GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lazy Remote GS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 08:00 AM
plparrish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Remote GS400

I read that door actuators can be a problem in our cars, but I'm having problem with my key fob and wondered if anyone could help. The unlock button seems to work well, but I'm having trouble getting the lock button to work. I find that on occassion I have to manually lock the doors because the remote won't work. I can hear the actuators trying to close, but the headlights don't blink and the doors won't lock. I've replaced the batteries - still having trouble. Anybody have a similar experience and has come up with a fix? Appreciate the help.
Old 12-30-04, 09:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

do you have the same problem if you try to use the lock button inside the car to lock the doors? sounds like a actuator problem to me

when you press on the lock botton on the key, the light lights up? if so, then the key should be ok

have you tried the other master key?
Old 12-30-04, 03:08 PM
plparrish
Driver School Candidate

I think you're probably right. When I tried using the interior lock button, all doors worked with the exception of the driver's door. Looks like I'll be in the market for a new actuator. From what I've read, this isn't really a do-it-yourself project. What's a reasonable price for having the actuator replaced? Thanks
Old 12-30-04, 03:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by plparrish
I think you're probably right. When I tried using the interior lock button, all doors worked with the exception of the driver's door. Looks like I'll be in the market for a new actuator. From what I've read, this isn't really a do-it-yourself project. What's a reasonable price for having the actuator replaced? Thanks
actually it's a diy, that's a common problem for gs owners and a lot of people just get the actuators and replace them themselves. i have never done that before though (yet, knock on wood).

there is another thread about potential groupbuy on the actuators, A LOT cheaper. you might wanna check it out
Old 01-02-05, 11:37 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

I have this problem as well.......just the lock button is messed up from time to time.
Now , if you can lock the doors from the main door switch doesn't it mean that the actuators are working OK? I have this feeling that its the remote thats having problems.
Old 01-04-05, 03:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by liquidsilver
I have this problem as well.......just the lock button is messed up from time to time.
Now , if you can lock the doors from the main door switch doesn't it mean that the actuators are working OK? I have this feeling that its the remote thats having problems.
if the door lock button works fine all the time, yes. but he said that even with that button, the driver door still doesn't look sometimes?
Old 01-04-05, 09:29 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
if the door lock button works fine all the time, yes. but he said that even with that button, the driver door still doesn't look sometimes?
"The unlock button seems to work well, but I'm having trouble getting the lock button to work. I find that on occassion I have to manually lock the doors because the remote won't work."

I think he is saying that he sometimes has to use the Power Lock button instead of keyless entry because the Lock button on the remote is having issues. This is the exact same problem I'm having. With my remote, I would have to push the "lock" button extra hard with my fingertip and it would work only 75percent of time......if I normally push the lock button on the remote, it wont work 80percent of time. Definitely remote.
Old 01-04-05, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

but in the second post he said this?

"When I tried using the interior lock button, all doors worked with the exception of the driver's door."
Old 01-04-05, 10:21 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
but in the second post he said this?

"When I tried using the interior lock button, all doors worked with the exception of the driver's door."
Doh!! My bad......U da man.
Old 01-04-05, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by liquidsilver
Doh!! My bad......U da man.
nah, it's all good let's wait and see if plparrish has more info coming in
Old 01-04-05, 03:09 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

Hi Guys, Just thought I should add to this post....

I have recently have been experiencing the same problem.

My key stops working all together... No lock, No unlock, Nothing..... Then I start the car in the morning and everything is fine again.

Again during the day it returns and stops working, then it comes back...

I just changed battery at lexus dealer so I know its not that... My car is using optima yellow(Brand New) so I know thats not the problem....
Can U shed some light into this.....?
Old 01-04-05, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and you changed the battery on the key too?
Old 01-14-05, 03:05 PM
plparrish
Driver School Candidate

I've been out of town and just got back and read the responses to my post. I'm convinced I have a bad actuator. The keb fob will not open or close the drivers door, and the inside lock does nothing to help. I must manually push the lock button closed on the driver's door, or use the key to lock and unlock the car. Local Lexus dealer wants close to $500 for parts and labor. Can anyone tell me, or show me, how to pull the door panel off the driver's door so I can get to the actuator? I'll probably try buying a new unit from Carson and see if I can't install the thing myself. Thanks
Old 01-14-05, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

where in cali are you in? if you are close to some of us, i think someone can just help you with the install
Old 01-15-05, 07:44 AM
plparrish
Driver School Candidate

I'm located in Fresno. Do you know anyone close? I have yet to order a new actuator, but that's next - either that or take it to Lexus. Thanks

Quick Reply: Lazy Remote GS400