GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 10:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, at some point this will come to you. imho, if you still feel the love, then no need to sell. otherwise, it's time to move on. for me, honestly i am about to slow down the mods on my gs4, that's what i would hve and i will stay with that. we still love the gs4 and will drive it a lot more before we retire it, but i don't think it's still at the point where major money goes in

but we do think of replacement already -- ls430ul here i come
Old 01-04-05, 10:51 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Thinking Hard.

Originally Posted by GS4Will
d-man...your timing to pop this question could not have been better- i was in a similar situation few months ago. to me, basically it all comes down to these factors:

1. money/value of the car
based the historical value, " usually" when there is a new car model intro, the previous design will take a hit, such is true if the new design model is well received. then again, the opposite argument could hold as well. if this factor does not matter to you, then MOD ahead and try to sell the car later if you find yourself another new car that you GOTTA have

2. look of the car

this is a very very personal taste and decision. now when i see a nicely done GS, it still brings back nice memory as the GS, imho, is one of the best looking sport sedan, bar none

3. my few cents: if money does not play a BIG issue to you, AND you cannot find a suitable car for now(or do not have another car to drive), by all means keep and mod the GS. then pick up the 3rd gen GS few yrs from now when the car price is better with most the mods available from the land of rising sun
You brought up some good points there Will. I could not have said it any better.
Will
Old 01-04-05, 10:51 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how you feel, I knew that when I bought my car that the new model would be coming out soon and that the 2nd Gen would be a car of the masses. I was looking at a C32 Kompressor but I LOVE the body style and size of the GS.

Relax. There is a BIG difference between this:

and this:

and anyone can tell that they are two completely different cars. One looks like a $7K dollar toy and one looks like a $70K luxury sedan. I say enjoy yuour car and give the 3rd gen a couple years before buying.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 01-04-05 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-04-05, 10:56 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

TAMR..thank you..i tried..
Old 01-04-05, 11:54 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 gen gs

Originally Posted by Darius2010
I know how you feel, I knew that when I bought my car that the new model would be coming out soon and that the 2nd Gen would be a car of the masses. I was looking at a C32 Kompressor but I LOVE the body style and size of the GS.

Relax. There is a BIG difference between this:

and this:

and anyone can tell that they are two completely different cars. One looks like a $7K dollar toy and one looks like a $70K luxury sedan. I say enjoy yuour car and give the 3rd gen a couple years before buying.
yea i have to agree with darius on this one his coment was very well put but you 2 gen gs is a classic you don't retire those they live on and yes the 3gen is coming out but you know people gonna get 'em and rice the hell out of them like they did the 2 gen and 1st. just because it's gonna be a high $50k car doenst mean it can't get riced out i just take for one of those cars to hit a rap video and boom everybody and their mom got it sitting on spinners but if i was you i will keep doing the dam thing with the gs you got now
Old 01-05-05, 03:21 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gsdreams,
well it all comes down to your decision....but your gs is really nice! everything blends in soo well....as far as retiring the gs....up to you. but it would look even nicer with a bbk hehe
Old 01-05-05, 06:32 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Hey if you do sell...sell me your L-Sportline Kit
Old 01-05-05, 06:44 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Tough one...

It all comes down to what you feel comfortable in doing. I would suggest just to weigh out all your options and think it through before you do anything.

Definetly one of the hottest cars on CL.......Im in Brooklyn, shoot me a pm... love to see it in person
Old 01-05-05, 07:06 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i thoguht about this in may, becuase i bougth my car this year and i previosuly owned a 00 gs3... i personalyl just dont like the new style of the new GS. i mean of course it will be nice but i think they totally messed up the stying ques that made the GS such a popular car. they have IMHO made it look like a nissan. which is a bummer. this is why i went ahead and bought a 2 genm GS. i just think it will look better. NOW will it lose value YES>.. and i might sell my car this summer.. BUT will i do it to buy a 3rd gen GS NO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-05, 07:32 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

D-Man63:

First, when we met at HIN-AC, I checked out your ride and as I told you then, IT LOOKS SWEET AND CLASSY. CLEAN!

Anyone who knows anything, can see that.

Having been in the show scene for years now, when I judge cars,I view each individual car on its own merits. I don't care how many bastardized GS's are out there (see Wizard). So don't concern yourself with a bunch of chumps buying GS's and tastelessly modding them - They won't cheapen the Lexus GS class or the Lexus brand. They will only make themselves look the fool.

Secondly, its your money and I'm sure you work very hard to earn it, so you have the right to spend it anyway that you like.
However, I will offer you some advice and do with it whatever you choose to. Don't think that if you buy a 3rd Gen GS and mod it (spend $15-$30K) that you'll be at the top of the hill or alone in that regard for long. I've seen this time and time again and have learned this lesson very well.
Mod your car for your own enjoyment not to win shows or impress others. The CT/NY/NJ AREA IS FILLED TO THE ABSOLUTE BRIM WITH VERY VERY RICH PEOPLE WHO SPEND UNGODLY SUMS ON THEIR CARS. I GUARANTEE YOU THAT, WHEN THE 3RD GEN GS COMES OUT THERE WILL BE PLENTY AND I MEAN PLENTY OF BIG-*** BALLERS AND RICHIES WHO WILL GET IT AND MOD IT AND PUT IT ON THE SHOW SCENE BIG-TIME.
you won't be alone there for long.

The 2nd Gen GS has a timeless look and it will look great for a number of years to come. You can still do great things on the show scene and work with sponsors and vendor booths with a PREVIOUS GEN CAR.

A good buddy of mine has a Camry Show Car, Yes, you heard right! He is very very well known and his car has a major spread inthsi month's Performance Auto and Sound Magazine. His Camry is around 8 years old!!!!!!!!!

