GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What motor oil for your GS4 synthetic or reg

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 10:07 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
FYI Thisi disputes what the MObil1 website says.

From the site

Don't Just Take Our Word For It
Mobil 1® comes as standard equipment in some of the finest production vehicles you can buy. It's "factory fill" in Chevrolet Corvette, all Porsches, Mercedes-Benz AMG models, Dodge Viper, Ford Mustang Cobra R and all Aston Martin cars. Here are some remarks from some of the top engineers and executives at these renowned manufacturers.
Thanks for the fact backup. But again these are elite cars, some of the engines above are even hand built. If they are designed to take it from day one then they are designed for it.

Or talk to an engine machine shop ask them if its a good idea to put synthetic on your new rebuilt aftermarket honda, DSM, nissan, mustang 5L, supra motor and they will laugh at you.

Go ask yor ford service depot mechanic if its a good idea to put synthetic right away in a new F150, or a new WRX. The service manual has the information on what is best for the car. And if it is standard oil, then that's what it is designed for. Sure after a long break in it's ok to switch.
Old 01-02-05, 11:00 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hollywood
...some of the engines above are even hand built. If they are designed to take it from day one then they are designed for it....
GM's engines aren't hand built. They use the exact same bearings and rings in the Vette motors and the truck motors. GM doesn't care if you use dino oil or synth, nothing said about break-in period. They've recommend synth in the Vette ever since they dropped the oil cooler, synth runs cooler than dino.
Old 01-02-05, 11:48 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
GM's engines aren't hand built. They use the exact same bearings and rings in the Vette motors and the truck motors. GM doesn't care if you use dino oil or synth, nothing said about break-in period. They've recommend synth in the Vette ever since they dropped the oil cooler, synth runs cooler than dino.
I said some were hand built.

I used to have a 01 chev blazer. Dealer ship refused to change oil to synthetic, they said I had to wait till 50k and that they encountered problems changing it too early in the past.

I am an advocate of mobil1 and royal purple, trust me. I am not saying its bad for lexus cars. I'm saying there are certain precautions. We can dispute this and that, but the bottom line is there are certain risks involved in certain applications. If I have me Lexus v8 for example with both the heads fully rebuilt and machined with new cams, valves, springs, etc, I would not use synthetic till 3000 KM's have gone by.
Old 01-02-05, 11:57 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some say not too use synthetic on a new motor because the rings don't seat properly.
Old 01-02-05, 11:59 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

I used to have a 01 chev blazer. Dealer ship refused to change oil to synthetic, they said I had to wait till 50k and that they encountered problems changing it too early in the past....
Same bearings and rings as the Vette, Vette never sees dino, dealer says wait 50K miles to switch a Blazer and sells Vettes with 0miles w/synth? LOL, GM dealer sux as bad as their interiors. I gave up listening to those bozos years ago.

We can dispute this...
I'm not disputing you, just pointing out facts that are in conflict with some commonly held beliefs/statements about synth oil.
Old 01-02-05, 12:07 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
Correct me if I'm wrong, but some say not too use synthetic on a new motor because the rings don't seat properly.
Ya thats how you get the blow by. Syntheic is not forgiving for imperfections over standard oil, which is back to the different size oil molocules over the same size.

Picture there is a hole in your back yard. You have kids that run all the time so you dont want them to trip over it after filling it. You have the choice to use dirt chunks all the same size or dirt ****** of all different sizes to fill the hole. Obviously the different size chunks fill the hole much better. I hope that reference helps.

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
LOL, GM dealer sux as bad as their interiors. I gave up listening to those bozos years ago.
Agreed stealerships suck, I just took there word for it due to they have probly worked on 1000's of blazers.
Old 01-02-05, 02:32 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Re; Synthetic Motor Oil

It's not recommended to use synthetic on a new or low mi car/truck. Seems there is different numbers for different cars. 25,000kms+ seems to be a generalization.
There are some car manufacturers who use Mobil 1 Super Syn motor oil as factory fill oil..... Chevrolet Corvette, Mercedes, etc., and others I can't think of right now. I don't know where the 25,000 mile generalization comes in.
Old 01-02-05, 09:11 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gcrim21

There are some car manufacturers who use Mobil 1 Super Syn motor oil as factory fill oil..... Chevrolet Corvette, Mercedes, etc., and others I can't think of right now. I don't know where the 25,000 mile generalization comes in.
Uhh....you might want to read the whole thread before posting. This was previously covered. It was pointed out that specific vehicles have synthetic from the factory not the whole factory lineup.
Old 01-02-05, 09:20 PM
SRK
Driver

Modern engines are built with far better machining methods than those in the past. Consequently most simply do not require a "break-in" period as older engines did. Any modern engine can use synthetic from the start and not have excessive oil consumption. I have built many engines that have be converted to synthetic at 500 miles and they showed no oil consumption increase. Most burn less.
Those cars using synthetic for a factory fill do so because the engines require greater protection from the high perfomance duty they will encounter, and not because they are somehow different in the piston-ring-cylinder wall interface. They are built in much the same way, but as they are expected to be worked harder, the factory uses synthetic to help them achieve the warranty period.
Old beliefs die hard.
Old 01-02-05, 09:25 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Use Mobil 1 Syn and call it a day....
Old 01-02-05, 11:29 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synthetic 5W-30.
Old 01-04-05, 03:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

mobil 1 all the time, without second thought
Old 01-04-05, 09:03 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes Mobil 1 better than the other synthetics like Penzoil and Valvoline? Is it better for OUR cars or better in general?

I just told the guys at JiffyLube to use Synthetic 5w-30. I'm pretty sure the brand was Penzoil.

Enlighten me
Old 01-04-05, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

for me i just want something that's reasonably good synthetic. i don't need superior stuff like the amsoil coz' i change my oil every 3000 miles, so i just go with the easy stuff (mobil 1) that i can get at costco for relatively cheap price
Old 01-04-05, 11:29 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Synthetic vs Dino oil

Guys, I think as long as you change your oil every 3 mo. or 3k miles, it doesn't matter. Not very many people ask for the synthetic at work. We might see it requested 3 or 4 times in a year. I have tried switching to castrol syntech in the Honda I use to have after about 70k miles. I did the timing belt, water pump, cam and front crank seals at that milage. And for some reason the cam seals started leaking oil onto the timing belt. So I had to replace the timing belt, cam seals and crank seals again after a month. I inspected the seals before I replace them and cold not find any reason why they would leak. I came to the conclusion that the cause of the leak was due to the Syntech. I don't mean to start a big debate over syntetic vs dino oil, this is just what I experienced with this product. Also, I wondered If the fellas that did make the switch to syntetic really notice any undisputable difference/improvements/positive gains. I welcome any if you have it.
Now, my wife and I recently purchased a Certified Preowned BMW 330i and the owners manual and the dealership we bought it from said it uses "BMW Highperformance synthetic oil or equivalent with the specification of API SH or higher." So I figured if I have to use it in the Bimmer then maybe I'd try it in the GS. Let's hope I have a positive outcome this time. Wish me luck, Boys!!! I'll post up if I find something "undisputable"
Will

Quick Reply: What motor oil for your GS4 synthetic or reg