GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

3M film / Stoneguard / Nose Mask

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-01, 01:43 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the best way to protect the front of the car from chips, scratches, etc?

I thought about using a nose mask (nose bra), but it doesn't look too good on a car unless its black.

I am thinking about the 3M film or stoneguard kit. Are there any other alternatives besides those?

The stoneguard complete kit is pretty expensive, $501 plus shipping & handling. Any cheaper but similar alternatives?

The partial kit costs only $227 (a difference of $274 from the full kit price of $501) and the difference is that the partial kit doesn't include the bumper covers. But the full kit doesn't "fully" protect the bumper anyway, only the top and bottom parts, it does not protect the middle of the bumper.

A whole new bumper cost about $225 for the GS (not painted), and I guess to paint new one and to remove old one install new one would cost another $100 more.
Or if the chips are not that bad on the bumper, you can simply get it sanded & painted for about a $100.

Therefore, I am thinking about maybe just getting the partial kit for about $227. And just painting the bumper when and if I need to, which I don't think I will cause the plastic bumper will be able to withstand rocks and scratches better than the hood and side view mirrors. Actually I could go through painting the bumper twice and would still be saving compared to getting the full kit which includes bumper protection.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-12-01, 01:54 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my concern is more on the front part of the hood. like you said, to repaint the bumper is really no big deal. though the nose bra does not look good on lighter color car, to protect the paint, i would not mind.

if the partial kit is to your satisfaction, no need for the full kit, waay too much$$$.
Old 05-15-01, 08:00 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

do you guys recommend that I put the film on myself or have a pro do it. Would a tinting guy be able to do it? and how much should it cost for a pro to do it, how much did you guys pay at lexus for them to do it?
Old 05-16-01, 05:48 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nanotech,
There is another product called xpel, but as I understand it 3M makes both xpel and stonegard. From reading posts on the BMW board, there are different versions dependant on the color of the car. One has a satin type finish, good for lighter colored cars like the gold or silvers, and the other is completely clear for darker colors like black. Also from the BMW board, all the kits are apparently quite difficult to install, a number of folks had it removed due to excessive bubbles, creases, etc... If you are interested in this (it does seem like a good alternative to bras), I would contact the manufacturers and have them recommend an installer in your area. When spending that kind of money, I wouldn't wan't just anyone messing around with my Lexus (if I had one )
Good luck,
Eric
Old 05-16-01, 07:41 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Question The Search For The GS

Eric,

Tried to send you a pm but can't. Do you have pm turned off?

Anyhow how's the hunt for your GS coming along?

Old 05-16-01, 10:29 AM
Rich

X-pel (I think it's x-pel.com) lists their "approved" installers in various areas.
Old 05-16-01, 10:32 AM
ARIST
Rookie

Default $270 for bumper?

you got ripped! it's only $80 on my cost book.

- ARIST
Old 05-28-01, 08:48 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

If I put the 3M film on my car, would it make any difference in color/shine when I wax/wash the car?

Will the film EVER peel off? 100 degree heat? rain for 2 days in a row? My GS never goes through any of that, ofcourse, but I am just wondering about the durability of this product.

And if it doesn't hold wax/polish well, then should I polish it using Zaino and make it perfect before I apply the stoneguard?

What have you people done before you put stoneguard in your cars?
Old 05-28-01, 08:51 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Also, ARIST, where can you get a bumper for $80? and what kind of "cost book" do you have? where can I get a "cost book" from?

thanks
Old 05-28-01, 09:48 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Nanotech:

Don't waste your money. Those films are basically a translucent contact paper that protect the paint. But they usually look worse than a chipped bumper. The plastic film scratches and clouds easily. In fact waxing or Zaino-ing the stuff will make it look worse. Since they are basically a plastic, the only stuff that makes them shine is Brillianize which can be purchased in Pet Stores. It's made to clean plexiglass fish tanks. Also since it is a plastic, it stretches and contracts with heat and cold. You'll soon get bubbling, then if water gets under a part of it or dirt, it will never stick right.

I guess if you were running Pro-Rallys, you may need them. But for the street, it's cheaper and better to get the bumper painted as need be.
Old 05-28-01, 10:36 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know the quality of the Colgan Custom Nose masks that CarParts.Com sell??

Just curious..

Ken
Old 05-28-01, 11:02 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks a lot for the info David, I had almost decided to purchase and install a kit. I guess you are right, it doesnt' really cost all that much to get it painted anyway, I supposed maybe 600 for the entire front-end, and I don't think it will need any painting anyway since I try to keep my car as clean as possible and in tip-top condition !

That crosses out one thing from my "GS Upgrade" list !