GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

All 4 headlights have condensation in them!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 01:50 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1SICKLEX,

My car had all the maintenance records, had low mileage (31K), looked like new inside out, certified, and didn't show any sign of problem in the first month.

It's funny that every car I bought new didn't have any problem for 4-5 years of ownership and 2 cars I bought as used, less than 3 yr old, had problems.

2-3 year used cars are mostly either have problems or an accident so the owner sold it or return from lease. In any of the cases, you are depending on more of luck when buying used than new.

I need to save up and no more used car for me in the future
Old 12-29-04, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
1SICKLEX,

My car had all the maintenance records, had low mileage (31K), looked like new inside out, certified, and didn't show any sign of problem in the first month.

It's funny that every car I bought new didn't have any problem for 4-5 years of ownership and 2 cars I bought as used, less than 3 yr old, had problems.

2-3 year used cars are mostly either have problems or an accident so the owner sold it or return from lease. In any of the cases, you are depending on more of luck when buying used than new.

Again, very sorry to hear this, seems you got one of the few GSs with more issues than usual. The GS is built in the world reknown Tahera plant, considered the finest in the world.

With used, you are still taking a chance. I have never bought a new car and have been lucky thus far.
Old 12-29-04, 02:25 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am noticing more and more Lexus newbs who truly expect things to be perfect and its getting a lil sickning. Sorry but Lexus does have faults.
I agree with this 100%. Lately everytime I get on looking to see about new mods or new Gs parts that are on peoples cars. Theres always Newbs complaining about little things that will eventually happen to there gs. Like "the paint chips easy" or "how come my car sits lower on the left .0003566". We need to start another forum where we can nitpick all the faults of the GS
Old 12-29-04, 02:37 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on guys... condensation in the headlights happening as early as 20k miles into ownership... but almost guarenteed to happen to most GSes eventually, with the fix costing a grand, maybe two. That's pretty rediculous.

You guys seem to be taking this a little too personally. You said yourself... Lexuses are not perfect. So when they require unusual repairs, is it not OK to do a little ranting and maybe hope somebody might have some ideas on how to fix it or at least a 'virtual' pat on the back and a "you're not the only one... don't worry".

Yeah this guy seems to be going a little over the deep end talking about selling his car just because of the headlight moisture problem. Heck... the taxes on his next car will cost more than the headlights even if he pays full retail price for a brand new set of them. But that doesn't keep his reason for complaining for being valid.

Headlight condensation is apparently a very common problem with ours cars. I'd dare say just about as common as the Acura TL's transmission failure problems. And realistically the failures are happening within about the same time frame. You know what else is interesting? The retail price to buy two new xenon headlights for our car is really about the same as the price of rebuilding the transmission on the TL.

Yet Honda recognized that even if these transmissions failed outside of warranty, it was an obvious design defect on Honda's part, and so they extended the warranty to keep people from being scared off by risk of after-warranty failure.

I know that water in the headlights is not on par with a transmission failing... but in terms of time frame and cost to repair it is... it just doesn't get as much attention because it doesn't become such a nusance to most GS owners (I'd bet most non-enthusiast owners probably never even notice this issue).
Old 12-29-04, 02:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm.... i am always wondering.... why not just get new headlights housing? a set of new headlight housing they are *only* about 300 to 400 bucks a pairlast time i checked. no one tells you to get everything including new ballasts, bulbs, and computer....

i am sure that's a lot cheaper than the tl tranny
Old 12-29-04, 02:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
1SICKLEX,

like sick said, i am sorry what you have gone through with your car too. but seriously, that's the thing with used car, you might have records on everything, but you don't know the true history to the car. we got our car used only coz' we knew the owner before, otherwise we always prefer new. that's why all our other cars are/were bought new
Old 12-29-04, 03:03 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

condensation in the headlights happening as early as 20k miles? I wish. I have in mine next day I purchase the car with 25 miles on them, yes 25 not 25K! So what, dealer put new headlights on my car and no problem.Then after 2 years I did HID projector retro so I have to open my headlights.Aftre retro was done and headlights back again this is no condensation at all, so if You search You can fix the problem and don't have to sell Your's car.It's no way I sell my LEXUS because have condensation problem.I can live with problems like this then problems with engine or transmission.You don't have to buy new headlights just fix ones You have.
Old 12-29-04, 03:13 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Man, he was serious...the car is for sale in the classifieds. It's your car, you can do whatever you want with it, but to sell it just because of this issue seems a little extreme.

