GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 Mods - SUPRATRD

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-01 | 05:27 PM
GS3
Driver School Candidate

Question

Steve or anyone else,

I am in the process of adding some goodies to my wife's 2001 GS300 and I had a few questions:

Will the TRD sways and STB (upper and lower) fit on this model (I am trying to avoid RMM stuff like the plague)? I have heard yes and I have heard no. I assume if the upper STB fits I have to remove the engine cover which is no biggie.

Does the L-Tuned ECU look exactly like the stock ECU? I received a steering ECU from Carson Toyota and at least the case was identical to the stock ECU that I pulled out (down to the numbers on the case, etc.). Since I rarely, if ever, drive the car I cannot tell if the steering is any different. The "L-Tuned" ECU came in a "bubble-bag" that had an L-Tuned sticker on the outside with no additional documentation or paperwork.

If I opt to go with the Eibach/Bilstein combo rather than the L-Tuned shocks and springs, how does this affect my warranty?

Any idea what kind of horsepower gains the TRD Supercharger kit will produce and what the ballpark price is going to be?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Last edited by GS3; 05-09-01 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-09-01 | 07:09 PM
RacingAristo

You don't need to remove the engine cover for STB. It's for GS430 folks like me.

You have to have dealer to install L-tuned parts in order to keep the warranty. If not, no matter what you choose, you will break the warranty anyway. However, Bilstein shocks carry one of the best, life time warranty. So you can ensure the quality of the shocks. If you are interested in purchasing Eibach/Bilstein, I have a used set for sale. Please contact me at RacingAristo@clublexus.com

Old 05-09-01 | 09:31 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

the TRD bar will NOT fit the GS300. Engine cover or no engine cover. RMM bar will fit the GS300 with no Cover. Sway bars will fit with no problem.

L-Tuned ECU look exactly like the stock ECU?

Hard to say the powergain of TRD supercharger. Probably won't be that much, maybe up to 300hp THE MOST I guess. Which is not enough, maybe keeping up exactly the same speed as a GS400. I wouldn't spend that much money and get something that'll make my car THE SAME as a GS400. I would rather spend more and go faster.
Old 05-09-01 | 10:48 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default L-Tuned ECU supposedly does look like the stock

GS3,

I wondered about that too... the L-Tuned casing is indeed identical to the stock steering ECU. For a moment I thought the ClubLexus guys had some type of placebo effect from installing the L-Tuned ECU or there was some type of conspiracy out there... but after the install the steering indeed felt way more responsive. It felt very "Bavarian." Well this skeptic was convinced. Don't worry to much because what matters on that unit is the actual programming itself and not the serial number.

As a precaution to anyone installing the unit: Don't accidentally drop the units simultaneously before installation because that would be disastrous.

I think QBranchCars can act as a mediator/authority for the unit.

Also, since the actual ECU is identical in composition wouldn't it be more cost effective to have a mod chip or a power writer from the dealer? Just a thought...
Old 05-09-01 | 11:26 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

1. in the old forum, one of the members actually tipped us to write L on the new ecu as soon as we receive the chip. this was to avoid the "accident" like V300 described.

V300, the keyword of your thought was indeed "cost" effective. some of the L-tune items are actually part of options in japanese and european gs. it is another way for lexus to charge us car dudes. luckily we have Steve, our trd/ltune man.

GS3

for your suspension consideration, if you have anyone other than the dealer tech guys to lower your car, and you have problem in the future, plus your dealer want to pick on you, you are out of luck. the key ingredient is to have a regular service advisor, so that he can look out for your best interest, even if he did not do the install on your car.

if you decide to go for the eibach+bilstein combo, let me know thru Private message. i can get you bilsteins at very good deal.
for l-tunes, call steve at carson toyota.