GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

$520 explosion kit- 7pcs???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 03:05 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $520 explosion kit- 7pcs???

Saw this on ebay, any thoughts???explosion kit
Old 12-23-04, 03:14 PM
503-M3
Rookie

I believe it is a knock off. A friend of mine was looking into the kit on procarparts.com and the full kit doesn't say it but the individual pieces say "explosion style" I would be wary due to fitment issues and quality issues with knockoff body kits. it is cheap and when the real one is about 1600 (Group buy) price tough not to check it out. Good luck!!
Old 12-23-04, 04:21 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 503-M3
I believe it is a knock off. A friend of mine was looking into the kit on procarparts.com and the full kit doesn't say it but the individual pieces say "explosion style" I would be wary due to fitment issues and quality issues with knockoff body kits. it is cheap and when the real one is about 1600 (Group buy) price tough not to check it out. Good luck!!

word.....503 is right......besides...that kit listed there is fiberglass...you NEVER EVER EVER want a kit made out of fiberglass......

first off, fiberglass is cheap and thin........ when you bottom out with fiberglass, it doesn't chip or scratch, it CRACKS AND IT BREAKS!!!!!

ever see a riced out civic with half the bumper missing???? that's because the assclown driving it went out cheap, bought FG and it cracked off when he either hit someone or someone hit him.....

save the $$$ and buy a real polyurethane kit.....urethane is guaranteed never to crack....all it does is scratch

Old 12-23-04, 04:43 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY

save the $$$ and buy a real polyurethane kit.....urethane is guaranteed never to crack....all it does is scratch

you sure about that?.... my cracked Greddy POLYURETHANE front lip begs to differ. FRP is good...if you buy good quality.
Old 12-23-04, 04:51 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
you sure about that?.... my cracked Greddy POLYURETHANE front lip begs to differ. FRP is good...if you buy good quality.

well.......any reputable urethane company guarantees their work for life.......

so if urs is cracked, then hit up greddy for replacement

if greddy doesn't have such a warranty, then I dunno what to say past the fact that they are shady....

but greddy (trust) has been around on the modding scene since it's inception...greddy was the first company out there with a stainless steel flow through exhaust,....they gotta make good
Old 12-23-04, 07:59 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Hmm...most of the kits out there are fiberglass or FRP, bro. I mean there are probably less than 1% of companies that actually make PU kits unless they are OEM.
Old 12-23-04, 08:28 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
word.....503 is right......besides...that kit listed there is fiberglass...you NEVER EVER EVER want a kit made out of fiberglass......

first off, fiberglass is cheap and thin........ when you bottom out with fiberglass, it doesn't chip or scratch, it CRACKS AND IT BREAKS!!!!!

ever see a riced out civic with half the bumper missing???? that's because the assclown driving it went out cheap, bought FG and it cracked off when he either hit someone or someone hit him.....

Maybe cheap Fiberglass kits made in the USA. My JDM front bumper is really flexible and fit alot better than my Poly rear bumper. I pulled out of my driveway fast and hit the front real hard and bent the mounting holes on my fender for the bumper. It never even cracked just chipped the paint at the bottom. Poly IMO is crap. Really heavy and flimsy. The bumper just wiggles aroumd before it was mounted like a limp noodle LOL.
Old 12-23-04, 08:30 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
Hmm...most of the kits out there are fiberglass or FRP, bro. I mean there are probably less than 1% of companies that actually make PU kits unless they are OEM.
wow....disappointing and crazy......

the TTE is urethane?? isnt the l-sportline as welll??

i thought the better kits were urethane?

Old 12-23-04, 08:32 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doesn't most JDM parts are made of fg? If that's the case....and you don't like fg kits, then your selection will be limited....unless you buy knockoff US made kits.
Old 12-23-04, 08:37 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHML
Doesn't most JDM parts are made of fg? If that's the case....and you don't like fg kits, then your selection will be limited....unless you buy knockoff US made kits.
Actually most JDM kits are made of FRP. JDM Fiberglass is really thick and heavy doesnt really flex at all and really strong. JDM FRP is a fiberglass reinforced plastic which is much thinner and flexible. Most fake kits on ebay claim to be FRP but they are just cheap wavy 4 layer fiberglass.
Old 12-23-04, 08:37 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHML

see here im thinkin the opposite...i thought quality jdm was urethane and the garbage US stuff was FG

it's true FG is more flexible, when it's SOFT....but once its painted and hardened, it cracks like cracker...

urethane is much more durable
Old 12-23-04, 09:45 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL....well...im sure this discussion can go on and on and on.....

Whatever floats ur boat man!!!
Old 12-23-04, 10:15 PM
503-M3
Rookie

Basically the answer is quality whether its FG or Urethane. I would just be scared to buy lower priced body kits regardless of what it is made of due to quality and fit.
Old 12-23-04, 10:16 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A wise man once said, theres always downsides and upsides to everything..

Most kits from Japan are FG because it's much lighter than PolyU..So it's popular amoungest many tuners in Japan, especially drifters...But ironically, my FG JIC front bumper is almost 3 times the weight of my OEM front bumper because it's made of layers apon layers of FG..So it's simply built for durability to survive even in the toughest conditions..Heck, I live in NYC, the capital city of the toughest roads so it's been though pretty much everything, including surviving a 5 mph hit into a concrete wall...Even though I praise quality FG, it certainly does have it's downsides though. I do get some spiderline cracks on the bumper from much abuse but, it's not that noticeable..My front end gets resprayed every year or two anyways..

As an enthusiast, thats the price you have to pay to have your car look the way you want it to look..

FG or PolyU, the bottom line is you get what you paid for..Quality over quantity..

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 12-23-04 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-23-04, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Fiberglass, like basketball goals you buy for your home.

Quick Reply: $520 explosion kit- 7pcs???