GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Glove box rattle!....Fifth time...No TSB????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-01, 06:46 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone.

Well, I just got my car back today. I had them pick it up for squeeking belts and the glove box rattle. They replaced all of the belts and supposedly fixed the rattle. No luck on the rattle...just as bad as before. Well, I printed out the TSB for it and had the driver give it to the service rep. He called later and said, "that is a tsb for a lx car, not a gs your model year." I was like ok, but it says '00 GS 400 on the TSB. Is this true? What should I do know...it is very annoying...music doesn't fix it. It has been in for that 5 unsuccessful times...

~Mike~
Old 05-11-01, 07:37 PM
gs4power
Driver

Cool

Hi Mike,

Ask your dealer for a copy of the following TSBs: NV020-98, NV003-00 and BO002-99. These deal with the rattles from the glove box. Try do do them yourself, I found the procedures to be very easy and I got rid of the rattles! I think at this point your dealer won't be of any help other than supplying the TSB copies.
Old 05-11-01, 08:09 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

But they said there was no TSB for my '00 GS4....just ask for those anyway?

Appreciate the help so far...thanks
Old 05-11-01, 09:09 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Smile WAIT!

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE

Don't do anything! I'm going to tell you how to fix it yourself right now!
Just tell me if I'm wrong in describing your problem:

Condition: Glove box makes a ticking noise while driving. Open the glove box door or gently push on door, noise is gone.

Cause: When glovebox light switch is pushed in, it makes the ticking noise.

Remedy: Put a small piece of felt with adhesive backing on the door where the pin switch touchs when the door is closed. By adding a small amount of additional pressure to the switch 9 out of 10 times the ticking noise will go away.

Hope that helps you out!

Old 05-12-01, 04:27 PM
gs4power
Driver

Cool

Yes, ask for them anyway!! TSBs are supposed to be production changes at the factory, but it is likely they were not implemented correctly on your 2000 model. Notice that TSB numbers have the model year at the end. The TSB NV003-00 corresponds to your model year, it deals with adding felt along the edge of the glove compartment panel assembly that contacts the dash pad (the top right corner).
Old 05-12-01, 06:35 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Again, I appreciate your help...from both of you...I will try to remedy it tonight and I will post back what happened tomorrow...sounds simple....

Any fixes for the rattle coming from the left of the steering wheel by the side window...hehe
Old 05-12-01, 11:01 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Wow...I just checked my glove box and geez of petes...there is a ton of felt in there...obviously the dealership tried, but it seems like at the locations where the pin for the light, there isn't much felt, so I am going to add some more there tomorrow....hopefully it works
Old 05-13-01, 01:15 AM
chowder
Driver

Any fixes for the rattle coming from the left of the steering wheel by the side window...hehe
i have this same one, still can't figure out where it's coming from. very inconsistent/unpredictable in occurrence and hard to trace to it's root (especially cause you have to drive it on rough roads to hear it).
Old 05-13-01, 12:05 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly...you have to drive over rough roads, but the rattle is very deceiving
Old 05-13-01, 02:43 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Devildogis300....I tried adding more felt and thank God it worked! After seeing all of the felt the dealership put everywhere, they never put any where the pin was...morons...well...just need to fix some more and I will be all set....Thanks again
Old 05-13-01, 06:18 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Devildogis300....I tried adding more felt and thank God it worked! After seeing all of the felt the dealership put everywhere, they never put any where the pin was...morons...well...just need to fix some more and I will be all set....Thanks again
YEA!

Old 05-13-01, 06:30 PM
lextek
Driver

Nice call DevilDog. Nice to see some "in the know" input.
I have seen that on ro's a million times. There is a TSB out on that rattle MikeGS4PE and it is for your model. The dealership needs to tighten up.
Old 05-15-01, 08:11 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Awesome. Fix worked for me first time! Thanks for the tip.

Peter
Old 05-15-01, 08:25 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

That is why this site is so great! I had a problem with my sunroof rattling, and because of you guys I finally got it fixed (totally replaced).
Old 05-15-01, 02:32 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

I may be stupid for asking... but where can I pick up the stuff you guys are using.... I'm still having issues with my 2001 glove box and would like to attack the problem on my own.

Also, I've been hearing a bit of rattling to the left of the steering wheel as well. I have recently discovered the sound may actually be coming from below the dash, for when I push the top of my left foot up (and slightly right) instead of resting on the foot rest, the noise seems to go away.... it's been bothering me though and would like to figure out a permanent fix.

Now, if I could only decrease the wind noise from my sunroof....

Quick Reply: Glove box rattle!....Fifth time...No TSB????