GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 09:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
2. if you are talking about design and our car fading away its not going to happen. the 3rd Gen GS is an ok design imo, but it doesn't have the curves or the lines or the aftermarket parts like our car does yet . it will take at least 2 years before you start to see big aftermarket toys for it mayb 3 years. the car will lose value thats for certain but not its love and beauty. our design is not an old square or old avolon looking design it has great curves and lines. if this was true as far as it getting old when a new design comes out that why are there so many great old Gen SC's out there? why do people still hook up the old 5 series and the old 3 series when the new body is out. cuz they love the design of the last 5 and 3 series and it has that classic timeless feel and look to it that will never die. i feel this same way about the 2nd gen GS. i think its a classic design that will never be outdated.
Just for that reason alone (in addition to the other excellent reasons you pointed out blu, I would not get rid of the car.

Your car especially is so tastefully modded, it will NEVER look outdated.

My car does not look as nice as yours, but I will not be getting rid of it for the exact same reasons that Blu pointed out!
Old 01-05-05, 10:01 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
.. Maybe its just that I see my car everyday for years and just gotten so used to it that I don't find my car that appealing because of the fact that I see it everyday.....

Also, the old E class, or even the 5 series, to tell you guys the truth, I have never seen a really riced out E or 5 series on the street.. For some reason its always the lex..

hey d-man

the above rationale is one of the most compelling reasons as well as for my investment hunting i do why i am getting a daily driver thats on the opposite end of the spectrum , a truck so when i pull out the gs its like a new toy all over again

as far as ryced out bimmers and benzo's , come here to south florida and you will see m series with spinners and lights that look like they should be directing air traffic.. do it for self and enjoy it

its funny , alsilverbullet used to preach this theory to me while his baby was parked all week long he had his sweet a$$ turbo supra to beat on and when he stepped into the gs it was like a new car each time
Old 01-05-05, 10:17 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to think that regardless of a cars year, make or model, there will always be those that chose to rice out the cars. Ive too have seen a number of riced out GS's around my way, and while I shake my head each time they pass me by, I am always awed/envious when I see the rare, nicely (not ricely) fixed up ones pass me by. On another note, while I see the newer model luxury cars coming out, like the new BMW's, and Mercedes, I still enjoy seeing well modded older models (like the older m3's, and the older E and M classes). In those instances, I usually end up prefering them more than the newer models.
Old 01-05-05, 10:27 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

D,

your GS like the rest of ours will not outdate itself anytime in the near future.

1) the new GS still aint out yet-they are still making and selling 05's which is our identical body

2) when the new GS's come out, our value won't drop THAT much. I say "that" much because as I explained to a couple local GSers, the new GS is clearly targeted towards the wrong audience. It is too aggressive for the price category that it is in. The older person won't like it (who can afford it) and the younger person (like myself) who likes it, can't afford it.

I always say- If it ain't broken don't fix it!

but if you do decide to sell, keep me in mind for that l-sportline kit
Old 01-05-05, 10:36 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didnt take the time to read through all of these posts...so this may have alrady been said.

A few things to consider, one, the current GS body style has been around for awhile, but it also has just been replace. Menaing there are still newer ones rolling around, its not like your body style is three generations past.

Second thing is the price that you pay for a new one gives you that much cash wrapped up in a stock car...a nice car, but stock. By the time you put all of the mods ont he thing that you want to, you have twice the amount of money into the car as what you would have had in your fully modded current GS.

Third, the aftermarket options for the newer GS are going to take awhile to come around....ecspecially the all out mods, as in FI, etc...

Just food for thought!
Old 01-05-05, 10:47 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Older models that have been tastefully modded still look classy today.

Here's an example:
Attached Thumbnails Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?-clk.jpg  
Old 01-05-05, 11:09 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just sitting at a light when a spinner wheel caught the corner of my eye. I looked over and it was a 65-70 year old couple in a 2000ish Camry with chrome spinner hubcaps. It was F-ing hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at them.

Sorry to go off subject, it just reminded me of this thread
Old 01-05-05, 11:16 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
I was just sitting at a light when a spinner wheel caught the corner of my eye. I looked over and it was a 65-70 year old couple in a 2000ish Camry with chrome spinner hubcaps. It was F-ing hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at them.