The decision is your's and there is no such thing as a bad decision here (as long as you don;t go into debt to buy or mod a car) so do whatever you want.

Best of luck to you.

If you do part out your ride, remember we talked about some stuff and contact me.

Ted
Old 01-05-05, 07:34 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1. if you are talking about the show scene than you realize that as is there aren't that many realy nice gs's out there, most shows i go to have is's or sc's mayb one GS. the show scene will never explode with Gs's becuase most of the younger crowd who want lexus's want is3's modded up and FI'd up. not big sedans. this i think would put anyone who really is doing a GS show car at an advantage cause the people who do mod gs's at well most of them don't know what they doing unless its a kit by procarparts or erubuni. with dub wheels. and LV interior.

you on the other hand are building a true GS sports show car like many of us are doing aswell with very tasteful mods yet enough to compete with the ghetto luxury cars out there if you continue to build her. this is the reason that certain shows are now doing V.I.P. sections and different classes cuz they see where the scene is going and are trying to add some different classes to cater to everyone.

2. if you are talking about design and our car fading away its not going to happen. the 3rd Gen GS is an ok design imo, but it doesn't have the curves or the lines or the aftermarket parts like our car does yet . it will take at least 2 years before you start to see big aftermarket toys for it mayb 3 years. the car will lose value thats for certain but not its love and beauty. our design is not an old square or old avolon looking design it has great curves and lines. if this was true as far as it getting old when a new design comes out that why are there so many great old Gen SC's out there? why do people still hook up the old 5 series and the old 3 series when the new body is out. cuz they love the design of the last 5 and 3 series and it has that classic timeless feel and look to it that will never die. i feel this same way about the 2nd gen GS. i think its a classic design that will never be outdated.

3. value. yes it will go down and yes you will be putting money into a car that has a downhill equity but if you think about everycar on this earth goes down in value but why do people mod them than. for the love of modding. why do people take old vettes or even old civics and old suv's and mod them like crazy, they do it cuz they want to mod it and make everyone know that they yes have a civic but its a one of the kind civic. trust me you aren't going to run into that many people who mod like you mod. count how many guys we have on this board right now that have modded the heck out of this car from bumper to bumper, lets say 30 its that alot compared to the 1000.0 of cars at show you will see across the country?

4. last thing (i know i'm makeing this long but i just got into it this while writing it) yes you will be seeing a lot more of our cars on the road in the next year cuz it will be more affordable to people and yes you will see kids and guys adding spinners and crazy kits and big wings but that doesn't mean " heck with this i'm out of here!" i look at it like those people will look at yours and be like "OH SNAP" where did he get that kit. why are his back wheels haveing a bigger lip than the front? how did he slam his car like that.

Look at it like your a teacher in a bigger classroom.

well anyway man make a good decision.

Last edited by bluelex; 01-05-05 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-05-05, 08:25 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bluelex
Look at it like your a teacher in a bigger classroom.
Quote of the day!

To be honest the GS has already taken its major depreciation hit, and I everytime I'm in Brooklyn I see another crappy one. (usually cheapest, biggest wheels they can afford, dull paint, or Fast N Furious aero kit). So the same way you stand out now, you will when the 3rd Gen hits the streets.
Old 01-05-05, 08:57 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
you want to do what? Keep it, or buy a GS430 and put all your goods on that and then ditch your GS3 as stock. I don't care for 06 GS exterior at all, and I'd give em a year or two to work out bugs and see if they revise exterior.Besides, your car looks nice & clean now.
just wanted to make clear I meant buy an 01-05 GS430 & put your goods on it.

I think 2ng gen 430s will also be way less common than 300s as punk ***, over size cheap rim sportin cheese mobiles.

also think the 06GS just doesn't cut it on looks, AT ALL!!!
Old 01-05-05, 09:02 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hey gang, thanks for all your responses and compliments, what a great bunch of guys on CL ! I have to admit , seeing more and more people here in NY with GS's that have no idea IMO of how to mod a car has me a little bummed out... Kinda makes me feel they are tarnishing the GS brand and 'lowering' the status of the car... Many of you made valid points of why I should keep the car.. Maybe its just that I see my car everyday for years and just gotten so used to it that I don't find my car that appealing because of the fact that I see it everyday.....

Also, the old E class, or even the 5 series, to tell you guys the truth, I have never seen a really riced out E or 5 series on the street.. For some reason its always the lex..

The way I see it , has there been ANY car manufacturer that came out with the next generation car that HASN'T been more successful than the last generation? (ex, E430 to the next gen E, 5 series to the new 5 series etc...). What I am trying to say is take for example the old E320, E430's... compare that to the new E.. In the same time period, I believe the new E sold alot more than the same time period that the old E had.. I believe(don't quote me on it), that every car manufacturer that came out with its next generation "something" always have better success in the same time period as the previois gen??
Old 01-05-05, 09:08 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
just wanted to make clear I meant buy an 01-05 GS430 & put your goods on it.

I think 2ng gen 430s will also be way less common than 300s as punk ***, over size cheap rim sportin cheese mobiles.

also think the 06GS just doesn't cut it on looks, AT ALL!!!

Hey Chuck, I know where u are coming from.. but from my standpoint, I will be taking a more of a finacial hit if I want to do that instead of going FI.. For example, gotta remove my bodykit, get it re-painted, take out my audio/visual stuff and reinstall that.. Find a buyer for my car, take a hit from that....For a stage 2 turbo, I would needaround $10k to have it running efficiently ($6k-7k) installed, then $3k for unexpected replacements, upgrades, tuning etc....

Quick Reply: Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?