pull down the roof lining". It would be nice if there were some step by step photos. (Sorry about all the pressure on you, seems like everyone is looking to you).
Old 02-01-05, 01:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JyGS430
Henry,
I've got the same rattling problem when the shade is slightly open. I can't picture in my head what you mean by "pull down the roof lining". It would be nice if there were some step by step photos. (Sorry about all the pressure on you, seems like everyone is looking to you).
actually you can just pull down the lining from the edge of the sunroof. but i can see how "confusing" my tips are though, coz' i couldn't understand exactly what's being done when i saw it myself too. i will do my best to take pics this weekend
Old 02-01-05, 04:06 AM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad it's not only my car.........I had no idea this problem was so prolific.

My 1999 ES300 is a perfect flawless car, no rattles no nothing. The GS on the other hand..............

It gets on my nerves that some punk in the Toyota design department could get the GS sunroof so wrong. Couldn't they just borrow the same tried and tested design off the LS4?

To make things worse my electric steering adjustment is playing up as well now (the wheel isn't going up when I take out the key and is only adjusting up and down intermittently). Looks like I will have to spend the time greasing it up.

Getting rid of the ratttles would be a relief...
Old 02-01-05, 04:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually you can just pull down the lining from the edge of the sunroof. but i can see how "confusing" my tips are though, coz' i couldn't understand exactly what's being done when i saw it myself too. i will do my best to take pics this weekend
You have a chance for greatness. We're counting on you.
Old 02-01-05, 07:36 PM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matters
I'm glad it's not only my car.........I had no idea this problem was so prolific.

My 1999 ES300 is a perfect flawless car, no rattles no nothing. The GS on the other hand..............

It gets on my nerves that some punk in the Toyota design department could get the GS sunroof so wrong. Couldn't they just borrow the same tried and tested design off the LS4?

To make things worse my electric steering adjustment is playing up as well now (the wheel isn't going up when I take out the key and is only adjusting up and down intermittently). Looks like I will have to spend the time greasing it up.

I agree w/ you, why is it only the GS (which is more expensive that the ES) that has this problem.

Besides the rattle, I hear a heck of alot of wind noise around the sunroof and drivers door, esp. at freeway speeds. Does anyone esle have this? I used to have my dad's 95 LS for a short time and it was super quiet. I've mentioned this to the dealer before, but all they say is that its normal. That there are different tolerances btw. the LS and other models.
Old 02-02-05, 12:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You have a chance for greatness. We're counting on you.
great, guess my description was poor at best i will do my very best to get as many pics as possible this weekend. for sure the angle is going to be weird though with the nature of how it's at
Old 02-02-05, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Matters

i have absolutely no clue too. having done so many cars with sunroof, i would think it's very easy to design on the gs... but somehow only the gs has the problem and apparently even on the 430 it's not fixed, very weird...

and the steering wheel, well, that's a motor, so it's just a matter of time imho
Old 02-02-05, 12:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JyGS430
I agree w/ you, why is it only the GS (which is more expensive that the ES) that has this problem.

Besides the rattle, I hear a heck of alot of wind noise around the sunroof and drivers door, esp. at freeway speeds. Does anyone esle have this? I used to have my dad's 95 LS for a short time and it was super quiet. I've mentioned this to the dealer before, but all they say is that its normal. That there are different tolerances btw. the LS and other models.
umm that's weird, the sunroof i wonder if the roof is closed correctly? try to push on the roof and see if that reduce the noice?

i don't really hae much wind noise on my gs4, if anything i have a lot more road noise but that's coz' of the suspension and also the rims. in terms of wind noise my is300 is way worse.
Old 02-07-05, 01:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok guys, i posted up some pics and instrcutions, hope this helps

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150120
Old 07-29-05, 10:41 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the samething it just started happening tonight..broke my heart when i heard it for the first time lol..it really did but im bringing the car in monday for an oil change and a look at my ailiment (sp) so i hope they can fix it..but it only happens when the sunroof is opened i think its that lil bar thing..we'll see
Old 07-29-05, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tuddy
i have the samething it just started happening tonight..broke my heart when i heard it for the first time lol..it really did but im bringing the car in monday for an oil change and a look at my ailiment (sp) so i hope they can fix it..but it only happens when the sunroof is opened i think its that lil bar thing..we'll see
keep us posted how it goes. i have heard of people having some other noises, i would like to see where too
Old 07-30-05, 10:48 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure gald I don't have this problem