GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What motor oil for your GS4 synthetic or reg

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-05, 07:01 AM
joeydingo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil 1 SuperSyn all the way. There have been a lot of UOAs (used oil analysis) posted on the Bobistheoilguy.com website showing outstanding results on Toyota engines with Mobil 1. Our engines work very well with this oil. There are many very good alternatives (Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple to name a few) but they are all significantly more expensive and can't usually be found at the local Wallyworld (often on sale) like Mobil 1.
Old 01-01-05, 08:01 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 for my GS430. Have used synthetics for over 25 years now, as well as oil analysis....Mobil 1 is great for the Lexus engines....
Old 01-01-05, 12:52 PM
SRK
Driver

Mobil 1 5W-30 in my LS and GS. And every car I have owned prior to them for the last twenty years.
Old 01-01-05, 06:11 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

It's not recommended to use synthetic on a new or low mi car/truck. Seems there is different numbers for different cars. 25,000kms+ seems to be a generalization.
Old 01-01-05, 06:57 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Mobil 1 in my current GS4 and my previous LS4. My LS4 had 95K miles when I traded it.
Old 01-01-05, 07:07 PM
SRK
Driver

Originally Posted by Hollywood
It's not recommended to use synthetic on a new or low mi car/truck.
Many new cars come with Mobil synthetic from new, filled on the assembly line. Porsche, Jag, Aston Martin, Chev Corvette, AMG, BMW M series. Eventually all cars will have synthetic.
Old 01-01-05, 08:06 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know what the previous owner used......I'm using Mobil 1.
Old 01-01-05, 08:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do dealers usually have Mobil 1 synthetic & if so how much extra do they charge? Do you guys really notice a performance difference?
Old 01-01-05, 09:56 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

ok,

im just getting into this synthetic oil thing and as i can see mobile 1 is a good oil!

Now at my local car shop they want to charge 69.99 for a oil change so i THINK i can save alittle if i buy my own oil and just have them put it in!

The question is what type of oil should i get for example there is 5W-30, 10w-40 and ect....

How do i know the right one to get and which one is best for Winter/Summer and whats the difference in the numbers???

Thanks!

P.S. if there is anything else i need to know please fill me in! Thx guys!
Old 01-01-05, 11:21 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SRK
Many new cars come with Mobil synthetic from new, filled on the assembly line. Porsche, Jag, Aston Martin, Chev Corvette, AMG, BMW M series. Eventually all cars will have synthetic.

All the cars you listed are elite cars for starters ( I personally cant confim these come with synthetic nor will I argue it)..

Most other cars come with standard or a heavy starter oil used to brake in the new engine. Even when you rebuild an egnine you are never supposed to use synthetic off the bat. Unless your a fan of blow by and other consequences.

Standard oil molocules very in size, this allows them to fill in imperfections and even block very small leaks as the different size molocules bunch up and almost act as liquid patchwork. Synthetic on the other hand all the oil molocules are the same size. So in some higher KM vehicles the switch to syntheic may create leaks.
Old 01-02-05, 12:34 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Mitsu Lancer EVO VIII comes with Mobil 1 from the factory (and this car is NOT elite).
Old 01-02-05, 12:35 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia
ok,

im just getting into this synthetic oil thing and as i can see mobile 1 is a good oil!

Now at my local car shop they want to charge 69.99 for a oil change so i THINK i can save alittle if i buy my own oil and just have them put it in!

The question is what type of oil should i get for example there is 5W-30, 10w-40 and ect....

How do i know the right one to get and which one is best for Winter/Summer and whats the difference in the numbers???

Thanks!

I really don't remember....but you can find out easily. Open the owner's manual and read OR go out to the car, pop the hood, and look at the oil cap. It should say on the cap.
Old 01-02-05, 06:13 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia
my local Jiffy lube does a Mobile1 change for $50, 5W-30 or 10W-30, my choice. Since Mobil1 and a filter cost me ~$35 w/tax, $15 for labor seems cheap, esp since my town stopped picking up used oil

The 02 Lex owner's manual says to use either 5W-30 or 10W-30, depending on how cold it gets in your area. Here in Chicago, I drive ~8K-10K miles per year. I change my oil twice a year, April and November. In April, I use Mobil1 10W-30, in Nov I, change to Mobile1 5W-30.

ya, it's important to change your brake/trans/PS fluids and coolant too.
Old 01-02-05, 07:45 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hollywood
All the cars you listed are elite cars for starters ( I personally cant confim these come with synthetic nor will I argue it)..

Most other cars come with standard or a heavy starter oil used to brake in the new engine. Even when you rebuild an egnine you are never supposed to use synthetic off the bat. Unless your a fan of blow by and other consequences.

Standard oil molocules very in size, this allows them to fill in imperfections and even block very small leaks as the different size molocules bunch up and almost act as liquid patchwork. Synthetic on the other hand all the oil molocules are the same size. So in some higher KM vehicles the switch to syntheic may create leaks.
FYI Thisi disputes what the MObil1 website says.

From the site

Don't Just Take Our Word For It
Mobil 1® comes as standard equipment in some of the finest production vehicles you can buy. It's "factory fill" in Chevrolet Corvette, all Porsches, Mercedes-Benz AMG models, Dodge Viper, Ford Mustang Cobra R and all Aston Martin cars. Here are some remarks from some of the top engineers and executives at these renowned manufacturers.
Old 01-02-05, 09:28 AM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

ok that break down was pretty good, 5w-30 winterish & 10w-30 for summerish
it's important to change your brake/trans/PS fluids and coolant too.

when do i do this..what is this service called? i had my car since march i dont think i had that done when i go into the oil place i just ask for a oil change & filter
ohhhh boy!!

Let me know! Thanks

Quick Reply: What motor oil for your GS4 synthetic or reg