GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Upgrade '99 OEM NAVI, or get entire new System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 10:01 AM
NileLegend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade '99 OEM NAVI, or get entire new System?

I have a 1999 GS 300 with the Lexus Navigation system (HD based). It has never been upgraded and is running on very old maps. I have been told that it costs around $300-400 to upgrade it, but at the same time the maps really don’t get much better, and don’t include Canada (which would be nice to have).

There are three options I have:

1. Upgrade Current Navi system

2. Add a new navi system with Screen and mount it somewhere near the center (May be difficult I need your opinions on where to put it)

3. Totally remove and sell OEM navigation system, Buy new climate controls, and purchase a brand new Navi system (This is a more difficult process, but it is an option.)

What do you guys think., and how difficult would it be to remove current Navi, and install new climate controls and new navi system??

Thanks

Last edited by NileLegend; 01-02-05 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-02-05, 06:57 PM
Ishinc
Driver

supposedly, you get 2 free upgrades with your navi. i'm sure others will chime in soon, also i remember reading about it from past treads...
Old 01-02-05, 07:47 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well upgrading the navigation will be the cheapest and easiest route. When you upgrade the navigation softtware it doesn't get better it just adds the new streets and POIs.

Taking out the OEM navigation is really easy. Just take out the screen and go in the trunk and take out the navigation ecu box and gps antenna.

I have the OEM navigation and I like it. The only reason why I think some people take out their OEM navi is if they want to put a really nice audio sound system.
Old 01-02-05, 11:56 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

From my own experience, the upgrades are going to depend on your dealer...Called mine up, they said they'd charge me about 300$ to upgrade it....

Have a 99 GS300
Old 01-03-05, 12:21 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NileLegend

3. Totally remove and sell OEM navigation system, Buy new climate controls, and purchase a brand new Navi system (This is a more difficult process, but it is an option.)

nile, if you do indeed do this and get a new navi system, please, PLEASE keep me in mind as i would be VERY interested in taking the navi off your hands. THANKS
Old 01-03-05, 10:36 AM
NileLegend
Rookie

I spoke to my dealer and they want $300+ for the updgrade. Does anyone have a list of the cities that have been added or that are on the last HD version of the Navi system?

Also, would removing the OEM navigation system negatively affect my car in any way?

Thanks
Old 01-04-05, 03:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if i were you, i would just do the nav upgrade (300 bucks). that should get you a lot more data. unles you are doing a full blown system, i wouldn't get a new nav in.

ripping everything off and putting in the newer nav (i suppose dvd?) is doable, but i really wouldn't look into that unless you get tons of cash to throw around
Old 01-04-05, 06:12 PM
NileLegend
Rookie

Ive got another idea, im sure you guys have heard of a product made by AV Electronic that allows you to display DVD on the Nav screen. My idea is to purchse athe AV Electronic product, and then by a standalone Kenwood Navi system that would then plug into the DVD to NAV box and then use the Navi screen to display the new kenwood Navi.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 01-04-05, 06:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Ive got another idea, im sure you guys have heard of a product made by AV Electronic that allows you to display DVD on the Nav screen. My idea is to purchse athe AV Electronic product, and then by a standalone Kenwood Navi system that would then plug into the DVD to NAV box and then use the Navi screen to display the new kenwood Navi.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
I'd go for this one first, as soon as it is confirmed it will be also be plug and play for 98-00 cars (which should be soon). http://www.vaistech.com/
Old 01-04-05, 08:48 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

What do you guys think?

Thanks
What product is that? Would like to be able to display dvd in my car...
Old 01-04-05, 09:00 PM
NileLegend
Rookie

This is the Avelectronic Website:

http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm

I just came from a car stereo shop that claimed that units such as these can really mess up your Nav screen, one of the guys even claimed that he knew someone that had one of these setups and two weeks later their entire navi system went out. Has anyone heard of anything like that?

Thanks
Old 01-05-05, 07:39 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cost benefit analysis...

Goal: get better navigation.

Options:

1) $300 - get upgrade from dealership
2) $xxx - get av electronics adapter to watch DVDs AND pay an addition $xxx to get kenwood navigation setup. (keep in mind, this would be very redundant- you'd have 2 GPS antennas!)
3) $300 - get upgrade from dealership and pick up $xxx av electronics adapter to pipe in DVD.

I'd go with option 1 if watching DVD is not really a big deal for you. I have the Avic-N1 and watching DVDs in the car isn't really all that unless you're going for a long road trip. Come to think of it, during the work week I mainly listen to CNBC or Bloomberg on XM to get in the 'work mindset' and on the weekends I do CDs and music.

-Clifford
Old 01-05-05, 04:26 PM
NileLegend
Rookie

WHat Im considering doing now is taking out the entire navigation system, screen and ECU (Hard Drive), and selling that to someone on clublexus. The question I have are

1. will i be able to easily plug in a new AC control unit without any modification

2. will I need to cut any wires from my car

3. will installing a new nav system be easily possible without modifications?

4. Will i still be able to utilize all 7 speakers (4 speakers, 2 tweeters, and a sub), and how will I be able to do that?

Thanks

Last edited by NileLegend; 01-05-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 04:47 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I emailed Lexus Customer Satisfaction about the free upgrade that I read on CL. Lexus contacted my Lexus dealership and I was able to get a free upgrade on my 99 GS4.
Old 01-05-05, 06:30 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WHat Im considering doing now is taking out the entire navigation system, screen and ECU (Hard Drive), and selling that to someone on clublexus.
keep me in mind

Quick Reply: Upgrade '99 OEM NAVI, or get entire new System?