GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Cost not a factor, 98-00 or 01+ taillights? And why?
98-00 taillights
13.33%
01+ taillights
86.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

2nd gen GS taillights - new or old style?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 09:38 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately the 98-00 style....especially with the cleared center. However, I dont get all the fuss about tail lights, and wouldnt spend money to upgrade them....but thats just me

Last edited by LexRoc; 12-27-04 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 10:49 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01+ for sure as this was one of my first mods, it some of my fellow GS buddies some time to warm up to the idea (they know who they are) but now they are glad they did, photo looks familiar btw.

Old 12-28-04, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
I've always preferred the '98-'00 tails. First time I saw the '01 tails at work, the first comment out of my mouth was "Reminds me of Acura tail lights" Though I've seen some accords with the same style lights as the '98-'00 tails, I still feel that nothing beats the "Original" Why pretend your car is something it's not. The only thing that would even make me consider updating my tails is if it were the Junction Produce tails. But I just cann't justify the $1300 price tag for a set of tail lights. Donn't get me wrong, I fully understand and appreciate what the process is to clear out those '01 tails. I guess what it boils down to is personal prefference. Get the taillights that you like the best, not the lights that everyone thinks you should get. Its your car not ours.
Will
you brought up a good point will, i wonder how many people upgrade the taillights just to make their car looks like a 01+, and how many upgrade coz' they think it's a better match for the car (subjective).

personally i upgraded coz' i think it looks better for the car. specially for the body color of my gs4, trying to upgrade to pretend the car is new is pretty dumb, coz' anyone who pays attention to the gs lineup knows 1) gs400 all should have the old taillights and 2) no spectra blue mica has the new taillights from factory
Old 12-28-04, 12:05 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehe,

Thanks for posting the photos on the gallery. I almost went out and took photos of my dad's 98 and my coworker's 01 just to compare the photos and then I realized that I could let my fingers and mouse do the walking.

What do you think about this though, it doesn't look like the white area for the backup lights is that large on the newer taillight. That being the case, it doesn't seem like it would be a lot of light if you were to backup and since it's not really that big vertically, the light may not really shine as high as the old school style of taillamp and make backing up a little harder with dimmer light.

Think that's an issue?

Anyone notice that change after making the mod?

Originally Posted by Indio
01+ for sure as this was one of my first mods, it some of my fellow GS buddies some time to warm up to the idea (they know who they are) but now they are glad they did, photo looks familiar btw.

Old 12-28-04, 10:32 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem whats so ever with the backing up.
Old 12-28-04, 10:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no problem here too, with the new taillights when i put it in reverse, everything in the back got light up nice
Old 12-28-04, 01:00 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

a long long time ago i would be 100% agree with you.. i liked old style too.. but once i put new one on.. i said i like new one better.. so i changed both old style to new style on my both GSes
Old 12-28-04, 06:07 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up 2001 tails look better

Just got the new ones on both cars.

Wife and I both think they look lots better

We drove both cars out on the freeway Christmas night and got to look at them from each others car. They are clear winners. I think that since they have more red they tie in better with those two little red lights.

3dog
Old 12-28-04, 09:35 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I have the older model tail lights, and i much rather prefer the new style tail lights. As many have said, they are classier, and more defined in the day time, also, adds the "new" look to your car. I say go with the 01+

John
Old 12-29-04, 10:41 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Default I decided to go with the new ones...

Despite my previous likings of the old style taillamps, I have decided to go with the newer ones. I called the shop today and they said it shouldn't be a problem if the wiring harness is the same as the original. I told him that I know of a few people who have made the change and they haven't mentioned anything about needing a wiring harness.

ummmm- right guys?

So anyway, I'm getting the new taillamps and if I end up not liking them I guess I can just swap with my dad since he has a spectra blue GS4 and they might look better on his car.

Or, I'll just swap them with someone on here later on.

What I've noticed is that they look nice on darker cars and not as great on lighter cars. I think it's because the large red sections are just so overpowering visually. Either way, I'm willing to try something new and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys and don't be surprised if I'm on here in a month willing to trade someone with the older taillights along with a little bit of cash. *cough*JohnGS4*cough*

Clifford
Old 12-29-04, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

actually, you need new wiring harness for the 01+ taillights. the bulbs are different for the 01+ taillights
Old 12-29-04, 01:28 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Default crap!!

Ok, so where can I get this new wiring harness and how much work is it to make the mod?

I really doubt the shop is going to try to do the mod for me and will opt to just put in the original style taillamp (which really wouldn't matter to me if it came down to it...).

Thanks Rominl!

Originally Posted by rominl
actually, you need new wiring harness for the 01+ taillights. the bulbs are different for the 01+ taillights
Old 12-29-04, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm, the roughly 300 bucks price from carson toyota, that includes the necessary wiring harness with new bulbs already
Old 12-29-04, 03:16 PM
Cobra V
Driver

i love the 01+ tails, hands down
Old 12-29-04, 07:48 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
Ok, so where can I get this new wiring harness and how much work is it to make the mod?

I really doubt the shop is going to try to do the mod for me and will opt to just put in the original style taillamp (which really wouldn't matter to me if it came down to it...).
If you get the wiring harness, it is completely plug and play. There is no mod needed to be done by the shop. I believe you can mod the current harness but that is more work. Like others said, you can get the whole thing from Carson or you can contact them about getting just the harness/bulb. The shop can also order it from their supplier.
Worst case, if the shop is willing to do it (and it should be at their cost), you can see if they will just let you do the harness out of pocket.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen GS taillights - new or old style?