GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I've found a 01 GS430 need help in checking out the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 06:10 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've found a 01 GS430 need help in checking out the car / UPDATE - PICS POSTED Page 3

I recently seen an 01 Silver with black interior GS430 with 29K with Navi, 17in Chromes, spoiler and ML system going for $29,500 at a Lexus Dealer out in LI. I checked out the car and everything seemed perfect. Can anyone give my any advice when im looking at the car to make sure everything is ok? Or sound I just trust that since it is a Lexus Preowned certified car everything should be ok?
The car has some scratches on the bumper as well as some rock scratches as well as the small bottom panel under the fender was not flushed.
Can anyone help me out with how I should negotiate or check if the car is in good condition.
What do you think about the price?
Please help me out ASAP. I already put some money down so they would hold the car for me but they want to close the deal by the end of this year.

Thanks

Last edited by nyczdave; 05-18-05 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-21-04, 06:41 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 01 GS 3 years ago with 10M miles as certified. Unless you have heard negative things about your Lexus Dealership, you can be fairly certain that the car should be in good mechanical condition and has not been in any major accidents. In fact, the dealer should be able to pull all service records on the car and show them to you. As for other stuff like Body Condition, etc...
everything can be negotiated. Ie: Insist dealer provide latest update for Nav, Check condition of floor mats, if worn, insist on new ones, have dealer buff out scratches, or lower your offer price based on accepting existing scratches, dings, wheel curb rash etc.. as is. Also, make sure you get at least 2 sets of keys, all tires (including spare) should be brand new, and that the dealer performed the 30k service. Drive the car and drive a brand new one just to compare. If the car is good,( assuming there's no mods on the used one) there should be no difference between the New and Used other than that "new car smell" If you detect something in the way the car handles , shifts, etc... that just does not feel right, you may want to consider something else.
As for price, you can check edmunds.com and kbb.com to get an idea of price. Don't be afraid to offer the dealer closer to trade-in value...you can always go up. For reference, when I bought mine 3 years ago, the dealer was asking 46 and we settled on 38.5.
Old 12-21-04, 07:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a good deal to me
Old 12-21-04, 07:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think the good thing with preowned is that if there are problems later you can always go back, and now you have a longer warranty too i believe?

on the price, i will try to bargain them to about 27k, that's what i would pay. keep in mind the new GS is coming out soon, they want to sell
Old 12-21-04, 07:55 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

WOW 46 to 38.5
Damn thats a big difference.
This car is at Rockville Lexus i beleive this is a new dealership so i am nto sure what there quality of service is.

Originally Posted by rheiy
I bought my 01 GS 3 years ago with 10M miles as certified. Unless you have heard negative things about your Lexus Dealership, you can be fairly certain that the car should be in good mechanical condition and has not been in any major accidents. In fact, the dealer should be able to pull all service records on the car and show them to you. As for other stuff like Body Condition, etc...
everything can be negotiated. Ie: Insist dealer provide latest update for Nav, Check condition of floor mats, if worn, insist on new ones, have dealer buff out scratches, or lower your offer price based on accepting existing scratches, dings, wheel curb rash etc.. as is. Also, make sure you get at least 2 sets of keys, all tires (including spare) should be brand new, and that the dealer performed the 30k service. Drive the car and drive a brand new one just to compare. If the car is good,( assuming there's no mods on the used one) there should be no difference between the New and Used other than that "new car smell" If you detect something in the way the car handles , shifts, etc... that just does not feel right, you may want to consider something else.
As for price, you can check edmunds.com and kbb.com to get an idea of price. Don't be afraid to offer the dealer closer to trade-in value...you can always go up. For reference, when I bought mine 3 years ago, the dealer was asking 46 and we settled on 38.5.
Old 12-21-04, 07:56 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

The warrenty is 3 yrs up to 100K
Would you know when the new GS comes out?

Originally Posted by rominl
i think the good thing with preowned is that if there are problems later you can always go back, and now you have a longer warranty too i believe?

on the price, i will try to bargain them to about 27k, that's what i would pay. keep in mind the new GS is coming out soon, they want to sell
Old 12-21-04, 08:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nyczdave
The warrenty is 3 yrs up to 100K
Would you know when the new GS comes out?
i think the built date is written on the door jam on the driver side, forgot how you read it though
Old 12-21-04, 08:08 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Would you guys have any tip on any certain things I should look for on a used car besides the test drive?
Are CPO cars supposed to be given new cars?
They told me that they are only supposed to meet a certain requirement, is that true?
Old 12-21-04, 08:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as long as you're getting bumper to bumper warranty, your good.
make sure all body parts have sticker w/original vin on them. check for a wobble at around 60mph. make sure 30k service was done. ac cabin filter. moisture in headlights. no brake pulsation. car fax. and make sure original full size alloy spare's in trunk.

Last edited by chuckb; 12-21-04 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 08:28 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

WOW 46 to 38.5
This car is at Rockville Lexus i beleive this is a new dealership so i am nto sure what there quality of service is.

Rockville Center Lexus from my understanding is a satellite dealership for Lexus of Massapequa. My friend gets his SC400 serviced there and likes the service people better than Rallye Lexus. Good luck with the car. Sounds good, at least I know what I can get for my car, as I have all that but only 26K on it. Check the rear deck to see that the spoiler is factory installed as well and not dealer installed. If there is a 3rd brake light inside the car in the rear deck, you know it's a dealer installed option FYI!
Old 12-22-04, 05:44 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Dave....my man! just do it!!! it's well worth the price....and Rockville Centre Lexus is a great dealership....I told you they service my lexus!
Old 12-22-04, 01:43 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Would any know where I can find all the features CPO information? like what it covers.. adn what lexus has to fix for me before giving it to me.. and what nots..

Thanks
Old 12-22-04, 04:07 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Would any know where I can find all the features CPO information? like what it covers.. adn what lexus has to fix for me before giving it to me.. and what nots..

Thanks

ask and you shall receive

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/benefits/warranty.html

my badd bro.....my father's old boss told me tires were covered.... guess not
Old 12-22-04, 04:42 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW 46 to 38.5
Actually Lexus of Rocville Center is owned by the same people of Lexus of Massepequa. I personally thought I was served nicely there when I went to test drive an RX 330. Also I was shown the service area and all the other stuff too. By the way I think the price is pretty good cause I usually see GS 430s in the area going for $35,000.

Last edited by LexusChris; 12-22-04 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 04:58 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Actually Lexus of Rocville Center is owned by the same people of Lexus of Massepequa. I personally thought I was served nicely there when I went to test drive an RX 330. Also I was shown the service area and all the other stuff too. By the way I think the price is pretty good cause I usually see GS 430s in the area going for $35,000.
agreed.....the price on that car WAS $34,000 reduced to $31,000 and placed on special in an ad for $29,795.00

Quick Reply: I've found a 01 GS430 need help in checking out the car