GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door molding issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 08:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by lostinthew
I have the same problem w/ my 98 GS300. A friend gave me some super adhesive that has held for about 8 months. However, winter is upon us.

The dealer said it would be $270 to replace both doors. I'm stalling.
umm, dunno..... i think my friend paid like 80 bucks or so? just from my memory
Old 12-17-04, 08:48 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Loose rubber thingy.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you can just order the rubber seal on the bottom of the doors. The best thing to do is order the lower door cladding on the doors. I'm not sure how much they cost, but you can call your local dealer. They come already painted, but you'll need to tell them the color code. You can find the color code in the sticker in the drivers door jam bellow the striker. The color code is on the lower left hand corner of that sticker just bellow the bar code. It should say "C/TR:" followed by a set of numbers and letters. On mine, it says "C/TR:6Q7/LE02". The 6Q7 is the color code. Replacing these claddings are easy. On the drivers door, you would remove 3 small nuts and the rest is held in by plastic clips and double stick foam. Just pry the cladding off. When you look at the new cladding, you'll be able to see how to get it off. When installing, just make sure the surface on the door is clean so the cladding will stick. Use adhesive remover to get the old adhesive off from the old double stick foam. This is definately a DIY project. Good luck.
Will

Last edited by TAMR_GUS98; 10-26-06 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-17-04, 09:30 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i ask my boy at the body shop he says to use a heat gun and heat the rubber and use small amounts of silicon..... hes going to fix mines monday (free of charge) so ill see what he does and keep yah informed
Old 12-20-04, 11:33 AM
ShowDiscipline
Rookie

I bought the lower peice with the rubber moulding from my local dealer for $40.30. I had to explain to the parts tech on the phone that this peice is available on it's own instead of paying about $300 for the entire lower door panel. Carson Toyota gave me a quote of about $35 with shipping. The part number for my champagne GS400 is 75736-30170E1. Remember that this peice is color matched, however. And I tried to fix the old peice by taking it off the door to super glue it, but the glue just wouldn't hold.

Last edited by ShowDiscipline; 12-20-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-20-04, 12:06 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's good to know. Was that price for just one door piece? Hows the paint match?
Old 12-20-04, 07:32 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

This is great to know but I really thought there was no way to purchase a new piece. I'll have to have someone look at it.

Thanks for the info!!

I'm working on taking pictures so I can show everyone and see if we all mean the same thing.

Originally Posted by ShowDiscipline
I bought the lower peice with the rubber moulding from my local dealer for $40.30. I had to explain to the parts tech on the phone that this peice is available on it's own instead of paying about $300 for the entire lower door panel. Carson Toyota gave me a quote of about $35 with shipping. The part number for my champagne GS400 is 75736-30170E1. Remember that this peice is color matched, however. And I tried to fix the old peice by taking it off the door to super glue it, but the glue just wouldn't hold.
Old 12-20-04, 09:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well seems like you can in fact purchase that part. i am pretty sure my friend got that piece. he knows his car in and out, if he tells me one thing i have no reason to doubt.

anyone tried to call carson toyota and find out the price?
Old 12-21-04, 01:30 PM
ShowDiscipline
Rookie

Originally Posted by chuckb
That's good to know. Was that price for just one door piece? Hows the paint match?
Yes, $40.30 was the price for the front driver side door. I haven't had time to install the peice yet, but will some time this weekend to check how close the color matches. Being that my GS is champagne, I doubt their will be a real noticeable difference.
Old 12-21-04, 01:34 PM
ShowDiscipline
Rookie

There is a picture in this past thread where I got all my info from.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=lower+door

Originally Posted by ClaudiG
This is great to know but I really thought there was no way to purchase a new piece. I'll have to have someone look at it.

Thanks for the info!!

I'm working on taking pictures so I can show everyone and see if we all mean the same thing.
Old 12-21-04, 01:37 PM
ShowDiscipline
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
well seems like you can in fact purchase that part. i am pretty sure my friend got that piece. he knows his car in and out, if he tells me one thing i have no reason to doubt.

anyone tried to call carson toyota and find out the price?
Carson Toyota gave me a price of about $35 including shipping.
Old 12-21-04, 01:58 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Talking

YES
YES
YES

That's it!!!!!
Thanks SD - Now I can just order it and be done with it. It's been that way way too long - laziness on my part.

Thanks so much!!!!!

I'll read thru the other posts to see who I need to contact to order.

Thanks to everyone!!!!
Old 12-21-04, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

YES
YES
YES

That's it!!!!!
Thanks SD - Now I can just order it and be done with it. It's been that way way too long - laziness on my part.

Thanks so much!!!!!

I'll read thru the other posts to see who I need to contact to order.

Thanks to everyone!!!!
carson toyota parts department ask for gordon
Old 12-21-04, 06:21 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Thanks - will do!!!

I'm hoping it's that easy even I can do it!

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by rominl
carson toyota parts department ask for gordon
Old 12-21-04, 07:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thanks - will do!!!

I'm hoping it's that easy even I can do it!

Thanks!!
you will have no problem doing that. carson toyota is a sponsor of this site. the manager steve (supratrd here) he's a good guy, though it's almost too hard for us to find him
Old 12-22-04, 08:47 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys talking about the thin hard rubber piece at the VERY bottom of the door that is black on the inner part of the door and body color painted on the outside of the door, or the weather seal gasket that is much larger, thicker, and puts a seal between the door frame and the door itself?

If you are referring to the second one, I have seen this happen on several cars, but not mine (yet, anyway). I know on my Friend's 03 Accord it was sagging from the factory. The dealer tried to glue it back on but it came right back down. He then found out that from the factory they put pins inside of the gaskets that are then pinned inside the frame of the door. I don't know if it's the same way on the GS or not, but that could explain why glue isn't working. Have any of y'all noticed very small pin holes in the door and/or gasket?

If they just use glue then how hard could it be to use an equally effective glue to glue it back?

Or heck... as y'all mentioned, silicone should work great too. Why the hesitation to do this? It won't hurt anything.

Quick Reply: Door molding issue