GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I've found a 01 GS430 need help in checking out the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 06:25 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
agreed.....the price on that car WAS $34,000 reduced to $31,000 and placed on special in an ad for $29,795.00
Looks like a good price. But remember, dealers still have wiggle room even with "special deal" pricing. Assuming you're not trading in a car (trade in's always complicate the picture) I'm sure
if you walk in "cash in hand" you could still go lower than 29,795. 00. How much lower - depends on how long the car's been on the lot. It's end of month and end of year - great time to buy. If your price is too low, the dealer will say no. Ask him what he's willing to do to sell the car "Today". See what he say's. You can always go up but stay south of his number. if during your negotiation, the dealer is willing to split the difference with you, what that really means is that he's very close to accepting your price. (like 60-40 or 70-30 your favor) It's a big game...dealer wants as much as they can get and you want to buy for as little as possible. Haggling can be hard work but it's also fun.
Two more tips: Always negotiate in a professional business like mannor and don't play the waiting game with Sales Reps (ie: step out of the office to check with the boss). Tell him/her you want to talk directly with the Manager. Let the dealer know your time is limited and you need to be somewhere else shortly. Good Luck!!

Last edited by rheiy; 12-22-04 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 08:13 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well one problem with me trying to negotiate is that one of my friends works there and they are saying that the price they are giving me is the lowest price because they are giving me there " wholesale price" is that believable? does anyone know or worked at a lexus dealership? were they able to hook up there friends like that? or is that just BS the salesman is pulling out of his a$$?
Old 12-23-04, 05:47 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nyczdave
Well one problem with me trying to negotiate is that one of my friends works there and they are saying that the price they are giving me is the lowest price because they are giving me there " wholesale price" is that believable? does anyone know or worked at a lexus dealership? were they able to hook up there friends like that? or is that just BS the salesman is pulling out of his a$$?
Is your friend the sales rep or does he work there in another position of influence? If your friend is the sales rep, how close are you in your friendship (ie: true friends or just someone you see every now and then) If your close friends and you have complete trust in him, then he should be able to give you the best possible deal. Also, was the special price an advertized price available to the general public? If so, there's wiggle room...100, 200, 500, who knows? If your friend is someone other than the sales rep and is not in a position to influence the pricing, then negotiate... business is business --- it's your hard earned money you'll be handing over.
Let us know how things turn out. Good Luck!
Old 12-23-04, 05:53 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Well my friend who works there isn't a sales rep. he just does bs work around the dealership. but he is pretty cool with all the sales reps. But honestly im not to close to this kid but we have mutual friends. They told me that they were selling the car for 31K but NT2SHBBY said he saw an ad for it in a mag for 29,700 so the sales rep is selling it to me for 29,495. That is including everything except tax. with tax it comes out to about 32K all together.
Does anyone know about a fee for CPO cars? Do you have to pay extra for that? Cause my friend said that he over heard the sales rep talking and they said that they forgot to charge me like an $800 CPO fee. is anyone that bought a CPO lexus familiar with that or have any clue?

Originally Posted by rheiy
Is your friend the sales rep or does he work there in another position of influence? If your friend is the sales rep, how close are you in your friendship (ie: true friends or just someone you see every now and then) If your close friends and you have complete trust in him, then he should be able to give you the best possible deal. Also, was the special price an advertized price available to the general public? If so, there's wiggle room...100, 200, 500, who knows? If your friend is someone other than the sales rep and is not in a position to influence the pricing, then negotiate... business is business --- it's your hard earned money you'll be handing over.
Let us know how things turn out. Good Luck!
Old 12-23-04, 06:38 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Well my friend who works there isn't a sales rep. he just does bs work around the dealership. but he is pretty cool with all the sales reps. But honestly im not to close to this kid but we have mutual friends. They told me that they were selling the car for 31K but NT2SHBBY said he saw an ad for it in a mag for 29,700 so the sales rep is selling it to me for 29,495. That is including everything except tax. with tax it comes out to about 32K all together.
Does anyone know about a fee for CPO cars? Do you have to pay extra for that? Cause my friend said that he over heard the sales rep talking and they said that they forgot to charge me like an $800 CPO fee. is anyone that bought a CPO lexus familiar with that or have any clue?
Did the dealer advertize the car as CPO? If so, their pulling a fast one. When a Lexus is sold with CPO, there's no add on fee --- they build it into the asking price of the car. I would not trust any dealer that adds on a CPO fee "after the fact" unless that car was clearly advertized as non CPO. Also, if the car is truly CPO, it should have already been inspected and there should be a CPO sticker on the vehicle. (mine was located on the inside of the driver's side door). Ask the dealer to show you where they placed the CPO sticker. If its not on the car, its not CPO. As for your friend, keep him as a friend, but its time to keep him out of your negotiations. If anything, the dealer will use your friendship as a way to gain your trust and money through your friend.
Old 12-23-04, 07:04 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Did the dealer advertize the car as CPO? If so, their pulling a fast one. When a Lexus is sold with CPO, there's no add on fee --- they build it into the asking price of the car. I would not trust any dealer that adds on a CPO fee "after the fact" unless that car was clearly advertized as non CPO. Also, if the car is truly CPO, it should have already been inspected and there should be a CPO sticker on the vehicle. (mine was located on the inside of the driver's side door). Ask the dealer to show you where they placed the CPO sticker. If its not on the car, its not CPO. As for your friend, keep him as a friend, but its time to keep him out of your negotiations. If anything, the dealer will use your friendship as a way to gain your trust and money through your friend.

car was NOT advertised as CPO in ad....... BUT at $34k (it's original price) it was CPO....

