GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Cost not a factor, 98-00 or 01+ taillights? And why?
98-00 taillights
13.33%
01+ taillights
86.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

2nd gen GS taillights - new or old style?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 09:49 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I called the shop!

I called the shop and asked what they bought yesterday. They said they purchased the entire 01+ assembly and so I verified that with a local dealership and they verified that the entire assembly comes with the wiring harness.

Also, mucho kudos to Carson Toyota... Those guys are offering the 01+ taillights for $330 a set. I called up Bell Lexus here in Phoenix, Arizona and those guys were asking $270 A SIDE!!

(This other guy's insurance company is going to rip him a new one!! haha!)

The guy at Bell Lexus also said that the lights on the trunk lid changed from 98-00 to 01+.

I couldn't tell a difference when looking at multiple photos... anyone out there know if there's a difference??

Thanks all!

c.

Originally Posted by Neo
If you get the wiring harness, it is completely plug and play. There is no mod needed to be done by the shop. I believe you can mod the current harness but that is more work. Like others said, you can get the whole thing from Carson or you can contact them about getting just the harness/bulb. The shop can also order it from their supplier.
Worst case, if the shop is willing to do it (and it should be at their cost), you can see if they will just let you do the harness out of pocket.
Old 12-30-04, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha when insurance is paying why go through the hassle

about the inner taillights, if it's different i would like to know how too. from the couple of sources i talked to they yield the same part number of all years?
Old 12-30-04, 11:08 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
The guy at Bell Lexus also said that the lights on the trunk lid changed from 98-00 to 01+.
I have not heard of new ones either but if the insurance will pay for new ones, you might consider swapping them anyway. The color does seem to fade over time (as with anything else) and putting new tails may makethe difference in color more evident. Some members have reported this as a problem.

If the new inner lights are "free", you might as well get matching new lights.
Old 01-20-05, 09:18 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got my car back!

The rear tail lights look great but the inner tail lights in the trunk look pink in comparison (it's a Mary Kay car!).

What have you guys all done to fix this??

I did a search and the SC guys are painting theirs... the LS guys are laying down red tape... what are the GS guys doing for the inner tail lights after the switch of the main tail lights?

Has anyone on here gone clear? If so- wanna sell your old ones?

c.

My old ones will go into my new addition to the house:

Old 01-20-05, 12:29 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear tail lights look great but the inner tail lights in the trunk look pink in comparison (it's a Mary Kay car!).

I did a search and the SC guys are painting theirs... the LS guys are laying down red tape... what are the GS guys doing for the inner tail lights after the switch of the main tail lights?

c.

Interesting...
Old 01-20-05, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

c.

man, pink? in that case your car must have been under the sun a lot that it fades out bad. anyway, i guess you should just get new ones
Old 01-21-05, 12:55 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WITHOUT A DOUBT....the 01+ tailights
Old 01-21-05, 04:19 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a white 99, debadged. I'm thinking more and more that the 01+ taillights are much cleaner design and would look much better on a debadged back end.
Old 01-21-05, 05:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by fasted1953
I've got a white 99, debadged. I'm thinking more and more that the 01+ taillights are much cleaner design and would look much better on a debadged back end.
then you should get it
Old 01-23-05, 10:09 AM
fasted1953
Driver

Had my taillights out last night to switch the reverse bulbs to Polarg M2's... what a difference. Anyway, while they were out, I was trying to envision what the swap would be like to the 01+ taillights. I assume the 4 mounting points are identical. Are they? And second, do you just use the same wiring and bulb sockets that are in there now, or is there wiring that needs to be swapped as well? Didn't see a plug for a taillight wiring harness. Is it further in, and do you need to peel back the trunk liner to get to it?

BTW, every time a GS goes by, I'm noticing how nice the 01+ taillights are. Must do this swap if its not a PITA.
Old 01-23-05, 05:09 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Hey, Nevermind. I did another search with better parameters and found a thread that had this link... http://www.somniplex.com/Dex/Dex%202...ght%20swap.pdf . It answered all my questions about the wiring harness.
Old 02-28-05, 07:38 PM
KYLEX
Driver

Man, that's a great how to doc for the tail light swap. Has anyone ever considered a group by from Carson Toyota?
Old 02-28-05, 08:56 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KYLEX
Man, that's a great how to doc for the tail light swap. Has anyone ever considered a group by from Carson Toyota?

I think they did that a while ago.
Old 02-28-05, 09:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup they had it long long time ago, i believe it was like 2002 or so. not their prices are almost at the minimum already anyway
Old 03-01-05, 05:02 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

imma stick with my 98-00 tails...i like the way they look at night...shares the same look as its LS brother...

Quick Reply: 2nd gen GS taillights - new or old style?