I mean, if you sell a car just because of problems, like everyone has pointed out, every used car will have issues. I have condensation too, I am pretty **** about my car too, but considering what other owners experience with other car companies, I'll deal w/ the condensation if that's the only downside of the car (knocks on wood).

In any case, good luck with the sale of your car. The lips on the rear tires are
Old 12-29-04, 03:30 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

WOW, this is good one. I hope price is low, You can't get good price for car with condensation in the headlights
Old 12-29-04, 04:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by r00kie
Man, he was serious...the car is for sale in the classifieds. It's your car, you can do whatever you want with it, but to sell it just because of this issue seems a little extreme.

I mean, if you sell a car just because of problems, like everyone has pointed out, every used car will have issues. I have condensation too, I am pretty **** about my car too, but considering what other owners experience with other car companies, I'll deal w/ the condensation if that's the only downside of the car (knocks on wood).

In any case, good luck with the sale of your car. The lips on the rear tires are
seriously, forget about used car. even getting a new car would have problem. my sc430 already has a rattle on the door...
Old 12-29-04, 04:38 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Hey rominl, I am with You on this. 25 miles on mine and condensation in headlights. Nothing is perfect but Lexus is very close
Old 12-29-04, 04:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by slawek65
Hey rominl, I am with You on this. 25 miles on mine and condensation in headlights. Nothing is perfect but Lexus is very close
yup, to be frank i wouldn't be happy if it happens on my car with 25 miles, but you just hvae to realize the big picture and what you are getting, and get real about it. just like my sc430, i got the rattle since 50 miles, of course i am not satisfied, but just be positive and get it fixed.

as for my gs4, it's way out of warranty too. if there is a bad rattle or so and i have to pay to fix, i will. at least i know the car is still good
Old 12-29-04, 05:12 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 98 GS4 used, and it too has its imperfections, one of them being the condensation in the headlights. But like everyone has pretty much touched on already, its not that serious. Ive read a couple of threads on how to bake the headlights and reseal them, and may take on that DIY project in the months ahead, or just pickup some used/new headlights off of ebay and put in an HID conversion kit.

If you can afford a new car, by all means do so, but to go to such lengths to sell your car over small things that can be remedied through suggestions and recommendation by fellow CL members seems extreme (to me at least).

Good luck with the sale of your car....just be sure to mention to potentional buyers that the headlights have condensation...
Old 12-29-04, 05:33 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Well, I called Lexus customer service yesterday.I spoke to a really nice lady and said that "Lexus" would offer me a gesture of good will and replace them.I go over to the dealership today and speak with the service manager.He then says" customer service CANNOT offer goodwill gestures".He then states that "lexus might help me out but I would have to pay for a major portion of the lights.If it gets approved by the district manager.The car just past the warranty by 6500 miles.
I told him that a $51k car should not start having problems as soon as the warranty is over and so on.I am so freakin' pissed right now, I want to get rid of this car!!!I have to wait till after the new year to see what they will do for me but it won't be free.I think this is B.S and Lexus should fix this regardless of where I bought the car, it's their product.I hate Lexus right now and if I have to pay for the lights, I am going to sell the car and buy something else.I shoukd have gone with Infiniti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow talk about being harsh about something so miniscule.

1. you should have done your homework before you made your purchase

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710 - problem solved.
Old 12-29-04, 06:27 PM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

This guy must be joking LOL. Honestly if a lexus is not reliable enough for him then maybe he should get a 745Li, that might float his boat. 51k miles and the first problem encountered is condensation inthe headlights, i'd say thats pretty ****ing good. You live and you learn. Infiniti's are great cars, but I just consider that degrading

Quick Reply: All 4 headlights have condensation in them!!