????

it's a racket I tell ya.....all dealers are mobbed up!
Old 12-23-04, 07:20 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Ok i just called the dealer and they said it is a CPO car!
Old 12-23-04, 08:13 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Ok i just called the dealer and they said it is a CPO car!
This is a tuff one. NT2SHBBY said the car was NOT advertized as CPO at the 29.7 price so
that gave the dealer room to increase his price if sold as CPO. During your conversations with the dealer on price, was it understood between you and the sales rep that the car is being sold as CPO? IF so, you should not expect to pay an extra 800 CPO fee. Its time to deal direclty with the Sales Manager (he's the guy who has final authority for price approval)
BTW, 29,485 sound very reasonable if it includes CPO.
Old 12-23-04, 09:52 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

This is a tuff one. NT2SHBBY said the car was NOT advertized as CPO at the 29.7 price so
that gave the dealer room to increase his price if sold as CPO. During your conversations with the dealer on price, was it understood between you and the sales rep that the car is being sold as CPO? IF so, you should not expect to pay an extra 800 CPO fee. Its time to deal direclty with the Sales Manager (he's the guy who has final authority for price approval)
BTW, 29,485 sound very reasonable if it includes CPO.

thats what I keep tellin Dave....almost a damn steal of a deal
Old 12-23-04, 01:11 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

alrite.. thanks for all the advice.. im gonna go take a second look at the car on Sunday and try to bring the price down a little lower or at least get my self some free parts from lexus.
Old 12-23-04, 01:12 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Does some one have a list of items that should of been changed for the 30K service?

Thanks

I bought my 01 GS 3 years ago with 10M miles as certified. Unless you have heard negative things about your Lexus Dealership, you can be fairly certain that the car should be in good mechanical condition and has not been in any major accidents. In fact, the dealer should be able to pull all service records on the car and show them to you. As for other stuff like Body Condition, etc...
everything can be negotiated. Ie: Insist dealer provide latest update for Nav, Check condition of floor mats, if worn, insist on new ones, have dealer buff out scratches, or lower your offer price based on accepting existing scratches, dings, wheel curb rash etc.. as is. Also, make sure you get at least 2 sets of keys, all tires (including spare) should be brand new, and that the dealer performed the 30k service. Drive the car and drive a brand new one just to compare. If the car is good,( assuming there's no mods on the used one) there should be no difference between the New and Used other than that "new car smell" If you detect something in the way the car handles , shifts, etc... that just does not feel right, you may want to consider something else.
As for price, you can check edmunds.com and kbb.com to get an idea of price. Don't be afraid to offer the dealer closer to trade-in value...you can always go up. For reference, when I bought mine 3 years ago, the dealer was asking 46 and we settled on 38.5.
Old 12-23-04, 01:28 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Does some one have a list of items that should of been changed for the 30K service?

Thanks
From what I understand, that can varry by dealership. Although I do not remember everything on my 30k service I do recall the following:
Oil change and filter
Rear Diff Oil change
Trans flush
Cooling sys flush
Brake fluid flush
New AC cabin filter (in place of engine filter - I have a K&N drop-in)
a bunch of inspection stuff
and a few cookies and soda to go
Cost was 400 --- at bit high but Lexus Service is not cheap. Local Procare wanted almost the same but they did not include a service car, cookies, and soda.
Old 12-23-04, 01:54 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

and a few cookies and soda to go

Cost was 400 --- at bit high but Lexus Service is not cheap. Local Procare wanted almost the same but they did not include a service car, cookies, and soda.
did you say cookies and a soda???

that IS a bargain.,...sign me up
Old 01-02-05, 01:00 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Default done deal

its a wrap.
I just picked up the car on Thursday and so far its everything i expected.
I will be posting pics up soon.
Old 01-02-05, 09:31 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

its a wrap.
I just picked up the car on Thursday and so far its everything i expected.
I will be posting pics up soon.
I checked market value of the car w/29k mi;
This is the real deal no kelly blue book ****. Off season prices.

Wholesale
above $26,463 average $24,363 below$22,163

Retail
$28,863 $26,663 $24,263

But the dealership paid way less.

Quick Reply: I've found a 01 GS430 need help in checking out the car