Sorry to go off subject, it just reminded me of this thread

you need to see the 2000ish grand prix over here with chrome spinnin caps AND white wall vogue tires
Old 01-05-05, 11:24 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
you need to see the 2000ish grand prix over here with chrome spinnin caps AND white wall vogue tires
Sounds beautiful, but are Grandma & Grampa driving it? That's the best part
Old 01-05-05, 11:56 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Darius2010
Older models that have been tastefully modded still look classy today.

Here's an example:

darius

iam loving that shot .. that was one of my fav how about a 92-93 300ce 24 valve edition sportline . if you see one tastefully modded by amg or brabus etc you wont care that its about 13+ YRS OLD

sorry to go off topic but just for a minute
Old 01-05-05, 02:54 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

WHAT's WRONG WITH SPINNINER HUBCAPS?

THATS what I'm running on my DOPE TURBO CAMRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grandma got run over by a reindeer with spinning hoof caps!!!!!!!!!

Ted
Old 01-05-05, 03:19 PM
LexFather

Well, I've been thinking hard the last few weeks.. I been thinking of retiring my 2nd Gen GS and parting everything out and putting my energy on getting the 3rd GEN Gs.... Times are changing and I am not sure how long the 2nd Gen GS will still have the "appeal" factor it once held so greatly to people.. I am not sure if its "worth" to still mod my GS... I had big plans for the spring 2005 for my car.. I was literally dialing up SRT and asking Mo to make an appointment for me to install the stage 2 turbo, but I hung up the phone at the last second.... I remember when I first got my first GS back in 98 (gs4), I drove that car to death, put 150,000 miles on it then traded it to my brother-in-law for his much less mileage GS3.. Now I want my power back that i had in my GS4, and almost pulled the trigger for the turbo.... After debating to myself back and forth.. I don't know what to do...

What do you guys think? The second gen GS still have that appeal factor once the 3rd gen GS comes out? Once it comes out the price for the 2nd gen gs will plummet and will see more 'ghetto' gs's rolling around with funky bodykits and oh god "add-on spinners"...

This is one of the most current pic I have on my car at HIN last year, I added a few other minor mods to it, but I just don't know if its time to move on....

I just came from the mall and I was thinking about this thread. As I drove seemingly forever, I saw so many GS knock-offs, it does make you not want your car. It also is in my mind, I may not get a GS. Why?
When the GS debuted in 1998 until the bastard Altima in 2002, the shape was UNIQUE! There was nothing like it on the road. Period. There was no other car that had this cars shape.

What does Nissan do? They bastardize the GS. The Altima, looks like a fake GS. Same sloping hood, roofline, short trunk (and from the IS 300, Altezzas), turn signals in the headlights. If you look at the colors offered, its the SAME COLORS. Since this car is 12k at your local dealer to 30k for a SE-R, and it is a RENTAL, and sold in excess of 300,000 cars a year, well, OUR SHAPE IS NO LONGER ORIGINAL!! Its all over the place! If you visit Altimas.net, many state, a reason for purchase was it reminded them of what they wanted, a GS 300/400.

Then you add 100,000 Maximas that tried even harder to look like a Lexus GS, and well, you have HALF A MILLION cars a year that sadly, mimics the shape and design of the GS.

Our design is no longer original. Its all over now.

Lexus sold 30k GSs together in 1998 and 28k the following year in 1999. There simply ARE NOT MANY of them. Well now there are more, especially with the car hitting the used car lots.
Old 01-05-05, 05:14 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

The GS is a beautiful car, in design and driving experience......while you see them all over the place, you do not see many of them tastefully hooked up....notice I said tastefully. I used to get as many looks in my black GS as I did when I had my Supra (which was completely done up). Its still a bad *** car that stands out in the crowd when done right.

I will show you a good example in a month or two!!
Old 01-05-05, 05:50 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Chuck, I know where u are coming from.. but from my standpoint, I will be taking a more of a finacial hit if I want to do that instead of going FI.. For example, gotta remove my bodykit, get it re-painted, take out my audio/visual stuff and reinstall that.. Find a buyer for my car, take a hit from that....For a stage 2 turbo, I would needaround $10k to have it running efficiently ($6k-7k) installed, then $3k for unexpected replacements, upgrades, tuning etc....
I could look at 2nd gen GSes all day long. Almost like lookin at a hot girl
Old 01-05-05, 05:55 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
I could look at 2nd gen GSes all day long. Almost like lookin at a hot girl
Almost???

Quick Reply: Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?